19:11 pm
Hi fam! We're starting General Assembly here on Wall Street. Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4! #nycga #ows
19:12 pm
.@shawncarrie and @cmariedaniel are our facilitators tonight! We'll call them "Stairs" for short. #nycga #ows
19:12 pm
They're reviewing our handsignals, which we use to communicate non-verbally so as to leave room for voices to be heard. #nycga #ows
19:12 pm
First, signals for expressing feeling: uptwinkles: I agree, midtwinkles: I'm not sure, downtwinkles: I don't agree / don't like it. #nycga
19:13 pm
If people have a point of information to add relevant to the current discussion, they can put up one finger to let facilitators know. #nycga
19:13 pm
Secondly, a point of process is made with two hands in a triangle: / _ \ This says "we're off process and I'd like to guide us back." #nycga
19:14 pm
Finally, if you have a block during the end of the process when we check for consensus, cross your arms. A block is a "serious moral..."
19:15 pm
Cont'd: "...ethical, or safety concern that is so severe that if your block were overruled you may need to leave the movement." #nycga #ows
19:15 pm
Those signals will appear as we move thru the GA process. Also, if folks speak too long, you can gently use a spinning-hands signal.#nycga
19:15 pm
The first proposal tonight regards a call to action in response to the suppression of the #Occupy movement. First, working groups report.
19:16 pm
First, Jeff, Minutes WG! "The minutes working group has made some changes to the way we do things in order to better serve the needs..."
19:16 pm
Cont'd: "...of the GA, the Spokescouncil, and all working groups, and want to let everyone know in the spirit of transparency." #nycga
19:16 pm
Cont'd; "In the past, Minutes has tried to create verbatim transcripts of each meeting. This is a lot of work and has resulted in delays.."
19:17 pm
Cont'd: "...before minutes were posted, which inconvenienced working groups and made our movement less transparent." #nycga #ows
19:17 pm
Minutes will now post notes on results of process, rather than transcripts, by 24 hours after the end of the meeting. They'll invite..
19:18 pm
Cont'd: ...folks to use audio recordings of meetings posted on nycga.net to create full transcripts. #nycga #ows
19:18 pm
They'll also try to help working groups take good minutes. "Any questions or concerns please contact us: minutes@nycga.net 9178305315."
19:20 pm
Next, Anthony, Class War Working Group. "We're going to be working on an action for March 31st in solidarity w/ an action that's going..."
19:20 pm
Cont'd: "...to go on in Europe; will contact radical groups in other cities." Meet Wednesdays at 5; check nycga.net for locations. #nycga
19:20 pm
Next, Aventos: "I have just 1 suggestion here; a PoI, which is this: the PoP sign reminds ppl of the Illuminati." Asks us to make a new 1.
19:21 pm
Shawn replies, noting that the PoP signal in Boston is two fingers pointed together horizontally. He'll recognize either. #nycga #ows
19:22 pm
Street Medics remind us to get in touch with them before actions so they can easily be there! #nycga #ows
19:22 pm
Next, Shazz is autonomously calling for a meeting to reform "how we handle money at Occupy Wall Street". Notes he has December bank stmnts.
19:23 pm
Cont'd: "We can talk about spending $ in this movement more transparently." Need many ppl who care about issue and #OWS. 6pm, Mon, 60 Wall.
19:23 pm
Next, Trish. "I'm with the NYCGA Council! It's a GA working group. We have 3 things we're working on, successful at 2..." #nycga #ows
19:23 pm
Cont'd: "...one was related to a proposal to remove an individual from the GA process. We prevented that from appearing." [Huh? -Ed.] #nycga
19:24 pm
Trish: "We will continue to uphold the integrity of the New York City General Assembly." Now on to the first proposal! #nycga #ows
19:24 pm
Stairs: "We'll start with 20 minutes for this proposal." Proposer, Sam! "I'm with the -- we're not really a working group, we're just..."
19:25 pm
Cont'd: "...a committee that's gotten together to address the coordinated suppression of all the Occupy movements." #nycga #ows
19:25 pm
"We're attempting to bring together a call to action to address these concerns. The past 2 months have witnessed something very..." #nycga
19:26 pm
Cont'd: "...different in the US. People of all different walks of life came together to address the issues of the US." "Our basic message.."
19:26 pm
Cont'd: "...came through" evn admist suppression. Proposer: "Tht was from the call for mass action to protest the suppression of the mvmnt."
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "Even admist the good things people are doing across the country in this movement," brutal suppression goes on. #nycga #ows
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "This is a proposal for the #OWS GA to support a call for mass action against the suppression, and a day of mass action..." #nycga
19:28 pm
Cont'd: "...organized by the people who came together around this call." "The press has told ppl this is over- we need to call..." #nycga
19:28 pm
Cont'd: "...to those millions of people, for one day of mass action and then going forward together." #nycga #ows
19:28 pm
Someone from Stop Stop and Frisk is here, saying that "many in this movement" have come to recognize injustices familiar to him. #nycga #ows
19:28 pm
"All this violence and the beatings- unnecessary. For a non-violent movement, unacceptable." Need to bring everyone else in to stand w/ us.
19:29 pm
Someone else was arrested N17 " and was glad to do it. I'm with this group because I saw my brothers and sisters slammed on the ground..."
19:29 pm
Cont'd: "...there's no reason for that. They gave themselves up for arrest and were slammed on the ground." "I'm angry...they're slamming.."
19:30 pm
Cont'd: "...their hammers on our fingers." Notes that they prevent our actions with brutality. "My neighbors don't know much about #OWS.."
19:30 pm
Cont'd: "..but they're sympathetic. But what really gets them frosted is when they see brutalities against #OWS." "Americans get..." #nycga
19:30 pm
Cont'd: "...real angry when they see a raw deal being done against innocent people. And that's where we are now." #nycga #ows
19:30 pm
Proposer: "Most of America don't know the response against non-violent people." CNN called it "tension in Oakland" last weekend. #nycga
19:31 pm
So, again the proposal, is to support this call for mass action, and to organize a day of mass action here. #nycga #ows
19:31 pm
Stairs: "We'll start with clarifying questions to be sure the proposal is completely clear to you guys." #nycga #ows
19:31 pm
Cont'd: "Next, we'll hear concerns from the group about things that might have you wavering on this proposal." #nycga #ows
19:32 pm
Cont'd: "Then, we'll hear friendly amendments to resolve concerns and move towards consensus." #nycga #ows
19:32 pm
Cont'd: "Then, we'll ask for standasides and blocks and check for consensus on the proposal." #nycga #ows
19:32 pm
Nan's CQ: "You should have given the GA a chance to read this. And have you gone to DA about this?" #nycga #ows
19:33 pm
A: "We're going to direct action tomorrow with this. We've been to GAs 2 or 3 times to pass this out and emailed it like crazy." #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
CQ, Jack: "That incident that happened in Oakland- they pulled out that beautiful flag and burnt it? Was that good or bad?" #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
Jack answers the question on his own. "That was bad. We don't burn flags." Stairs notes that this isn't related to this particular proposal.
19:34 pm
Sage says that Jack is asking the question of how we feel abt "violent action." Proposer clarifies they're calling for "non-violent action".
19:35 pm
Proposer doesn't know anything about what may or may not have happened in Oakland. #nycga #ows
19:35 pm
Sage: "You're asking us to stand in solidarity w/ the #occupiers in Oakland, right? Against the oppression of the #occupy movement?" #nycga
19:36 pm
A: "On Nov 17th, this wasn't about Oakland, it was right here." We were "evicted violently." "We've seen the violent repression first-hand."
19:36 pm
A: "We're non-violent protesters. We have the right to speak our mind and do so in a safe environment. The violence is being brought to us."
19:37 pm
CQ: "I see a lot abt what you wnt to accomplish and the reason you wnt to accomplish it, but I don't see wht the mechanism is going to be."
19:38 pm
CQ cont'd: "Is this going to be a standing rally, or are we taking baseball bats to a precinct?" Wants tactical clarity. #nycga #ows
19:38 pm
Someone interjects, noting he's a vet and would have left the movement but knows that some people will do some "nutsy" things. #nycga #ows
19:38 pm
"We want to make a statement and disperse. Not to be provocative, but we want to bring attention to the brutalities that come to us..."
19:38 pm
Cont'd: "...when we're minding our own business using our own civil rights. It's a very good question, thank you." #nycga #ows
19:39 pm
Stairs notes there are 10 minutes left. Angela, DC: "I know at McPherson they were tossed this weekend; didn't see news today. Regarding.."
19:39 pm
Cont'd: "...what's going on here, I see signatures all over, calling for February 27th movement here in New York? And continuing May 1st?"
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "Is there communication w/ other cities for the 27th?" A: "This mobilization should mostly be here in New York," other places too
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "We're going to make an attempt to get to as many GAs as we can in the next week" for actions that day or shortly thereafter. #nycga
19:41 pm
OK, concerns. Chris: "My concern is, this being a peaceful action, how do we control the ones that are among us that won't take this..."
19:41 pm
Cont'd: "...as a peaceful action? How are we going to control, whereas this is peaceful?" #nycga #ows
19:41 pm
A: We're nonviolent; these are ancillary people. #nycga #ows
19:42 pm
Chris is pressing them about this. "How do we as people address this? If we come in peace, how do we address the ones who aren't?" #nycga
19:43 pm
One more clarifying question. Chepe! "So, I had 2 quick Qs: one was, didn't hear if y'all had gone to the sub-working group of the..."
19:43 pm
Cont'd: "...legal working group, the anti-repression committee? And how and by whom was this written?" #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
A: "No, we have not gone to the committee." "An earlier draft was brought to them, we'd been discussing it with them, but.." #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
Cont'd: "...they haven't influenced the call. They know about it, and they know the date. But hasn't been consented to by them." #nycga #ows
19:45 pm
We're at time on this discussion; Stairs calls for a temperature check on 10 more minutes. Mostly uptwinkles; we'll continue. #nycga #ows
19:45 pm
First concern: @shushugah. "I know this document has come from the Revolutionary Community Party, and I agree w/ it but worry about..."
19:45 pm
Cont'd: "...the intentions of this proposal, whether they are co-optive or want to influence the movement." #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
They decline to respond to tht. Anthony starts to congrat thm for not doing it through DA; "not every action should be brought thru them."
19:47 pm
First response: "This call was published in Revolutionary Newspaper as a gift to the movement." Since, taken up by many others. #nycga #ows
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "We can't keep up with all the ppl who are endorsing this thing. This was put forward in Revolution Newspaper b/c some ppl..."
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "...thought this is what needs to happen." Want to open up discussion and stand up for the movement. "If you want, and we want..."
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "...this movement not to be suppressed, to beat back the suppression by police, we need to call on the people." #nycga #ows
19:49 pm
Lady's concern: "How to do it? How this action will be presented? How to do it in a positive way and get positive feedback in the news?"
19:49 pm
My concern was that they should speak to DA first, because it would change the stakeholders who'd be in attendance for the proposal. #nycga
19:50 pm
I also noted that the conversation about non-violence is concernedly alarmist. "People are acting like there's a violence problem here..."
19:50 pm
Cont'd: "...and I just don't see it. There were isolated incidents last week for the *first time*. We've done a great job staying peaceful."
19:51 pm
To respond to Lady, proposers note that the media will do whatever they want; if we can get numbers out, that speaks for itself. #nycga #ows
19:51 pm
Nan's concern: "You say this is a call for mass action against the Suppression of the Occupy Movement." But she feels that before... #nycga
19:51 pm
Cont'd: ...we deal with suppression against the movement, we should deal with oppression in the movement first. Says people are being...
19:52 pm
Cont'd: ...oppressed by individuals and working groups in this movement. #nycga #ows
19:52 pm
Darrel's concerns/FA: "One, I understand there's been negative portrayals in the media. But largely, the action's huge, but how..." #nycga
19:53 pm
Cont'd: "...it's perceived is the real war. I want to know that in the time between now and then that you'll be working with media to..."
19:53 pm
Cont'd: "...build a message about police brutality- a narrative." Wants videos, data, info posted ahead of the event. #nycga #ows
19:53 pm
Darrel points out "now you know what it is to be black in America." The stuff we see in #Occupy is "the same stuff we see in the Bronx..."
19:54 pm
Cont'd: "...and in Brooklyn every day." Proposes that something about that be added into the proposal to acknowledge this truth. #nycga #ows
19:54 pm
A: "These are things we've been working on. 1, we've been talking to a human rights attorney who wants to document the repression.."
19:54 pm
Cont'd: ...and also media people to help get the messaging right. Trish's concern is next. #nycga #ows
19:55 pm
Trish: "This movement is so multi-faceted. We have so many sections, so many ppl, so many aspirations and goals..." #nycga #ows
19:55 pm
Cont'd: "..and what we're finding now in 2012 is there are too many people who want to use the name Occupy Wall Street." #nycga #ows
19:57 pm
Trish then went into a factually incorrect rant about the Spokescouncil and how it authorizes direct actions. [It doesn't. -Ed.] #nycga #ows
20:00 pm
That's it for the additional 10 minutes of this proposal. Temp checking extending for an additional 10? OK. Now friendly amendments. #nycga
20:03 pm
Lady's FA: "On that day, we occupy Zuccotti Park in the fullest of numbers." A: "No, because that is arrestable." Don't want... #nycga #ows
20:04 pm
Cont'd: ..to ask people to risk arrest. "We will march there, but to occupy..." #nycga #ows
20:04 pm
Chris' FA is to insist that we need to have some kind of accountability between protesters. #nycga #ows
20:04 pm
A: "We're a non-violent movement to begin with." They will plan and organize a non-violent march, they repeat again. #nycga #ows
20:05 pm
FA: "In the interest of clarity, unless you're accusing other movements, you should call it Occupy Wall Street." #nycga #ows
20:07 pm
She also wanted to add "nonviolent" to the call; they accept that but decline to include Occupy Wall Street vs Occupy in the titlle. #nycga
20:07 pm
Sage's FA: "Occupying does not mean showing up and getting your butt arrested and kicked out of a space. It means standing in a park..."
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "...for 12 hours, and you have an umbrella and clothes, and then you switch with your buddy." Sage indicates that if they... #nycga
20:08 pm
Cont'd: ...don't support or understand the full meaning of Occupation, he won't participate in this resolution. #nycga #ows
20:09 pm
Sage clarifies, points out that when we made Spokescouncil, there was no special mention of the camp because we took it for granted. #nycga
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "...can once again be out in the street, calling attention to these questions." Proposers decline the amendment. #nycga #ows
20:10 pm
He's frustrated that we haven't re-occupied, blames those who don't want to connect with homeless people. #nycga #ows
20:10 pm
Sage: "All I ask is that the name of the brand stays in touch with what the brand means. And the name Occupy means to occupy." #nycga
20:10 pm
A: "We're calling for thousands of people to come to the streets against the suppression of the Occupy movement, so that this movement.."
20:11 pm
Nan's FA. "My friendly amendment is my concern that you guys basically blew off. I feel this way, and my feeling will remain, and as..."
20:11 pm
Cont'd: "...an individual in front of the GA body, if you're calling for mass actions against suppression of #Occupy, there are lots..."
20:11 pm
Cont'd: "...of people who've been marginalized or suppressed in this movement." Before we do anything else, need to fix house. #nycga #ows
20:11 pm
Cont'd; "I cannot put my vote into this action when I know there's corruption and suppression, marginalization and evil in this movement."
20:13 pm
Nan wants them to add some kind of statement about this to the call to action. Proposers are deliberating. #nycga #ows
20:13 pm
A: "Two points: we'll take your concerns to the next ad-hoc meeting against the suppression of the Occupy movement, and two..." #nycga
20:14 pm
Cont'd: ".. I want to read something in here: this should most of all be in New York, where the movement started." Mmm. #nycga #ows
20:15 pm
I made a friendly amendment that they take this proposal to direct action tomorrow because that's how we plan actions. #nycga #ows
20:16 pm
The proposers answer that it's "irrelevant" and they don't need the support of DA. They want to talk to DA after the fact. #nycga #ows
20:18 pm
They decline the friendly amendment. Anthony's PoI: "DA is not endorsing things anymore and is encouraging autonomous action." #nycga
20:19 pm
Next FA: "Come back with a plan of action." A march is not an action against suppression. #nycga #ows
20:20 pm
A: "This is the plan, and then you tell me if you need more clarification. The plan is to gather at Union Square on the 27th, rally at 5pm."
20:20 pm
Cont'd: "...and then have a non-violent rally and march." OK, we're going through consensus. Temp check is warm. #nycga #ows
20:21 pm
Restating proposal. "This is a proposal for the GA of OWS to support a call to mass action against the supression of the #Occupy movement.."
20:22 pm
Cont'd: "...and a day of mass action on February 28th." Amndmnts are to put nonviolence in title, make effort to address media positively.
20:22 pm
Stairs: "That's the proposal; now we're going to move into the actual decision-making process." First, will ask for standasides... #nycga
20:23 pm
No standasides, which would indicate disagreement but not unwillingness to consent. Now, blocks, indicating a moral, ethical, safety cncrn?
20:23 pm
So, we'll hear each of the blocks - I think there's 3. #nycga #ows
20:29 pm
6 blocks, sorry. Tim: "I have to block this because people have put hours and hours into making plans with which this conflicts."#nycga #ows
20:29 pm
Tim suggests that the group goes to DA to collaborate and if they say they should do it autonomously, come back and block is resolved.#nycga
20:32 pm
They decline. Al's issue is that they didn't answer his questions clearly and their proposal might change meaning of "Occupy." #nycga #ows
20:33 pm
Al wants to know who he's voting for and why they're changing the name before he lifts his block. #nycga #ows
20:34 pm
Stairs announces that it's come to his attention that the proposers will table the proposal. #nycga #ows
20:35 pm
Proposers feel caught between two sides. [IMO they just are making a classic mistake of not participating in Occupy before proposing to it.]
20:35 pm
Stairs: "That was the only proposal on the agenda tonight, so it seems like y'all don't need us anymore!" Next, announcements. #nycga #ows
20:36 pm
Yoni: "Vision and Goals will be seeking consensus a complete vision document." Meeting 60 Wall, tomorrow at 6pm. #nycga #ows
20:36 pm
Nan announces that 2 weeks from now they'll release a list of names they are planning on suing for slander (against her.) [OOOK. -Ed.]#nycga
20:37 pm
Lady's announcement: "This is about how we're progressing in the movement. A lot of us need to find a way to occupy our minds..." #nycga
20:37 pm
Cont'd: "...and hearts first." This is not an announcement. #nycga #ows
20:40 pm
Archives is having an open forum tomorrow, says Christine! At Judson Memorial church! More info at nycga.net! #nycga #ows
20:41 pm
Anthony mentions that the Staten Island GA is 1-4 Saturday a week from today. "It's just a ferry away! And Fuck Monsanto!" #nycga #ows
20:42 pm
Angela: "I'm coming from DC; I actually live in Maryland and volunteer on the weekends at McPherson Square. Next Friday, we'd like as..."
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "...much support at the CPAC conference in DC." Will have a rally, been thinking of ways to make "nonviolent noise" to get... #nycga
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "...positive impression." Agrees we need to occupy differently, feels that loss of last DC camps are a "sad day." #nycga #ows
20:45 pm
Cont'd: "They got kicked out of MacPherson Square. Homeland Security was there for the first time this week." #nycga #ows
20:46 pm
Stairs thanks her, notes the need for solidarity with DC that "went through hell today." #nycga #ows
20:46 pm
Tony from BAI: "Ellis was jailed; he needs $ on his books for bail. There's a machine at 100 Center where you can put $ in to support him."
20:47 pm
Tony is very concerned with the lack of bail money for Ellis from #OWS. [Worth noting, he was arrested during a non-OWS action. -Ed.] #nycga
20:48 pm
Jeff from Minutes: "People may not know the relationship between DA and GA and this and that." Suggests a teach-in. #nycga #ows
20:49 pm
That's it for announcements! Stairs: "We're going to close the GA! Thank you very much for your participation." That's it, fam. #nycga #ows