16:32 pm
RT @OccupyWallStNYC: .@OWSLibrary librarian finally released from police custody after 26 hours following #OaklandSolidarity march. Libr ...
19:19 pm
GA is getting going here in Liberty Square! Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4 for livetweets. #nycga #ows
19:19 pm
David, who'll keep time tonight, is explaining the hand signals we use to communicate w/o needing to speak. #nycga #ows
19:19 pm
Uptwinkles = I feel good about this, mid-twinkles = I'm in the middle or need more info, down-twinkles = I don't like this. #nycga #ows
19:20 pm
A point of process, made by forming a /_\ with two hands, tells the facilitators that you feel the process is off-track. #nycga #ows
19:21 pm
A point of information is indicated with 1 finger raised. This tells the facilitators that you have a fact to share pertinent to the topic.
19:22 pm
"And this," David says, "is a signal I hope no one has to use: a block." This indicates you have a SEVERE moral, ethical, or safety concern.
19:22 pm
Stairs will now review the agenda. "We'll start with working group reportbacks. Then, the first agenda item is..." #nycga #ows
19:22 pm
Cont'd: "...from Marsha; it's about the GA weekend schedule. The next agenda item is from Movement for Justice en el Barrio." #nycga #ows
19:23 pm
Cont'd: "The third agenda item is from Ted Hall, and it's a request to ban an individual. The fourth item is a breakout discussion..."#nycga
19:23 pm
Cont'd: "...from Vision and Goals. & the last item is a proposal to bring the GA indoors during winter. We'll then close w/ announcements."
19:23 pm
Daniel, one of our facilitators: "The soil of consensus is respect and mutual understanding. These things require an open, flexible mind."
19:24 pm
Cont'd: "So, as facilitation, we ask you, please check within yourself, again and again: am I being respectful? Am I trying to understand.."
19:24 pm
Cont'd: "..the other person? If we all do this, we can move toward consensus. And we can change the world. So, let's go!" #nycga #ows
19:25 pm
Working groups stacking up for reportbacks now. Adam, from Trade Justice, is first. "We've had a busy week! We presented..." #nycga #ows
19:25 pm
Cont'd: "...at the eco cluster Saturday, then a workshop Sunday at the first Occupy Town Square, on the Transpacific partnership.." #nycga
19:25 pm
Cont'd: "...which is a 9-country NAFTA for the pacific." We'll have an action b/c it's currently being negotiated. "One of the things.."
19:26 pm
Cont'd: "...they're negotiating is extending drug patents," which will put lifesaving drugs out of reach. Thanks Pfizer! #nycga #ows
19:26 pm
Cont'd; "This Wednesday, we'll be protesting at Pfizer's corporate office. We'll have the CEO and President Obama walking over the..."
19:26 pm
Cont'd: "...bodies of ppl who will die b/c they can't get their medication, while throwing money in the air," plus more theater. #nycga #ows
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "They're keeping the text, the documents of this negotiation secret until 4 years after it's ratified, which means the only..."
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "...thing anyone gets to see is the final text before it's voted on, which completely locks out civil society from having any..."
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "...voice in the agreement, while corporations have roles" advising it. The 1% are on the inside while the 99% are locked out.#nycga
19:28 pm
That's Wednesday, check nycga.net for the details. #nycga #ows
19:28 pm
Next, Nan. "I've been very excited reading every comment that some of you have posted online and also nycga.net, but my..." #nycga #ows
19:29 pm
Cont'd: "...working group is about to file a lawsuit against some of you. I'm just reporting to you." #nycga #ows
19:29 pm
OK, time for the first agenda item! Marsha: "I see there's a lot on the agenda tonight, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet." #nycga
19:30 pm
Marsha's proposal is that weekend GAs be held at 2pm from November to March, and 5pm the rest of the year. #nycga #ows
19:30 pm
Cont'd: "I'm proposing this because I know a lot of ppl have a hard time being here at night during the winter." #nycga #ows
19:30 pm
Cont'd: "Also, this will open up our meetings to families, so we can show grade-school aged children, this is what democracy looks like!"
19:31 pm
Now opening stack for clarifying questions. "Raise your hand if you want to get on stack!" First CQ: "Why are the working group meetings.."
19:32 pm
Cont'd: "..taking place at the same time as the General Assembly?" A: "I'm not empowered to answer that question, I'm sorry." #nycga #ows
19:32 pm
CQ responds: "I think it would be great if people had the option to go to both." Someone notes that some working groups are meeting now....
19:32 pm
"...so I don't think that changing the time will make a difference." CQer notes that she left one early to be here on time. #nycga #ows
19:33 pm
A: "The facilitation proposal that was passed to have 3 meetings a wk was to accomodate more ppl, to concentrate efforts on being..." #nycga
19:33 pm
Cont'd: "...able to come to the GA. I think this does that as well." David's POI: "Working groups schedule their own meeting times." #nycga
19:34 pm
Cont'd: "They know when this meeting is. So, talk to them!" CQer will, by golly. Stairs gives last call for CQ stack. #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
Rich's CQ: "I'm w/ Info and De-escalation. I'm here almost every day, including the weekends. And I believe that her proposal is an.."#nycga
19:35 pm
Cont'd: "...excellent proposal, as I speak to supporters who visit Saturday all day, but when I say it's 7pm they can't be here."#nycga #ows
19:36 pm
Stairs: "Stack is now closed. Now, we're opening up stack for concerns! Raise your hand high to get on stack!" #nycga #ows
19:36 pm
First concern: "It's cold outside, and my nipple hurts! Is there anybody from comfort w/ a hot pack for my nipple?" [Hahahahah. -Ed.] #nycga
19:37 pm
Next concern: Jack. "One thing you need to remember: we're standing on holy ground, also known as the holy land of #OWS!" #nycga #ows
19:37 pm
Jack cont'd: "And that's it! Forever! So even if we have meetings somewhere else, i.e. like Sunday at WSP... we're still in the spirit..."
19:38 pm
Cont'd: "...of this holy land. So, welcome to the holy land of Occupy Wall Street!" Stairs acknowledges the Points of process up now...
19:38 pm
Stairs: "I think I know what it is, so we're going to keep going. But I'd like to remind everyone, please show respect to the proposer."
19:38 pm
Next concern, Kyle. "Hi! My concern is that this proposal's designed to bring more families and children to the GAs. I feel that having.."
19:39 pm
Cont'd: "...the meetings at 5 would prevent working families and children from getting here in time. I'd like to say, perhaps 6?" #nycga
19:39 pm
A: "How would 5:00 on a Saturday prevent families and children from being here?" Clarifies this is only for weekends + 2pm during winter.
19:40 pm
OK, that's it for concerns! "We're now going to move on to Friendly Amendments." Opening stack. "Don't all raise yr hands at once!" #nycga
19:41 pm
Sage's FA is that "you make sure to coordinate w/ Kitchen and the website, and keep the relationship open so ppl Saturday" are being...
19:41 pm
Cont'd: ...supported by our community. A: "I accept that friendly amendment." That's it for friendly amendments... temp checking! #nycga
19:42 pm
Stairs: "How do we feel about this proposal?" Then, "It looks pretty good!" Now we'll move to consensus; proposer will restate first. #nycga
19:42 pm
Proposal: "I propose that GA meetings Saturday be held at 2pm starting November to March, and at 5pm on Saturdays the rest of the year..."
19:42 pm
Cont'd: "...keeping in mind to keep communication with the Kitchen, so we can support the rest of the park!" #nycga #ows
19:43 pm
Stairs: "OK, we'll move to consensus. First, we'll check for standasides. A standaside is when you object to the proposal, but not..."#nycga
19:43 pm
Cont'd: "...so strongly that it rises to the level of a block." Any standasides on the proposal? There is one standaside: Nan. #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
Stairs: "Nan, would you like to speak on behalf of your standaside?" Someone interrupts to make an "emergency" announcement about someone...
19:45 pm
Cont'd: ...who's in jail. He proposes we have a massive rally Saturday in support. Stairs acknowledges the points of process... #nycga #ows
19:45 pm
...but makes sure he's done. He seems unsatisfied; Stairs asks what we can do. "Spread the word," he said. "Saturday." #nycga #ows
19:46 pm
PoI: "An affinity group is working on getting him out." Nan will explain her standaside now. #nycga #ows
19:46 pm
Nan: "It's not about the time, it's about the date. There are Jewish ppl that might not be able to attend on Saturday." #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
A: "I've talked to some Jewish ppl about this, and they said that during Summer, it didn't get dark until way after 9pm, and they..." #nycga
19:47 pm
Cont'd: "...didn't come to those GAs anyway." Nan says she knows otherwise, but it's not that she's against, she's just standing aside.
19:47 pm
Stairs will now test for blocks, which are a "moral, ethical, or safety concern" so severe that if it passed, "you'd leave the movement."
19:48 pm
We have one block. Lady: "My block is because I don't think we are consistent with anything we do in this movement and I think that..."
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "...is a consistent 7:00 meeting that has happened since the beginning and should continue to the end inside Zuccotti Park." #nycga
19:50 pm
Someone PoPs, saying a block "should be a moral, ethical, or safety concern." Lady insists it is, because she doesn't like the proposal. OK.
19:50 pm
The proposer decides to move on to modified consensus, which requires 90% support from the GA to pass the proposal. #nycga #ows
19:52 pm
Stairs: "If you want to vote against this proposal, please raise your hand." There are 6 against; we'll need 61 to pass it. #nycga #ows
19:53 pm
Stairs: "We counted 34 hands in favor of this proposal; it does not pass modified consensus." Proposer thanks us and steps down. #nycga #ows
19:54 pm
Stairs: "So, we're going to move on to the next proposal, which is from Movement for Justice en el Barrio." #nycga #ows
19:54 pm
MfJelB: "Receive greetings and solidarity from Movement for Justice en el Barrio, in East Harlem, NY! Women around the world..." #nycga
19:55 pm
Cont'd: "...are rising up and saying enough! They're organizing new movements, from Chiapas to Egypt, Greece to Spain, S. Africa to NY.."
19:55 pm
Cont'd: "...and everywhere in between. They are indignatas outraged by the staggering inequalities, violence, deceit, hatred of democracy.."
19:55 pm
Cont'd: "...corruption, and lack of respect for our planet" that characterize "this nightmarish status quo." #nycga #ows
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "At the forefront of these global movements are countless dignified women who resound in different colors and languages across..."
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "...the lands. They are spearheading the movement and battling injustice head-on and w/o compromise at enormous risk." #nycga #ows
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "In honor of the tremendous leadership and contributions of women everywhere, Movement for Justice en el Barrio has..." #nycga #ows
19:57 pm
Cont'd: "...organized an International Women's Day Celebration, as we do every year, to take place March 8th." #nycga #ows
19:57 pm
"Movement for Justice en el Barrio and the Global Justice working group propose the following: that the General Assembly of #OWS celebrate..
19:57 pm
Cont'd: "...and honor the noble, dignified contributions of women in our movements, and to support by encouraging members of all working.."
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "...groups and caucuses to attend." Stairs gives the proposal 20 minutes, notes we can extend if we want to spend more time. #nycga
19:59 pm
Opening stack for clarifying questions. None! Now opening stack on concerns, then! "Raise your hands high!", Stairs says. #nycga #ows
19:59 pm
.... long pause... Stairs: "So, there seem to be no concerns! Since friendly amendments come from concerns, I'm just going to ask if..."
19:59 pm
Cont'd: "...bychance anyone has a friendly amendment, please raise your hand!" "Nope, don't see any of those either!" Tempchecking proposal.
20:00 pm
Stairs: "That looks pretty good! If the proposer could restate the proposal..." #nycga #ows
20:00 pm
Restating: "Movement for Justice en el Barrio and the Global Justice WG propose that the GA publically endorse and support our..." #nycga
20:00 pm
Cont'd: "...International Women's Day Celebration, and encourage members of all working groups and caucuses to attend!" #nycga #ows
20:01 pm
Stairs now asking if there are any standasides on this proposal. None! "Now I'm going to ask for any blocks! There were no concerns, so..."
20:02 pm
Cont'd: "...I shouldn't see any blocks. But I'm still gonna ask!" Hahah. "Are there any blocks?" No blocks! Consensus! Woooo! #nycga #ows
20:02 pm
Stairs: "We just found out that came in at about 4 minutes for the consensus process. Moving along!" Woooo. #nycga #ows
20:02 pm
Stairs: 'The next proposal is from Ted Hall. This proposal is significantly different than the proposal that was on the Internet." #nycga
20:03 pm
Cont'd: "So, I'll allow Ted Hall to explain." Robert point of processes it: "If it isn't the prop on the Internet, it can't be brought."
20:04 pm
Stairs acknowledges this concern. Ted will explain, and then we'll temp check whether to hear it. #nycga #ows
20:04 pm
Ted: "The proposal got a massive amount of feedback, but it seems unfortunately that I will have to post it online. I would like to..."
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "..share some of my experience with this rather contentious and pressing proposal that was originally written, if you'd like to..."
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "..hear that. I could save it for announcements." Stairs wants to temp check: "If you want to hear a little about why it's..."#nycga
20:06 pm
Cont'd: "...different, twinkle up." Robert grumbles; Stairs notes that the temp check was vastly positive. We'll hear from Ted. #nycga #ows
20:06 pm
Ted: "I see, and felt, a very dangerous reaction within our community to try to adopt an exclusionary process. I feel and understand..."
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "...from speaking to people at other assemblies that we are at a very slippery slope. It was very hard to sleep at night, trying..."
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "...to account for all the perspectives being thrown at me, b/c we had sort of a freak accident last week that highlighted..."#nycga
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "...fundamental problems that challenge the way our movement operates." Sage mic checks, saying he doesn't feel comfortable..#nycga
20:08 pm
Cont'd: ...functioning with inside information or doublespeak." Wants to know what the shock is Ted's talking about. #nycga #ows
20:08 pm
Ted: "Last week, ppl from another occupation came to the assembly and very nearly successfully stopped it. Several were drunk, some..."
20:08 pm
Cont'd: "...were punched in the face, I saw a lot of issues around that and tried to address it at that time. I now see that many..."
20:09 pm
Cont'd: "...of us focused on Nan, when actually Nan did not punch anybody." "That day," someone points out. Ted: "And we do..." #nycga #ows
20:09 pm
Cont'd: "...have issues as a community, I think, with how Nan operates at times. But through writing this proposal, and this reaction..."
20:09 pm
Cont'd: "...many people are holding, I see that we're on a slippery slope to become an exclusionary body that is actually ill-equipped.."
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "...to deal with these community issues. So this proposal I've written, w/ feedback from everyone else, will be shared online..."
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "...for a later time." Stairs notes that "many people feel very strongly about this issue, so I encourage you to talk about it..."
20:11 pm
Cont'd: "...with each other, and try to come to an understanding." Both Ashley and Nan are trying to force a stack to open up... #nycga #ows
20:11 pm
Stairs: "Everybody / chill out / we're all in this together! Let's not fight. We are *not* opening stack, and that is final. We are going.."
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "...to move on. I'm sorry to those of you who don't agree with this." "So, next..." Lots of people wanted to talk about Nan. #nycga
20:13 pm
Anthony: GA can be a place for discussion as well as deliberation, and if we want to talk about it, we can. "Know your process!" #nycga
20:13 pm
Stairs: "From my perspective up here, I saw a lot of uptwinkles on that discussion suggestion. So, I'll ask for a temperature check for..."
20:14 pm
Cont'd: "..going to a discussion about what just happened." OK, so we'll break out and discuss for 10 minutes. #nycga #ows
20:14 pm
Trish: "Where are the twinkles? I don't see them!" Someone says: "The wire is blocking your view!" Hahahah. #nycga #ows
20:15 pm
Someone gets up and says he's the disruptor being discussed, and it was because he felt left out. "I did come out of process, and I.."#nycga
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "...apologize." Then, aggressively defends notion he's #OWS and not #OccupyNewark, acknowledges he was drunk but "ppl have stress."
20:17 pm
So, Stairs will break us out "to discuss what this community needs re: accountability and how we go forward from here." #nycga #ows
20:17 pm
Ted: "With respect to a lot of that," Safer Spaces is working on a grievance council that might be better for dealing with these issues.
20:35 pm
OK, so we're back. "We're going to hear from breakout groups, but with no responses." First: "We appreciate the apology by the gentleman..."
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "...from Newark. We felt it was inappropriate to draw a line between #OWS and Newark. We appreciated his apology for intoxication.."
20:36 pm
Cont'd: "...but it's not acceptible, for safety and the integrity of the process, to be intoxicated." So, next time, they ask for... #nycga
20:36 pm
Cont'd: ...de-escalation to be present. They feel that 2 minutes of stack being open would have resolved the conflict. #nycga #ows
20:37 pm
Finally, they think we should all receive de-escalation training, "because if there was a war, but no one went, that would be best." #nycga
20:37 pm
Next reportback. "This is what our group came up with. 1, if anybody's not following the statement of autonomy, then they're not abiding.."
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "...by #OWS principles, and not acting in best interest of the movement. 2, anything that's distracting our movement is..." #nycga
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "...a cause for concern which must be addressed. 3, the failure to exclude some individuals will cause exclusion of many." #nycga
20:39 pm
Cont'd: "4, #OWS is inclusive of all identities, but not all behaviors. 5, we need a process of exclusion and grievances. Thank you." #nycga
20:39 pm
Next, Lady. "I'm concerned that if we set a precedent for getting rid of someone, we become our own police department, but we have..."#nycga
20:39 pm
Cont'd: "...convicted someone w/o due process, and that's not the way we should operate in a movement that is all-inclusive." #nycga #ows
20:40 pm
Richard: "My name is Richard. Our breakout group had a very productive discussion. We didn't target anyone in specific. We..." #nycga #ows
20:40 pm
Cont'd: "...talked about the need for personal accountability, the need for criminals to be held accountable criminally." #nycga #ows
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "If we met someone on the street, who committed a crime against us, it should be the same in the GA, and everyone has..." #yncga
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "...that personal right to decide. We also had the discussion of spanking disruptors." Everyone guffaws. #nycga #ows
20:42 pm
Next, Nan. "I have a chance to go group to group to hear what the groups have to say, and it was wonderful, Sage. Anyway..." #nycga #ows
20:42 pm
Nan cont'd: "Sage, go masturbate yourself. Anyway, I appreciate what some of you guys have to tell me, and I appreciate your comments."
20:42 pm
Cont'd: "One of the things I did not like was how I was being marginalized and attacked from not having all the facts together." #nycga #ows
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "Those ppl from Newark did not come with me; Razor knew that. I was working hard on my proposal for that GA, and I was trying to..."
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "...find a copier, and next thing I knew I was being attacked and lied about by individuals who didn't have the facts." #nycga #ows
20:44 pm
Cont'd: "But sometimes life isn't unfair, sometimes it is. I was given lemonade, and I made lemonade out of it." Yes. #nycga #ows
20:44 pm
Nan closes with a rousing defense of "people of caucus" and a nice "fuck you" to her detractors. #nycga #ows
20:45 pm
Next, Ashley! "W/ the group's permission, instead of standing over there, I'd like to stand behind these bars over here, because I don't.."
20:45 pm
Cont'd: "..feel safe physically from an individual over there." Asks us to temp check. Of course we're cool with it... #nycga #ows
20:45 pm
Ashley: "I personally am upset w/ ppl appropriating important issues, like marginalized communities, and using them as an excuse to bully.."
20:46 pm
Cont'd: "...ppl, and marginalize ppl." Feels this movement is our last chance to avoid global tyranny by the 1%. #nycga #ows
20:46 pm
Cont'd: "If a man physically assaulted ppl, he'd be out a week ago, right? So why should a woman be able to? It's a double standard." #nycga
20:47 pm
Many people giving Ashley support for that. "There was a point when I believed this person's intentions, and when I realized that this..."
20:47 pm
Cont'd: "...person wasn't working for marginalized people but rather marginalizing them, and made me care and betrayed..." #nycga #ows
20:47 pm
Cont'd: "If they really care about issues of sexism, why did they block WoW's proposal? If they really cared about marginalization, why..."
20:47 pm
Cont'd: "...did they block the proposal for solidarity with Zapatistas in Mexico?" #nycga #ows
20:48 pm
Ashley shouts out to the double standard of Nan's behavior being accepted, and also shouts to her going to "corporate media..." big cheers!
20:49 pm
Ashley gets a huge round of applause. #nycga #ows
20:49 pm
Stairs: "I completely acknowledge the weight of this conversation, and understand the proposal posted was about a certain individual."#nycga
20:49 pm
Cont'd: "That is not the proposal any longer, and it was not the goal of the breakout groups. We acknowledge that there's a lot..." #nycga
20:50 pm
Cont'd: "...of feelings all over about this situation. But out of respect to the GA, please do not make this about targeting one person."
20:50 pm
Razor: "This is a historical moment in #OWS. We are talking about banning individuals. This movement has to be above that; we have to look..
20:50 pm
Cont'd: "..at who's being spoken about versus those who have committed violence all along." Notes that he feels violence has been present...
20:56 pm
Cont'd: ...& that it's suspect that the first ppl we're trying to ban are ppl of color. Razor also says we need to examine process. #nycga
20:56 pm
Razor: "I'm also very concerned that when this comes up," it tends to target individuals, rather than accountability. #nycga #ows
20:56 pm
Razor: "I think Teddy did something amazing. He started in one space, and spend days talking to others, and came from something w/ a.."
20:57 pm
Cont'd: "...higher ethical standard. That's what this movement is about and we need more of that." #nycga #ows
20:57 pm
Razor also speaks to Newark and tells them "you're being baited" and not to react. #nycga #ows
20:57 pm
Lopi's next: "Our group spoke about a few things; we didn't have a concrete solution, but we felt it was smart that Ted had tabled.."
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "..the proposal so we could talk about larger issues instead of one person's behavior." Also discussed other forms of violence...
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "When some ppl don't have the same language as dominant language, they react angrily & then that causes other kinds of violence."
20:58 pm
They also spoke about how we need a grievance process and better communication structures. Feels "one of the most pertinent problems.."
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "..facing us internally is also facing us externally, and that is, as a movement, as we committed to nonviolence?" #nycga #ows
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "We felt that we need to come up with a statement dealing with our principles of nonviolence for internal and external purposes."
20:59 pm
Sage notes many people have already spoken his ideas - many who are more traditionally heard, and less confrontational, than he is. #nycga
20:59 pm
Sage cont'd: "But I still think there needs to be some aspect of confrontation;" otherwise how do we change ourselves? #nycga #ows
21:01 pm
Sage had several other ideas but because I had to switch feeds, I missed some of them. Sorry @Graizur, help me out? #nycga #ows
21:01 pm
Next, someone points out "this movement is about accountability and the lack of accountability w/in our superstructure." #nycga #ows
21:02 pm
Cont'd: "We want to come up with new ways of doing things, so why, when old problems come up, are we looking to old solutions?" #nycga #ows
21:03 pm
Cont'd: "Banning someone, imprisoning someone, is old." "The ppl in this movement must be empowered, and not destroyed." #nycga #ows
21:04 pm
Anthony: "We shouldnt use sex, gender, color, any of that bullshit, to call marginalization! We're human; all bleed red! Except reptilians."
21:04 pm
Anthony feels that people who are disruptive, like who "block everything" should be held accountable. He's had one block, an ethical block.
21:05 pm
Anthony: "We should all realize when blocking without a real reason, you're hurting everyone!" Ppl's mic is very loud right now. #nycga #ows
21:05 pm
Anthony: "Every time we go into modified consensus w/o a real reason, we're hurting the movement! We all need to be accountable to..."#nycga
21:05 pm
Cont'd: "...ourselves & all of our sisters and brothers in this beautiful movement. And fuck Monsanto!" ("And Fuck Monsanto!" the ppl yell!)
21:06 pm
OK, that's it for the reportbacks. Time to move forward on the agenda. "So, now, Vision and Goals is gonna talk to you all!" #nycga #ows
21:07 pm
Sumumba and Michael from Vision and Goals: "We're attempting to come to consensus on a Vision statement! I want to say, this is not the.."
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "..goals; we still have the goals to get to." Notes he's on Outreach and Movement Building too, and wants to make sure the...
21:07 pm
Cont'd: ...Vision statement "gets us in the house, so we can feed them and" talk to them. Wants to not have alienating language. #nycga #ows
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "That said, we are not reformists!" Yoni notes that many felt, last time, that the document wasn't radical enough. #nycga #ows
21:08 pm
Yoni: "I feel the content is there, but perhaps we can radicalize the language." So the discussion is about how we make it more radical...
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "...more about what #OWS is about." But notes that since this is an autonomous movement, it shouldn't be about personal politics.
21:09 pm
Sumumba also notes: nonviolence is part of the longer vision, even though the definition of "violence" is at question in a tactical sense.
21:10 pm
Sumumba: "And once again, we are NOT reformists!" Hahah. Michael tells us he emailed all working groups to ask for feedback recently. #nycga
21:11 pm
V&G also notes they meet Tuesday and Thursday at 5:30 at 60 Wall. "Your feedback is very important, and remember we still need to do Goals."
21:11 pm
Cont'd: "Even President Obama is talking about co-opting the 99% with the tax thing! Let's not let him co-opt us, let's co-opt him!" #nycga
21:11 pm
OK, so we'll read the document for 5 minutes, and then open a stack for general comments. #nycga #ows
21:20 pm
OK, we're back! Stacking comments. Camille: "The statement is great, but one problem I have, which I quietly have w/ movement is a whole.."
21:20 pm
Cont'd: "...is the impact of animal enterprise." Suggests add something about "liberation of animals, but something more welfarist is OK."
21:20 pm
Notes animals are used for many things like testing and vivisection, and "I wouldn't be an activist if I weren't a vegan." #nycga #ows
21:21 pm
Camille also notes that many vegans are ostracized by this movement b/c of lack of attention paid to this issue. #nycga #ows
21:21 pm
Yoni answers: "As a non-vegan itself, I hear what you're saying," also notes fur trade and mistreatment are real problems. #nycga #ows
21:21 pm
Yoni suggests it could even be given its own section, which Camille is a fan of. #nycga #ows
21:22 pm
Next: "If you hang out w/ good ppl, 9 times out of 10, you'll have good results." Then suggests women should watch their dress? Boos. #nycga
21:24 pm
"GA-Amended 1/24 Draft OWS Vision Statement," page 1. This is what we're discussing. #nycga #ows http://t.co/Nc7zLsOu
21:25 pm
"GA-Amended 1/24 Draft OWS Vision Statement," page 2. That's the last page. #nycga #ows http://t.co/BD63pF0J
21:26 pm
Vision&Goals restate: they want us to help radicalize it w/o making it inaccessible to "ppl from Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn to Billings, Montana."
21:26 pm
OK, time for the next proposal! It's Patrick, bringing a proposal to move the GA indoors for the winter. #nycga #ows
21:27 pm
Here's the next proposal, to bring the GA indoors. Patrick is reading it aloud right now. #nycga #ows http://t.co/gEMtM4Fp
21:29 pm
Patrick: "When we discussed changing the GA, Marsha, who brought the time-change proposal earlier, felt she was being marginalized..."
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "...because she can't stand outside in the cold at night during the Winter." Notes GA at 60 Wall is still "occupying wall street."
21:30 pm
Stairs now opening stack for clarifying questions on the proposal. First CQ: "This proposal seems to be for the benefit of 1 person..."
21:30 pm
Cont'd: "..I know others could benefit from it, but if we move indoors, others may have issues w/ an indoor space. I don't know if the..."
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "...GA should be moved just because one person has an issue." Patrick presses him to imagine a reason there'd be an issue w/ indoor.
21:31 pm
Patrick: "If you think it's OK for everyone here to have to suffer through cold -- and you know I've been through so many, and I have..."
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "...froze almost everything off. And I'm still here! So, I'll be here, but many can't be here, like Marsha." #nycga #ows
21:32 pm
Next CQ: "Just going to say that the original proposal is great, because let's face it, if it was subzero, many of us wouldn't be here."
21:32 pm
That CQer suggests that it be contingent on temperature and weather. #nycga #ows
21:33 pm
Nick: "If we never got raided; we'd still be in camp here. Ppl said the winter would stop us; moving GAs indoors doesn't prove them wrong."
21:33 pm
A: "I don't think we have anything to prove in the strength department. Anybody going anywhere?" No, we say! "OK, so let's be comfortable.."
21:35 pm
Cont'd: "...indoors as we make decisions." Next CQ, Nan. "You know that we have a lot of ppl at 60 wall; can we find a permanent place..."
21:35 pm
Cont'd: "...without police officers and without people circling us?" Patrick: "Nan's concern appears to be that there's a lot of police..."
21:36 pm
Patrick cont'd: "You know, I don't really feel any concern about the cops myself, but maybe it's a concern some folks have. We'll have.."
21:36 pm
Cont'd: "...to live with cops everywhere we go, so we'll have to deal with it." #nycga #ows
21:36 pm
Next CQ: "If the weather's nice enough, are we going to be here? But I saw in the proposal that if weather's nice enough, we'll be here."
21:37 pm
But it leads into a concern: "I don't see the GA as mobile; it shouldn't move around. But the proposal besides that is fair." #nycga #ows
21:37 pm
Patrick will temp check removing that. But, "not everybody can see who's suffering from cold; ppl at GA have to tell us." #nycga #ows
21:37 pm
Cont'd: "If more than 10% there may need to leave, maybe we owe it to that 10% to move the GA, cooperate and continue with all." #nycga #ows
21:38 pm
Stairs is restating Nan's question: "If 60 Wall is not available, is there a backup location?" Patrick says it's covered in proposal. #nycga
21:39 pm
Patrick: "The backup location is right here (Liberty Sq)." Next CQ: "Some WGs meet during GA. What happens if GA brings many to 60 Wall?"
21:39 pm
Cont'd: "The question is, do you think that if we get a lot of ppl, can we function in that space w/o disrupting everything around us?"
21:40 pm
Patrick notes that it has worked before without interrupting other groups. "It's noisy, but it can be done." Also, "60 wall need not be..."
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "..the only place we can go. What's called for is indoor public space." #nycga #ows
21:41 pm
POI: "Maximum # of ppl in 60 Wall is 604, so there's a lot of ppl we could fit in there and many old bastards like myself could attend."
21:42 pm
Robert's CQ: "I haven't attended a GA in 60 Wall; I know they've happened, but w/ smaller groups. We are so gonna get kicked outta 60 Wall."
21:42 pm
Robert is point of processed, because we're still on clarifying questions. Ashley's CQ: "Is this proposal b/c a lot of ppl weren't..."
21:43 pm
Cont'd: "..going to GA because it was cold, which is disempowering to GA?" Feels it should get benefit of being indoors, like Spokes. #nycga
21:44 pm
Ashley cont'd: "We should do this to be fair and democratic." Stairs starts to define CQs, so Ashley rephrases as a CQ. #nycga #ows
21:44 pm
A: "To me, it's just common sense. I'm healthy and young, but if you watch, I'm already trembling. To me, this is cold. If I wear a hat..."
21:45 pm
Cont'd: "...my hearing is muffled. It would be better indoors." Sumumba's POI is that the last few GAs indoors have worked well. #nycga #ows
21:45 pm
Sumumba: "Also, for Sat at least, there's not as many WGs meeting, so it's very pleasant in there. This is inclusive; think of our seniors."
21:46 pm
Anthony's concern: "The knitters say they don't come out at night b/c it's cold! So we shouldn't permanently move it indoors..." #nycga
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "...we should look at weather in advance, and then post it ahead of time." Shouts to Marsha, a knitter, who can't often come to GA!
21:48 pm
Patrick notes it's already in the proposal- if we expect temps above 50 degrees 48 hours in advance, we can move it indoors. #nycga #ows
21:48 pm
Next concern is that he won't leave the park unattended. "If we're in this for comfort, we shouldn't have done this!" #nycga #ows
21:49 pm
Patrick: it's not about his comfort, it's about the comfort of many. "Do we want to prove we're tough, or accept we're tough & include ppl?"
21:50 pm
Next concern notes that there are fewer disruptions when GA is indoors. "Just b/c of that, it would be a valuable experiment." #nycga #ows
21:50 pm
Nick's concern: "I am very concerned that by having the GA indoors, we're going to lose a lot of ppl. I'd like to see some kind of.."
21:51 pm
Cont'd: "...count made first as to whether more people come when it's indoors." Nods to Occupy Alaska, who are outside always. #nycga #ows
21:52 pm
Sumumba: "My concern is for the movement, again, the infirm, the ppl that get sick." Hopes if we're indoors, we look for backup spaces.
21:53 pm
Corey's is "a reverse concern. Won't anyone think of the minutes and the livetweeters and the facilitators who have to be outside?" #nycga
21:54 pm
Patrick acknowledges that. "We all love the minutes and the livetweeters and we want to see if we can help them out too." #nycga #ows
21:54 pm
I said that it's not respectful of consensus to insist that others' lack of willingness to be outside is not tough enough. #nycga #ows
21:54 pm
I also pointed out that our decision-making process suffers greatly when we are meeting and it is too cold. #nycga #ows
21:55 pm
Lopi shouts to what I said, and points out the machismo inherent in trying to prove we're tough. "Also, we rush through proposals when..."
21:55 pm
Cont'd: "...we're freezing our ass off. Everyone wants to just get done; we pass things we have to live w/ that may not be well considered."
21:56 pm
Chris: "I've been here since the beginning; I don't know a lot of you and I'm glad you joined on with us. But the GA needs to go on here."
21:56 pm
Cont'd: "People need to know we're still here, even though it's not about the park. We made a message when we took the park. But right now..
21:56 pm
Cont'd: "...for our voices to be heard, we need to be out here." Apologizes to knitters; he loves them. "I don't know about a lot of you.."
21:57 pm
Cont'd: "..folks, but if we want to make a message, occupy your brain! Not #OWS, occupy your brain! Occupy movement! That's what we are."
21:57 pm
Patrick: "Chris is a great friend to the movement; I know the park is important. But if we could get indoors, maybe we could occupy..."
21:58 pm
Cont'd: "...our minds a bit better, and think about how to take the park back!" Next, someone points out NYU will start teaching #OWS...
21:58 pm
Cont'd: ...courses, "and I believe NYU should provide us a place to meet during the winter. If they're going to make profits from our..."
21:58 pm
Cont'd: "...cause, they should give us a place to meet." Notes that Pace University is in the same situation, could also help. #nycga #ows
21:59 pm
Cont'd: "They should at least hv the courtesy to give us a place to stay, & someone should negotiate with them. Maybe Patrick." #nycga #ows
22:00 pm
Gilbert's concern: "2 things. I think that we should go inside when the weather is inclement, so we can better articulate our points."#nycga
22:00 pm
Cont'd: "Secondly, I don't think that us standing outside makes us braver or weaker. We should do what's best for the whole group." #nycga
22:01 pm
Cont'd: "...in order to not marginalize disabled or older people." Many whoop at that. As they did every time that point's been made. #nycga
22:01 pm
Ashley: "My concern is w/ ppl who feel very emotionally and spiritually attached to this ground. And I think we're all one of them..."
22:02 pm
Cont'd: "...but we need to be sensitive to the infirm, the elderly, the livetweeters can't wear gloves, I think we need to have it inside."
22:02 pm
Cont'd: "Some of my best friends in this movement are in the Granny Peace Brigade." They can't come to things due to environmental concerns.
22:03 pm
Cont'd: "So, although I have compassion for the ppl who are emotionally attached to doing this every day, that's ego. Sometimes you.."#nycga
22:03 pm
Cont'd: "...need to set aside yr own sentimental attachments." Should be sensitive to Chris & others like him, maybe do 1 thing here a day.
22:04 pm
Patrick suggests that's a great point. "We don't want to show disrespect to those who hold the park still. We love you. But this is about.."
22:04 pm
Cont'd: "...all the people who'd like to be, but can't because it's too cold." Someone: "Why don't we all wear space suits?" #nycga #ows
22:05 pm
Nan's concern is next. "Hi guys. My concern is if we keep moving the GA back and forth, ppl might get confused and they might give up on.."
22:05 pm
Cont'd: "...coming back to the GA. So we need to make sure, if we're going to go to 60 Wall or any other places, other ppl must stay here.."
22:06 pm
Cont'd: "..to let them know that we've moved. Because we had issues like that before." #nycga #ows
22:06 pm
That's it for stack! OK, now opening stack for friendly amendments, coming to the homestretch on this (famous last words.) #nycga #ows
22:07 pm
Richard's FA: "I'm in the group that can't make GAs b/c of health issues; also, I have to travel from Staten Island, so if it's going..."
22:07 pm
Cont'd: "...to be snowy and won't be many here anywhere, I just stay away." FA is that we move indoors one day a week on a weekend, so...
22:07 pm
Cont'd: ...that "people in the outer boroughs, and older people," can come, and an experiment. Temp checking Saturday-only FA. #nycga
22:10 pm
Robert's amendment is that the language in the proposal of throwing up a PoP to move the meeting indoors can only happen at start of GA.
22:12 pm
Clarifying amendment: applies on days when we have GA outdoors expecting it to be nice, but isn't. Limit to *1* tempcheck on moving inside.
22:13 pm
Next FA is to have a 3-wk trial period of trying it. If it doesn't work for us and the ppl at 60 Wall, then vote on moving it back outdoors.
22:14 pm
The temp check on that was really mixed; Patrick wasn't quite sure what to do but decided to decline that friendly amendment. #nycga #ows
22:15 pm
Next FA is that we include Occupy Money Group and other folks in the discussion so we can be open to alternative spaces. #nycga #ows
22:16 pm
Patrick notes this is about "indoor public spaces," so he's not sure, that seems like a separate conversation. Some back and forth... #nycga
22:16 pm
Sumumba just wants to make sure "we're not dependent on 60 wall; if we are excluded," we have some other place to go. #nycga #ows
22:16 pm
Patrick reads the language in the proposal about "other public spaces," and Sumumba is satisfied, steps back. #nycga #ows
22:17 pm
Ashley's POI is that many who opposed moving indoors have walked away and aren't listening to this process, restates her concerns about...
22:18 pm
Cont'd: ..keeping it outside being "ageist, sexist, and ableist." Stairs nudges her to make FA. "To appease the individuals.." #nycga #ows
22:18 pm
Cont'd: "...those individuals who are attached sentimentally and might block, to have one do-or-die event outside each Sunday." #nycga #ows
22:19 pm
People like that amendment, according to Stairs' reading of the temperature check, so it's accepted. #nycga #ows
22:19 pm
Martin's FA: "I wish it was more strongly worded, b/c it seems exceptions may be made, but wishes it was strongly encouraged..."
22:20 pm
Cont'd: "...to hold the meetings outside if it's above 50 degrees outside," due to symbolic value. Patrick suggests changing... #nycga #ows
22:21 pm
Cont'd: ...the language from "exceptions may be made" to "shall be made" when the temperature is above 50 degrees. FA accepted. #nycga #ows
22:21 pm
Nan's FA: "I'd mentioned my concern earlier, and was told to make it an FA, to let people know somehow that we've moved." #nycga #ows
22:22 pm
So, Nan's FA is that someone "must be here" in Liberty Square to make sure ppl know where the GA has moved. Folks ask if she'll volunteer...
22:23 pm
Patrick narrows it to only times when we schedule it outdoors, and then consent to move it back indoors due to it being cold. Temp check?
22:23 pm
Patrick: "It's close, but not quite." Mixed response. So, he declines Nan's friendly amendment, tempting the dragon.... #nycga #ows
22:24 pm
Patrick notes that as long as we make 60 Wall our default location, and we're not in the park, ppl will know where to look for GA. #nycga
22:24 pm
OK! So now, Stairs will tempcheck how we feel about moving the proposal forward! "That looks very good!" Patrick re-reads the proposal.
22:25 pm
Changes from what I posted earlier are that we *shall* (not may) have it outside if we expect temps to be above 50 w/ good weather... #nycga
22:26 pm
Cont'd: ...& that if the meeting starts outdoors, only 1 proposal can be made to move indoors. Last FA: that we have a Sun event outdoors.
22:27 pm
Stairs calls for standasides. One: "I'm out here all the time; it's not my ego." Was offended by that. & is upset by "comfort". #nycga #ows
22:28 pm
Stairs now tests for blocks.. Nick blocks. "It's morally wrong to hold this indoors. Many people have problems with heat in summertime.."
22:28 pm
Cont'd: "...also, there are occupations not having this conversation." Nick decides to standaside tho, having said his piece. #nycga #ows
22:29 pm
One last test for blocks: "Going once...going twice... no blocks... that means we have consensus!" Cheers! #nycga #ows
22:29 pm
Stairs: "That was the last proposal; we're now going to open stack for announcements." #nycga #ows
22:30 pm
First announcement: "Hi, my name is Faith, I'm a day 1 occupier and I work w/ #OWS radio show. And I want to draw attention to.." #nycga
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "...the fact that one of our comrades is in Riker's this afternoon b/c he did not receive the kind of support he should have..."
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "...received from #OWS." It's Elias Roberts, "who is such a strong voice, and he's been left in the lurch." #nycga #ows
22:32 pm
Cont'd: "He'll be going to the supreme court friday. I'm asking that there be an arsenal of NLG lawyers there, familiar w/ the case."#nycga
22:32 pm
Cont'd: "We can't walk on by each other. If any of you can in any way get the word out; I wanted to let you know our comrade nds our help."
22:33 pm
Next, Camille, who mic checks to make sure folks come over to hear, "especially if you participate in direct action." #nycga #ows
22:33 pm
Camille: "For the past 3 days, the NLG has not been equipped to rep people at arraignments. We need to understand that the NLG was around.."
22:34 pm
Cont'd: "..before #OWS; it's not an #OWS work group. They have jobs, do it on volunteer basis, and had full caseload before #OWS."
22:34 pm
Cont'd: "They're now in a situation where they cannot come at the drop of a hat; only in mass arrest situations." #nycga #ows
22:34 pm
Camille says she's looking into what NLG needs to get more ppl to come out. But "if you're doing autonomous actions, please think twice.."
22:35 pm
Cont'd: "..about what you're doing, because we can't guarantee we'll get the support we all deserve. We're taking on an enormous..."
22:35 pm
Cont'd: "...corrupt system." NLG knows we deserve better than public defenders, "but we are not equipped, so we need to re-think our..."
22:35 pm
Cont'd: "..direction, our tactics, and the way we conduct ourselves. I'm not saying don't participate in DA; I'm saying think about what.."
22:36 pm
Cont'd: "...you're doing. Because the person who throws something isn't the one who gets hurt, it's whoever's standing closest." #nycga #ows
22:37 pm
Camille also shouts out that we can show solidarity to Elias by putting money in his account so that he can buy good food while in Riker's.
22:37 pm
"We'll keep everyone apprised, as this is the only person who has been put in Riker's directly from an #OWS event." #nycga #ows
22:38 pm
[To clarify: the Williamsburg "OccuParty" was *not* an #OWS event. The distinction is lost on some. -Ed.] #nycga #ows
22:38 pm
Next: "I appreciate y'all showing solidarity and letting me get up to talk, but I came from @Occupy_DC; we're having a serious problem.."
22:38 pm
Cont'd: "...and what we really need is numbers. If we can get ppl to come down... we're trying to get the SEIU to help us bus ppl down..."
22:39 pm
Cont'd: "...and there's some lady with a van or something. We need numbers; we can't let Washington DC fall. It's one of the final..."#nycga
22:39 pm
Cont'd: "..physical occupies." They have put out statements that if they catch ppl sleeping in tents, they'll mace and taze and drag em out.
22:40 pm
Cont'd: "As soon as we can get ppl down there, the better." Ted's POI: "Feb 2nd is the date that many of the police actions are set for."
22:40 pm
Ted cont'd: "We need to get there right now, and we need to be there for awhile until this shit blows over." #nycga #ows
22:41 pm
#ODC guy notes that the kitchen in Freedom Plaza was given a 98/100 after an inspection - then they came back and gave 100/100!! #nycga #ows
22:41 pm
Big cheers for that. "We have two chefs that cook there -- they occupy! And they're chefs! Everyone's welcome; we'd love to have you."#nycga
22:43 pm
Next, Al. "Like the gentleman just speaking, I was down there with him; he's a great guy." Shouts out the dude who gave him ticket to go...
22:44 pm
Al, whom we all love very much, is soapboxing, and no one is surprised. Tells us about his trip. Any announcement content same as last guy.
22:48 pm
Next, Sean! "Hi! You may have heard magic word 'grievance council' today for 1st time!" Meet Friday, 6:30, at 110 Schermerhorn in Brooklyn.
22:48 pm
Sumumba makes an outreach announcement: "We're trying to reach communities we're trying to "liberate"!" Canvassing in East NY. #nycga #ows
22:49 pm
Next is Ted w/ "a couple little announcements. #1, Occupy Tour is going to be kicking off in Newark! Anyone who wants to help build.."#nycga
22:49 pm
Cont'd: "..a stage, where we'll have a ton of artists making awesome music, come talk to me afterwards!" #nycga #ows
22:50 pm
Cont'd: "Occupy Newark is in an old historic military base! They have no issues with cops; some internal issues like us, but it's..."#nycga
22:50 pm
Cont'd: "...it's an amazing place to launch stuff." Shouts to close proximity of Newark and Yonkers, trying to work together more! #nycga
22:50 pm
Ted also notes that Newark's occupation is in the shape of a sword pointing right here. "it's really awesome!" #nycga #ows
22:51 pm
Ted also notes his background in climate science and that a "bee landed on my face earlier" today, which is fucked. "Anyone who wants to.."
22:52 pm
Cont'd: "...come to Times Sq. at 3pm tomorrow in a t-shirt and shorts, when temp should be 59 degrees, we'll ask "where the fuck is winter?"
22:52 pm
Nan's announcement. "Most of you know I have a proposal to dissolve the Spokescouncil, but I didn't come back to do it. I'm announcing..."
22:53 pm
Cont'd: "...here to ask facilitation to please put my proposal back online for the next GA, to dissolve the Spokescouncil. Thank you."#nycga
22:53 pm
Ashley is last on stack! "I was supposed to propose at yesterday's Spokescouncil to make sure there's a democratic process at..."#nycga
22:53 pm
Cont'd: "...Spokescouncil, b/c a lot of proposals have been slipping in w/o proper time for discussion." It's to establish 48-hour notice..
22:54 pm
Cont'd: ..period for proposals in Spokescouncil, and that working groups are notified. But she couldn't come b/c she was arrested Sunday.
22:56 pm
That's it for GA! "We'll see you all Thursday -- same time, different place!" See you at 60 Wall on Thurs family! #nycga #ows #occupy
22:57 pm
[As ever, any questions, comments, concerns, please hit me up over at @diceytroop! And shouts to the great folks who helped handle this...]
22:58 pm
[...family of livetweet accounts while I was helping build the movement on the @OWSbus! That's @PoweredByCats, @Carriem213, & @Nash12. -Ed.]