00:01 am
Hey fam! We're back! Not to fear; we haven't yet been #SOPAed. "Live"tweets of tonight's #Spokescouncil meeting go up tmrw. #nycsc #OWS
00:04 am
RT @OccupyWallStNYC: We are back. Here's why we went DARK: http://t.co/MouXyo6N #BlackoutSOPA #NoSOPA #KillPIPA
00:10 am
http://t.co/OM5HAD2O MT @justinstoned: @libertysqga Kinda weird to make your Service/ Work to #nycsc into a protest. #sopa
00:20 am
RT @OccupyWallStNYC: Even @LibertySqGA went dark for #SOPABlackout, and saved hundreds of livetweets! Thanks for not crossing the picket ...
00:24 am
@justinstoned not at all, just explaining the simple reasoning. Thank you for your comment.
00:32 am
@justinstoned we're volunteers; our team consensed. We didn't stop others from LTing, warned folks we'd be dark. Sorry to offend.
02:03 am
Just counted and sorted 582 tweets from tonight's #NYCSC! Never counted before. We'll spend a couple hours tomorrow sending them out. #OWS
11:02 am
OK fam! Today, we're "airing" Wednesday nite's #NYCSC! We're livetweeting on a delay! It's the opposite of that live episode of ER... #OWS
11:05 am
Jason Ahmadi and Nicole will facilitate tonight. "Does anyone have any issues with that?" Someone: website said 7:30; it's 7:09. #NYCSC #OWS
11:05 am
Nicole: "OK, so we're not starting, then!" Jason: "We'll start at 7:30 promptly." Til then, "we're just gonna hang out," Nicole says. #nycsc
11:05 am
Jason & Nan discuss the proposal expected tonight to ask Nan to leave the #NYCSC. Nan: "All Spokescouncil does is bitch about ppl." #OWS
11:05 am
Nan sits down. "I've got a team on the way, so I'm just going to enjoy the show." Nan guffaws. "I love being Nan sometimes." #OWS #NYCSC
11:05 am
"I can't wait for #SpokesCouncil to be dissolved," Nan says to someone. "Because you're all a bunch of hypocrites." #NYCSC #OWS
11:10 am
"I just love beating up on Facilitation. I love being mean. I just love being the center of attention," Nan continues. #NYCSC #OWS
11:10 am
"I'm going to be doing some yelling, too. We'll see. We'll see if I have to be my typical Nan…" [Sorry, but she's sitting right next to me.]
11:10 am
OK, it's 7:30! Here we go. Facilitators checking to make sure all WGs' Spokes signed in to comply w/ once-a-week rule for that role. #nycsc
11:10 am
Jason: "So, as agreed before, Nicole & I will facilitate today. Calvin'll be our stacktaker & Steve.." Nicole: "Is going to be timekeeper."
11:10 am
Jason: "I request that people heed our timekeeper & that only spokes speak. Are people willing to do that?" Yes! "& no side convos." #NYCSC
11:15 am
Jason: "I'd like to bring back a facilitation tool: raise your fist in silence." Lets us "bring the room back," when we all do it. #nycsc
11:15 am
Jason: "So, there were 5 agenda topics brought fwd to the facilitation team. 1's a continuation of facilitation's proposal to…" #NYCSC #OWS
11:15 am
Cont'd: "…limit the number of Spokescouncils. Another is a discussion about how the spending freeze affects #NYCSC..." #OWS
11:16 am
Cont'd: "…another is to bring back discussion of Archive's perpetually-tabled $ proposal. Another's to resume the Safer Spaces prop." #NYCSC
11:16 am
Cont'd: "…& another is from Outreach dealing with, um… disruptive behavior & the process of removing people from Spokescouncil." #NYCSC #OWS
11:20 am
Stairs note that b/c Archives and the discussion on the spending freeze are very similar, they're hoping to table for another #NYCSC. #OWS
11:20 am
(Stairs is our shorthand for the facilitation team as a whole, though generally tonight we'll probably refer to Nicole and Jason by name.)
11:20 am
CQ: "RE: zero tolerance for side conversations - what's the accountability?" Jason: "I'll use my de-escalation techniques.." #OWS #NYCSC
11:20 am
Cont'd: "…to make that stop." Nicole: Use the raised fist signal "so we can all remind each other to not hv side conversations." #nycsc #ows
11:21 am
Jason: "Also, you might find me just stopping talking, and pausing. Or walking to the person who's talking & just stand there." #nycsc #ows
11:25 am
Jason: "The way we'd discussed working this agenda out:" 30min of reportbacks, 30 minutes of Facilitation's proposal, 1 hour of… #nycsc #ows
11:25 am
Cont'd: "…the safer spaces and community agreements, and an hour of Outreach discussion of disruptive behavior." #nycsc #ows
11:25 am
Jason: "If we take longer, and we aren't able to come to consensus within these timeframes, they will be tabled." Any questions? #nycsc #ows
11:25 am
Ravi suggests the Outreach proposal should go "1st rather than last. It has bearing on our ability to talk about anything else." #nycsc #ows
11:26 am
Jason: "So the proposal is to move the hr on disruptive behavior to the beginning, with caveat that if…" #NYCSC #OWS
11:26 am
Cont'd: "…we can't finish within an hour, we'll table it." A disruption is happening outside, someone yells "de-escalation!" #nycsc #ows
11:27 am
Several people run for the other room to de-escalate. Someone is very angry outside, I have no idea why. #nycsc #ows
11:28 am
Jason suggests that "I'd like to add some levity to the situation." He asks that everyone stand… conflict outside very distracting. #nycsc
11:29 am
(Note that as we tweet, Twitter's rate limits will kick in & we'll have to move to @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4.) #NYCSC
11:31 am
Now airing: last nite's #Spokescouncil, delayed by #SOPAstrike. MT @mikecane: Is GA happening live now or are these tweets from last night?
11:32 am
Jason: "I'd like to own that as facilitator, this is very hard for me as well." Notes our attn "is directed in the other room." #nycsc #ows
11:33 am
There's some discussion of pausing the meeting during disruption; ppl really want to keep going tho. We'll start w/ reportbacks. #nycsc #ows
11:33 am
First, @PolicyStats notes "I'm working on a portrait series of occupiers who've been arrested." He'll pass around contact info. #nycsc
11:34 am
"I'd also like to take pictures of this mtg - that's a different thing." As we often do, we ask invididuals to indicate discomfort w/ film.
11:35 am
CQ: "What's the other project?" A: "The portrait series is for a possible exhibit. The general #Occupy photos are something I've…" #nycsc
11:36 am
Cont'd: "…been doing for months, & I generally just put them online. I'll do my best to avoid people who" indicated discomfort. #nycsc #ows
11:37 am
First report back: Kitchen. "Um…" He pauses, the commotion is distracting. "Anyhow, I'm giving my reportback.. Just to give..." #nycsc #ows
11:37 am
Cont'd: "…people kind of an update on where Kitchen is: we're trying to be more mobile, b/c as a movement that's what we've become." #NYCSC
11:38 am
Cont'd: "But we're also looking into spaces. And different vehicles we can look at-- a truck, a vending vehicle…" #nycsc #ows
11:39 am
Cont'd: "…and also an actual space. And the reason it's taken so long is we need to get a non-profit to help us get that space." #nycsc #ows
11:40 am
Cont'd: "But we also wanted to make an announcement to see if anyone would be interested in starting a breakout group." #nycsc #ows
11:40 am
"Maybe this summer, to have a permit for a free concert in Central Pk, & to get #OWS organizers together & musicians who want to support."
11:41 am
If you want to get involved in any of that or in kitchen, get at occupiedkitchen@gmail.com ! #nycsc #ows
11:42 am
(The room is very, very tense; we couldn't all see what was going on outside but there was a prolonged physical altercation.) #nycsc #ows
11:43 am
Nicole says she wants to take "a second, a beat," to "acknowledge something that happened. Let's take a collective breath, and then…" #nycsc
11:43 am
Cont'd: "..move on. Unexpected, but these things happen." Next Reportback: Picture the Homeless. #nycsc #ows
11:44 am
Picture the Homeless: "I want to make it clear that we are in the house, and we want to let you know when we're in the house." #nycsc #ows
11:44 am
Cont'd: "And we want people to understand that Picture the Homeless has been here from the beginning, through Bloombergville…" #nycsc #ows
11:45 am
Cont'd: "…and Occupy Wall Street." He says our problems stem from not dealing w/ reality. "We know all about the certain variety of…" #nycsc
11:46 am
Cont'd: "…people in your domiciles that you call homeless." We'll need PtH, he says, to help try to "keep ppl from taking advantage of.."
11:47 am
Cont'd: "…the movement." Safer Spaces working group is next: "We've been working on the community agreement." #nycsc #ows
11:47 am
Cont'd: "We had a really productive discussion Sun for about 3 hours, so the latest revision, we're going to present tonight." #nycsc #ows
11:48 am
Jason: "And if future report backers could come to the middle, that would help us all here in this somewhat tenuous situation." #nycsc #ows
11:49 am
Next, Vision & Goals, Sumumba. "I'd like to thank everyone who was at the GA last night; we got a preliminary consensed-upon…" #nycsc #OWS
11:49 am
Cont'd: "…vision stment, of the vision of #OWS. We're no longer taking new feedback, but if you're interested in looking at our..." #nycsc
11:49 am
Cont'd: "…document," he has copies. "We had a unanimous twinkling; it was a good night, and we'd humbly just thank you because the…" #nycsc
11:50 am
Cont'd: "…world is waiting to see what #OWS stands for." Notes after vision, "we still have the goals" to develop. #nycsc #ows
11:51 am
Alejandro asks if Vision and Goals will be doing breakouts at GA tmrw. A: "No, we'll be back Tuesday for the final consensing." #nycsc #ows
11:52 am
That's it for reportbacks! Moving onto the agenda. Jason: "Thank you! So, we had a proposal, or an amendment to the agenda that.." #nycsc
11:53 am
Cont'd: "…was brought, to move the disruptive behavior proposal from the end to the beginning. We wanted it at the end…" #nycsc
11:53 am
Cont'd: "…because it's a contentious topic we've never dealt with in our movement. Wanted to get through other topics first." #nycsc
11:53 am
But we'll take a temperature check to see, "do folks want to move the question of disruptive behavior to the beginning?" #nycsc #ows
11:55 am
Spokes will check in with their working groups, and raise their spoke sign if they consent to move Outreach to top of agenda. #nycsc #ows
11:55 am
ARA has a CQ: "We don't know anything about Outreach proposal; we do know about Safer Spaces'. Why does it have to be…" #nycsc #ows
11:55 am
Cont'd: "…before Safer Spaces' proposal, which will address "disruptors" as well?" Jason asks folks to quiet side conversations. #nycsc #ows
11:56 am
Jason: "As a facilitator, I feel empowered to note that I saw many up twinkles and many down twinkles, so I think we should move ahead…"
11:57 am
Cont'd: "…with the agenda as planned." So, we'll move to the facilitation proposal to cut back on meetings, first, as planned. #nycsc #ows
11:57 am
Brian notes that Facilitation originally would propose both GA and Spokes would meet 1 fewer day, but instead split it into two. #nycsc #ows
11:59 am
Brian: "The proposal's extremely simple; it reduces #Spokescouncil to 2 meetings/week, Monday and Wednesday instead of MWF." #nycsc #ows
11:59 am
Brian: "It also acknowledges that going forward SC can either increase or decrease its meeting schedule as it sees fit." #nycsc #ows
11:59 am
Nicole: "OK, so we're going to check back in with our groups, discuss this proposal, and see if we have any clarifying questions on this."
12:00 pm
Brian restates. "Without getting into the specifics of why Facilitation wanted to bring the proposal, it's very simple…" #nycsc #ows
12:01 pm
Cont'd: "..it proposes to reduce the number of Spokescouncil meetings from 3 to 2 a week." Mon+Weds instead of Mon+Weds+Fri. #nycsc #ows
12:01 pm
Brian: "There's a lot of weight on us meeting every night." OK, WGs now breaking out to discuss before stacks open. #nycsc
12:02 pm
Jason: "OK, we're back." RE: the disruption, "We're going to take some time to deal with this situation" after this current proposal. #nycsc
12:03 pm
Stairs opens stack on clarifying questions. "So, if you'd like to get on stack about clarifying questions on this proposal, we'd…" #nycsc
12:03 pm
Cont'd: "…love you to do so at this time." Ravi and Jeff are loudly pressing Jason to deal with the earlier situation first. #nycsc #ows
12:04 pm
Jeff: "I think the issue is we cannot move forward unless this is a safe space." Ravi notes "someone took a swing at facilitation Friday.."
12:05 pm
Cont'd: "..and several ppl were attacked just now." Jason: "We're all very uncomfortable with the situation. We will deal with this…" #nycsc
12:06 pm
Cont'd: "…situation -- I promise you that. But we'll get through this, and then deal with it." Ravi alleges the attacker stays at church.
12:06 pm
Someone notes "he said he was going to murder me." Nan: "Stop lying, he didn't say that." "How dare you call me a liar?" #nycsc #ows
12:07 pm
Jason: "Because of the opposition, I want to take the entire group's temp check on my facilitator's opinion of finishing this.." #nycsc
12:07 pm
Cont'd: "…proposal, and then dealing with the situation, or the alternative is to table this proposal, deal w/ it now." #nycsc #ows
12:08 pm
Jason: "Are people comfortable w/ me continuing with this?" Notes he's seeing a very mixed response. Ravi is speaking over him. #nycsc #ows
12:08 pm
Ravi: "I can't be here if we don't deal w/ it. I'm leaving and never coming back. I'm a survivor of abuse." "I can't live like this." #nycsc
12:09 pm
Someone steps up, interjects o-o-p: "As someone who's here for the very first time, can I say something?" Everyone is like "No." #nycsc #ows
12:10 pm
He does, tho: "Call police, & have the fucker arrested." "We tried that," someone notes. Ravi is taking autonomous action to… #nycsc #ows
12:11 pm
Cont'd: …guard the door. Stairs try to open stack for clarifying question, but accept a point of process from Outreach. #nycsc #ows
12:11 pm
Outreach: "I feel very unsafe in this space currently. What are you going to do for me?" #nycsc #ows
12:12 pm
Jason: "I also feel unsafe." But thinks we should slow down, take care of this and then after calm, talk about the proposal. #nycsc #ows
12:12 pm
Jason: "This is me as a facilitator taking this decision, and we're going to do it. OK?" Now moving to clarifying questions. #nycsc #ows
12:13 pm
First CQ: Direct Action. "Will we have impromptu assemblies?" A: "Sounds like you mean how SC and GA can decide meeting schedule…" #nycsc
12:13 pm
Cont'd: "…it just means that if they want to have their meetings on certain days or number of days, they can decide that." #nycsc #ows
12:13 pm
PoP: "When facilitation took that temperature check, it was only on one side. If you have two options, it should be a straw poll." #nycsc
12:14 pm
PoP cont'd: "Also, it was unclear." Nicole: "Can we take a temperature check on that being unclear?" Yeah, ppl agree. #nycsc #ows
12:15 pm
Nicole says we'll take a straw poll. Lopi raises concern: "We don't all have information on what happened. We'd like to know." #nycsc #ows
12:15 pm
Nicole: "Can we take 15 seconds right now for everyone to calm down? We have a lot of passionate feelings." #nycsc #ows
12:16 pm
Brooke witnessed the entire thing. "What I saw happen… one of the men who was an occupier went in to get a Metrocard, and was surprised.."
12:17 pm
Cont'd: "…to find that there weren't any more left for occupiers, and was upset to find that he was too late to get a metro card." #nycsc
12:17 pm
Cont'd: "He got upset at that, and he snatched a card, and there was some verbal back and forth, and there was some physical…"
12:18 pm
Cont'd: "…back and forth, and there wasn't particularly good de-escalation, to be honest w/ you. And the scuffle went into [another] room…"
12:19 pm
Cont'd: "…more people got involved and tried to de-escalate, but there was a lot of emotion." He first knocked the food table over… #nycsc
12:20 pm
Cont'd: "…then the computer table, and then Nan and others helped de-escalate him out the door. The police were called, and…" #nycsc #ows
12:20 pm
Cont'd: "…they were making threats, & there was concern abt whether they have a weapon & that they're sleeping in the same shelter…" #nycsc
12:21 pm
Cont'd: "..people had mixed feelings about that, and they came in and asked if they were going to press charges, but no one wanted…"
12:22 pm
Cont'd: "…to, and then there were questions about whether to press charges around the metrocard, but they weren't [pressed]." #nycsc #ows
12:22 pm
Cont'd: "I think an individual volunteered the $ to cover the Metrocard, & that's what happened. Now there are concerns the individual.."
12:24 pm
Cont'd: "…that the person was threatened by is sleeping in same shelter. And so there's concern about whether to bring that here, b/c…"
12:24 pm
Cont'd: "…it's unclear as to whether the people at the shelter can take unilateral action to ask them not to stay there, b/c…" #nycsc
12:25 pm
Cont'd: "…the other individual feels unsafe abt staying in the shelter where the other individual may or may not have a weapon." #nycsc #ows
12:25 pm
CQ: "If there's a rumor that they have a weapon, I'd like to know who it is." A: "It's Will." "The occupier." His friend claimed he had one.
12:26 pm
Nicole: "OK. Everybody's on the same knowledge level as to what happened. So the question was to take action now, to empower…" #nycsc #ows
12:26 pm
Cont'd: "…a unilateral decision to prevent individual from going to housing, or whether to continue what we're working on" 1st. #nycsc #ows
12:27 pm
Nicole asks for hands if we want to talk about this right now. "OK. I see. I see that. So, just for transparency's sake, raise your hand…"
12:27 pm
Cont'd: "…if you'd like to continue this proposal first." Many hands for dealing with it, only 3 for continuing the facilitation proposal.
12:27 pm
OK. Nicole: "We're going to table this facilitation proposal until after we finish this matter, & right now we're going to discuss…" #nycsc
12:28 pm
Cont'd: "…if this individual should be prevented from going to housing. So anyone who wants to present that, now's the time." #nycsc #ows
12:29 pm
Jeff (Housing) will bring the proposal. "Good evening. the first thing I'd like to say is, I don't like to stand in front of this.." #nycsc
12:29 pm
Cont'd: "…group to talk about things of this nature, but we need to deal with real problems, as well as process problems." #nycsc #ows
12:29 pm
Jeff notes he's too biased to give his own account of events, endorses Brooke's account. "I'm concerned that we have an individual who…"
12:30 pm
Cont'd: "…not just threatened violence, but has also attacked individuals. I know no other place to go but group consensus." #nycsc
12:30 pm
Cont'd: "We're a mvmnt built for inclusion of all peoples, but I will stand here and tell you we're not inclusive for all behaviors…" #nycsc
12:30 pm
Cont'd: "…and the behavior expressed by this individual is against our principles of solidarity, whether they're against yr morals or not."
12:32 pm
Cont'd: "We don't attack individuals physically. IMO, we should do it verbally." [Or, in case of awful comedic timing, w/ tomatoes. -Ed.]
12:32 pm
Jeff asks that "we ask this person to leave our movement and deny him resources he can control," financial and physical. #nycsc #ows
12:33 pm
Jeff: "And that is my proposal." Jason opens stack for clarifying questions. "We'll give you 3 minutes to discuss CQs and concerns on this."
12:34 pm
Bringing it back! "If you can hear me, clap once." Clap. "If you can hear me, clap twice." Clap, clap. #nycsc #OWS
12:34 pm
Jason: "I'm hearing a request for more time." Asks spokes to raise their cards if they wnt more time. "OK, more time, then we'll come back."
12:34 pm
OK, we're back with a point of information. "Last #SC we went through process as a whole group, rather than spokes, and this…" #nycsc
12:34 pm
Cont'd: "…seems like a similar proposal that affects the whole community." Last time it was abt dealing w/ issues at West Park Presbyterian.
12:35 pm
Nicole: "This Spokes, like the GA, is a direct democracy. Just because every voice isn't heard doesn't mean every idea isn't expressed."
12:35 pm
Cont'd: "I don't think this would work better w/ individuals rather than Spokes. So as a facilitator I'd ask that we continue w/ process."
12:36 pm
Cont'd: "I don't know what happened last time, but I'm asking we continue as Spokes tonight." Someone notes that last time.. #nycsc #ows
12:36 pm
Cont'd: ..the change was a personal decision by Sully acting as a facilitator [because issue affected folks who weren't spokes.] #nycsc #ows
12:37 pm
First CQ, by TechOps. "For the record, we're wondering what other sort of reason besides violence this should apply to." #nycsc
12:37 pm
Cont'd: "This will be an important precedent, so succinctness and comprehensiveness is going to be important." #nycsc #ows
12:38 pm
Cont'd: "Physical violence is kind of vague, so I'd like it to be clear." Jeff will respond. #nycsc #ows
12:39 pm
Jeff: "Violating the principles of solidarity -- taking swings at someone, assaulting someone." Someone asks, includes verbal abuse? #nycsc
12:39 pm
Jeff's A: "Yes, verbal abuse -- well, threats of physical violence, like "I want to murder you."" #nycsc #OWS
12:40 pm
Nan and Trish are complaining out of process, echoing TechOps's concerns. Jason asks that only Spokes speak. #nycsc #ows
12:41 pm
Next, Minutes: "Our CQ is if we pass this, how will it be enforced? How will it be implemented?" #nycsc #OWS
12:41 pm
Jeff: "The only way I can suggest is any space that we can close, we exclude from. In public spaces, I expect we'd deny him…" #nycsc
12:42 pm
Cont'd: "..participation. Don't put him on stack. Deny him resources from accounting, SIS, etc. Perhaps even food." #nycsc #ows
12:42 pm
Cont'd: "There are plenty of public spaces we cannot remove people from. But even inside park we could exclude them from areas." #nycsc #ows
12:42 pm
Minutes: "And from housing?" Jeff: "We can control those spaces, so we can exclude them." #nycsc #ows
12:43 pm
Kitchen is next. "Hi, I kind of have a couple of questions. One is related to enforcement, but more particular, how will Kitchen…" #nycsc
12:43 pm
Cont'd: "…be able to enforce not feeding ppl? Because none of us in Kitchen feel comfortable w/ that position of saying in a public…" #nycsc
12:44 pm
Cont'd: "…place, you can't eat. So that will need to be answered if we're asked to do that. And 2nd, why wasn't it de-escalated properly?"
12:45 pm
Cont'd: "I saw the whole event explode, & a person who stood up to de-escalate was doing what he thought was right in an ugly situation."
12:45 pm
Jeff's A: "I understand denying ppl food is vry sensitive subject in general, not just for #OWS. I certainly hope he doesn't starve." #nycsc
12:46 pm
Cont'd: "There are plenty of resources in the city for it, and if he comes to us we should direct him to them." Notes that our money was...
12:46 pm
Cont'd: …donated to a non-violent movement. "If he walks up and takes something, I'm not asking for anyone to physically.." #nycga #ows
12:47 pm
Cont'd: "…stop him." Jeff notes that, re: de-escalation, "we asked him to leave. He kept standing there, threatening people." #nycsc #ows
12:47 pm
Someone was threatened and tried to push him, and then the attacker assaulted him. Jeff notes that de-escalation is supposed… #nycsc #ows
12:48 pm
Cont'd: …to be present when Metrocard s are distributed. "This has happened before, b/c we're in the uncomfortable situation of having the…"
12:49 pm
Cont'd: "…Metrocards." Picture the Homeless is next. "I'd like to make a proposal that this person be expelled, because violence…" #nycsc
12:49 pm
Cont'd: "…should never be tolerated in this forum. And if we are sleeping w/ persons who threaten violence, who knows what they…" #nycsc
12:49 pm
Cont'd: "…can do while we're sleeping." Jason thanks him, notes that "that is what the proposal is, and at this time, we're hearing CQs."
12:53 pm
@justinstoned we tweet out of process remarks when relevant to the narrative of what transpires, as much as is possible & w/ discretion
12:55 pm
Cont'd: "Next, we'll hear concerns. I'm sure many have concerns w/ this proposal, but we also have questions about what this.." #nycsc #ows
12:55 pm
Cont'd: "…proposal means." Safer Spaces steps up w/ their CQs. "First, we want to acknowledge that serious harm and physical violence.."
12:56 pm
Cont'd: "…is a reason to stop the process. Our first ? would be, is yr proposal to eject this person w/o a road back, w/o a way…" #nycsc
12:56 pm
Cont'd: "…to address the harm and to be accountable for that process, and come back to the movement?" Might be a FA if not. #nycsc #ows
12:57 pm
Cont'd: "On our community agreement, on last pg, it says "those who have committed harm…" - you can read that, but might address it." #nycsc
12:57 pm
Cont'd: "Next, what are we doing to help the person who was threatened? If they no longer have a safe space to go, what will we do…" #nycsc
12:58 pm
Cont'd: "…about that?" And thirdly, "are you proposing this apply to all incident or just this one?" #nycsc #ows
12:58 pm
Jeff: "1st, the road back. I've supported that idea in previous proposals. We haven't given thought to it in this proposal mostly.." #nycsc
12:58 pm
Cont'd: "… and we don't have an established process for a road back and I'm hesitant to form process in this proposal." #nycs #ows
12:59 pm
Jeff supports the idea but isn't sure this is the time for it. "As far as person injured, I'm also concerned. A facilitator was assaulted.."
12:59 pm
Cont'd: "…last week who has not returned to #SC. I don't know that it's connected, don't know it isn't. We don't have bars…" #nycsc #ows
13:00 pm
Cont'd: "…We cannot rehabilitate people. We're trying to protect every individual in this community, and so…" #nycsc #ows
13:00 pm
Cont'd: "…our absolutely primary impulse is to help individuals who have been attacked, and I hope they seek help in our mvmnt." #nycsc #ows
13:00 pm
Ravi notes that she did speak to "the facilitator who was attacked," & "he's not coming back. He's considering leaving the movement." #nycsc
13:01 pm
Jason: "Thank you for that. I'd like to close stack…" CQer notes she had one more, about whether the proposal was to apply to all incidents.
13:01 pm
Jeff: "I've had some experience w/ community agreements myself; I don't think the question is whether it should pertain to all.." #nycsc
13:02 pm
Cont'd: "…physical violence." He feels we should exclude all physical violence without exception. #nycsc #ows
13:02 pm
Nan starts talking, people shush her. Jeff notes greater question has to do with the type of physical violence, as well as enforcement.
13:02 pm
Jeff: "Right now, we have no process to determine in this group whether people's behavior deserves exclusion." Supports broader proposal...
13:03 pm
Cont'd: …to cover that. "For the time being, we ask simply that physical violence be grounds for exclusion." #nycsc #ows
13:04 pm
Next: "I think our concerns have bn addressed, re: appeals process / a way back." Nicole notes we're on clarifying questions, not concerns.
13:05 pm
OK, the last speaker says he does have a CQ, of sorts: "I guess there's nothing commenting on verbal threats." #nycsc #ows
13:05 pm
Next CQ: People of Color Caucus (@drovarela): "Expelled from what?" A: "This organization." CQ: "Why wasn't he given the metro card…" #nycsc
13:06 pm
Cont'd: "…& also, if you're pushing me, who's violent? And also, how is this situation different from the rape situation when someone was.."
13:06 pm
Cont'd: "…allowed to stay?" Jeff: "This individual was denied a metrocard because every working group has a limited allotment." #nycsc #ows
13:07 pm
Cont'd: "We've done a breakdown of metrocards versus total number of groups we have. That group, we already let extra ppl in…" #nycsc #ows
13:07 pm
Cont'd: "…b/c it's a large group, the occupiers." "We did not deny the individual a card; we gave him one last week, & we'd have.." #nycsc
13:07 pm
Cont'd: "…given him one this week, he just needed to find a different working group to get it through." #nycsc #OWS
13:09 pm
Cont'd: "It's a great question about who initiated the violence," points at larger questions: pushing, shoving? Threats of violence? #nycsc
13:09 pm
Cont'd; "And your last question is of great importance. We've previously dealt w/ threats in park; we had an incident recently when…" #nycsc
13:10 pm
Cont'd: "…an individual who'd been in our sleeping space for 3 days, it was brought to our attn he was accused of heinous crimes…" #nycsc
13:10 pm
Cont'd: "…in the park, against other occupiers. We have no process of enforcement; no group consensus ever came through…" #nycsc #ows
13:11 pm
Cont'd: "…the GA that any individuals had been excluded from the movement." So housing, he says, met to decide whether they would... #nycsc
13:11 pm
Cont'd: ..throw him out. They decided not to do so "in the middle of the night", but to exclude him the next day. #nycsc #ows
13:12 pm
CQ: "And you called the police tonite?" Jeff: "I called the police. And if there's any question, I'm the one who signed out the resources.."
13:12 pm
Cont'd: "..and the card was taken from me. 4 ppl were assaulted. I called the police." #nycsc #ows
13:13 pm
OK, next: Vision & Goals' CQ: "I need clarity, the good neighbor policy, is that just for liberty square, or applies to all spaces?" #nycsc
13:14 pm
Cont'd: "Because we had destruction of property as well as assault here; how does that affect proceedings going forward?" #nycsc #ows
13:15 pm
Nicole notes that's a ? for the group as to "how that translates." Anybody want to answer? Someone will read the Good Neighbor Policy aloud.
13:18 pm
Good neighbor policy that we passed at GA: http://t.co/d4AUARfR Nan: "It's only for the park." Others: "That doesn't make sense." #nycsc
13:19 pm
Nicole recaps for the group: "We asked if anyone could further explain the good neighbor policy through…" #nycsc #ows
13:20 pm
Cont'd: "…how it applies to other things. If the POI could speak through their spoke…" They're reading the Good Neighbor Policy. #nycsc #ows
13:21 pm
When the reading gets to "limiting drumming to 2hrs a day," we all have a big laugh! Oh, the good old days. That conflict seems so quaint.
13:22 pm
We also laugh at last line abt port-a-potties. V&Goals says the opposite of, but means, "We should be good neighbors everywhere." #scarcasm
13:23 pm
Jeff: "The 1st pt in the text says #OWS has zero tolerance for drugs & alcohol in the park." So, we tolerate drugs, alcohol outside of Park?
13:23 pm
Jeff: "The second pt says "zero tolerance for abuse," and doesn't specify location. So, applies everywhere. #nycsc #ows
13:24 pm
Next, Strong Women Rules (Nan): "I've got a few questions for you, Jeff. My 1st question for you is this: you allowed a gentleman..." #nycsc
13:24 pm
Cont'd: "..who's a raper -- a rapist, thank you -- " People question her spokehood, she says she didn't speak last time. Ooook. #nycsc
13:24 pm
Nan: "You allowed someone who raped a woman in the park in the church, and now you provoked someone you know has a mental problem..." #nycsc
13:25 pm
Cont'd: "..and you called the police without consulting #OWS." Sumumba: "You called the police to get back into a Spokes!" #nycsc
13:26 pm
Room loses focus after that. A lot of people don't want her to be able to speak [because she's such an anti-contributor -Ed.] #nycsc #ows
13:26 pm
Jason: "i want to say something abt disruptive behavior, as a facilitator. It can be a problem, but what's worse is when ppl react." #nycsc
13:26 pm
Cont'd: Notes the whole room reacted. "I understand many of you may have problems with this person, and may be waiting for proposal…" #nycsc
13:27 pm
Cont'd: "…at end abt Nan. But right now, you're disrupting more than this person is. I want to point that out to all of you…" #nycsc #ows
13:27 pm
Cont'd: "…so you can be aware of your own behavior. As a facilitator, I'm trying to hold this room together." #nycsc #ows
13:28 pm
PoI, Minutes (@CarrieM213): "This is to help you guys, OK? I'm the person for minutes who keeps track of who Spokes…" #nycsc #ows
13:28 pm
Cont'd: "…and Nan can be a Spoke tonight, OK?" Notes she Spoke Friday out of process, but it didn't make her a spoke necessarily. #nycsc
13:29 pm
Jason: "Thank you so much for that." 2 more CQs on stack, then Concerns. "What I'd like, Nan, for you to do, is to speak & continue…" #nycsc
13:29 pm
Cont'd: "…your points uninterrupted by the room and try to do it in less than 2 minutes. I'll cut you off after 2 minutes." #nycsc #ows
13:29 pm
Nan: "Like I was saying, Jeff, you've done several wrong things in this movement. You knew about the Metrocards; you knew…" #nycsc #ows
13:30 pm
Cont'd: "…that this guy had mental problems, and you knew the Metrocards belonged to the GA, to the ppl, and took it upon yourself…" #nycsc
13:31 pm
Cont'd: "…to call the police. I called the police because I was pushed by Jason to clear the room. So, how on earth are you going to have…"
13:31 pm
Cont'd: "…the Pastor of that church enforce your rules or demands?" Nicole: "Great; thank you for that question." #nycsc #ows
13:31 pm
Jeff notes he's happy to have the oppty to address this. "You mentioned I knew an individual who was accused -- I didn't. I'd never seen.."
13:32 pm
Cont'd: "…him before he was brought to me at SPSA that evening. And the second thing, which was very subtle, was that I allowed someone..."
13:32 pm
Cont'd:"…to do something. I don't have the authority to allow someone to do something, I just have to respect group consensus." #nycsc #ows
13:33 pm
Cont'd: "I expect to take this decision to the Pastor of the church where Will is sleeping, and I expect that pastor and the Park Slope…"
13:34 pm
Cont'd: "…community to enforce the will of this group, not just Jeff's feelings." Says he called NYPD b/c he's responsible for #OWS… #nycsc
13:34 pm
Cont'd: …property, and felt responsible to do so since he can't enforce the law himself. #nycsc #ows
13:34 pm
Next, Picture the Homeless. "This is a CQ about Minutes' POI. So, if we're doing spokes, and I want to break process, can I just talk.."
13:34 pm
Cont'd: "…in Spokes whenever w/o breaking process?" Nicole: "Facilitation is up here, and it's our job to maintain process. Sometimes ppl…"
13:36 pm
Cont'd: "…break process, & we don't have a uniform way to deal w/ that. We encourage you to not break process. Our job is to open…" #nycsc
13:37 pm
Cont'd: "…up a conversation." Nicole also notes that non-verbal dismissals don't "help us hold [a safe space for a conversation]." #nycsc
13:37 pm
Next, PtH's CQ: "My clarifying question is that I keep hearing about a rapist. I want to know, was this person tried and convicted?" #nycsc
13:38 pm
Cont'd: "This is America, whereby we say everyone is innocent until proven guilty. So I want to know if the person was tried…" #nycsc
13:38 pm
Cont'd: "…and convicted, or was it alleged?" Jeff: "It's a very serious accusation." Nan and Trish start yelling protests. #nycsc #ows
13:39 pm
Jason: "We don't want to start shouting out answers." Nicole: "This is why we have non-verbal communication." #nycsc #ows
13:39 pm
Safer Spaces responds. "This person hs charges of sexual assault against him, multiple, w/ multiple ppl. Criminal case pending." #nycsc #ows
13:40 pm
Cont'd: "He hasn't been at this point convicted, but he has multiple charges of sexual assault. SS has been in contact w/ at least.." #nycsc
13:40 pm
Cont'd: "…one survivor & has done a significant amnt of support work for" them. Notes there's an order of protection (restraining order).
13:41 pm
Nan interjects an unrecognized PoI: "Strong Women working group has been dealing with the rapers." Stairs asks her to hold off. #nycsc #ows
13:41 pm
Nicole: "We're talking right now about what might become our generalized way of dealing w/ violent behavior. OK? So a question abt…" #nycsc
13:41 pm
Cont'd: "…other violent behavior -- b/c yes, rape is violent behavior -- might be pertinent to this conversation." #nycsc #ows
13:42 pm
Nan's POI is that this guy raped 5 people. "There's a court date in Feb, and I'm one of the witnesses, I walked in and saw it." #nycsc #ows
13:43 pm
Cont'd :"The reason that this guy went out on bail is that he had a family member who works for the court system." $50k bail. #nycsc
13:44 pm
Nan is confident he'll be convicted "of all 5 rapes." Housing's PoI: "We don't have the authority to throw anyone out of the space. If ppl..
13:44 pm
Cont'd: "…in the community have an issue with someone being in that space, it's up to the community to decide what to do about that." #nycsc
13:45 pm
Cont'd: "We don't have the authority to kick ppl out of the space; that's why we're coming to Spokescouncil to bring this up." #nycsc #ows
13:45 pm
Shawn: "I've been raising this PoP for about 3 minutes now; I really have to say this. We are off-process right now for several reasons."
13:46 pm
Cont'd: "PoI are only factual & relevant to the proposal and to everyone in the room. When they spontaneously arise 1 after another…" #nycsc
13:46 pm
Cont'd: "…they are very clearly not relevant to the proposal we're talking about." Factual isn't the only criteria for PoI. #nycsc #ows
13:46 pm
Cont'd: "I know one reason we're off process is that stack wasn't closed at the right time, because one group that was on stack got…" #nycsc
13:47 pm
Cont'd: "…on stack again. Not closed, so that's one reason. And we're not using a stack greeter to take PoIs, which we've done for awhile."
13:48 pm
Nicole notes that it's because there were only 2 of them on the team when they walked in. Also, "as a good friend of mine says, sometimes…"
13:48 pm
Cont'd:"…if you can't see how a PoI is related, sometimes it doesn't mean it's not related- just that you can't see how it is." #nycsc #ows
13:49 pm
Next CQ: "Back to original proposal, it was a 2-for, right? We're unclear, there's been discussion, but whether it included verbal.."#nycsc
13:50 pm
Cont'd: "..violence, & if it does, what's the exact def. of that?" Jeff: "I think it should, but the group has to decide what's too far."
13:51 pm
Cont'd: "Are damaging rumors, slander, behind a person's back? Threats to a person's face, "I'll murder you?" Thinks we should deal… #nycsc
13:51 pm
Cont'd: …with it case-by-case, "but it is something we should remove a person for." Threats, he thinks, should count. #nycsc #OWS
13:52 pm
Jeff: "We're #OWS. We're not violent." Nicole notes that's the end of CQs; now for concerns. #nycsc #OWS
13:53 pm
Jason asks for our patience, noting that we probably won't get to much else on the agenda, reminds us to keep side convos to nil. #nycsc
13:54 pm
Jason: "We're taking stack on concerns, and there will be a lot of them." Someone notes that new info may need discussion. #nycsc #ows
13:54 pm
Jason: "Great point- I'm going to take these side conversations as a sign that you need to check in 1 more time." More time w/ Spokes now.
13:55 pm
OK, we're back. Jason: "What we're going to do now is have our stacktaker take stack on concerns." #nycsc #ows
13:55 pm
Jason: "I just want to remind everyone, we've been talking about this topic for an hour & 15 minutes. It's 9:43pm right now." #nycsc #ows
13:56 pm
Jason: "I want to try to get out of this space by 10:30, and I know we can come to a consensus decision on this topic…" #nycsc #ows
13:56 pm
Cont'd: "..and bring it back to the tabled Facilitation proposal." Proposal is being restated one more time... #nycsc #ows
13:57 pm
Jeff: "Just for clarity, I think a number of ppl asked questions about inclusion/exclusion of verbal violence, so on." #nycsc #ows
13:58 pm
Jeff: "Just for the sake of brevity, this is dealing w/ [this attack]," affecting this space and the church in Park Slope, Brooklyn. #nycsc
13:58 pm
Jeff: "I am a big believer in community agreements. I think we need effective, practical, functional CAs; I'm not trying to write those…"
13:59 pm
Cont'd: "…in this time period. It should be a top priority, bt tonight I'm asking for action against a single individual, Will, who…" #nycsc
13:59 pm
Cont'd: "…acted violently in this space, against occupiers, for physical items." Wants to stick to this issue for this proposal. #nycsc #ows
14:00 pm
Jason announces that he's now going to close stack. "We have 15 ppl on stack right now, which will take about 30 minutes." #nycsc #ows
14:01 pm
Timekeeper notes he'll "time you; when the time goes off, I'll give you a warning about 30 seconds. When you're done, you're done." #nycsc
14:02 pm
Cont'd: "…because we have to get out of here. Is this OK?" Yeah. Anti-Racism Allies' cncrn. "So, the first concern we had actually.." #nycsc
14:02 pm
Cont'd: "…has to do with the racial & class dimensions that pertain to this tonight. We don't believe that this person who is threatening…"
14:02 pm
Cont'd: "…and has used violence should be in a space that should be safe, & it's up to that community, & we think they should be excluded."
14:03 pm
Cont'd: "But this relates to issues racial justice forum a few weeks ago brings up; when a white man is handing out metrocards…" #nycsc
14:04 pm
Cont'd: "…and a homeless person of color is receiving them, we do need to look at that dynamic and unpack it." #nycsc #ows
14:05 pm
ARA also notes that Safer Spaces also has a proposal pertaining to agreements and they feel a lot more comfortable w/ that one. #nycsc #ows
14:06 pm
ARA are also uncomfortable with how ppl were throwing the word rape around earlier. "We understand there was a proposal to exclude…" #nycsc
14:06 pm
Cont'd: "…someone who had done that was excluded by Spokescouncil previously." They want to note that. #nycsc #OWS
14:07 pm
Next, Think Tank: "We just want to make sure that in this case Mediation is part of process. And we do think [the attacker]…" #nycsc #ows
14:08 pm
Cont'd: "…shouldn't be allowed back into the space tonight if ppl feel unsafe. But he and the other person should be involved in mediation."
14:09 pm
Next, Direct Action. "We'd like to call for a breakout group to talk about the process back for anyone accused of said violence." #nycsc
14:11 pm
Next: Strong Women Rules working group, Nan: "Can you come back to me, because I'm smelling a fart right now." #Jokes! [Sheesh. -Ed.] #nycsc
14:11 pm
Next CQ: "What are the greater implications of not making a decision tonight?" Jeff: "I think absolutely a decision should be made…" #nycsc
14:12 pm
Cont'd: "…that's why this is an emergency proposal." Violence has occurred, and they're uncomfortable with him in Housing. #nycsc
14:12 pm
Jeff: "We'd like a decision on this this evening to effect policies to prevent further damage to this community." #nycsc #ows
14:13 pm
Jeff: "We're not trying to punish people; this isn't a punitive action. We're simply trying to protect this community." #nycsc #ows
14:13 pm
Next, Kitchen. "The concern is, again, whatever we end up deciding, if we're asked to not serve food to this individual, there are…" #nycsc
14:14 pm
Cont'd: "…other people who might not observe tht." Also don't feel comfortable asking volunteers not to serve food in a public space. #nycsc
14:15 pm
Cont'd: "If we're going to be asked to do that, then we're going to need some sort of…" (It sounds lk they wnt de-escalation's help?) #nycsc
14:15 pm
Jeff answers. "I think you're talking about a larger issue for the community to decide, whether we're performing social services or not."
14:16 pm
Cont'd: "I think that's a discussion that can happen- not tonight; it's a serious discussion tht needs to happen. We're asking…" #nycsc #ows
14:17 pm
Cont'd: "…that this person not get #OWS resources, which may include food." Trish, Nan, and at least one other vocalize "No." #nycsc #ows
14:17 pm
Jason: "Kitchen seems to have a concern w/ excluding this person from food. Is that part of the proposal?" #nycsc #ows
14:18 pm
Jeff: "We mean resources, unless you strongly feel we shld serve food to ppl who committed violence against #OWS occupiers." #ohsnap #nycsc
14:22 pm
Kitchen: "My concern is if we're going to be asked to do tht, we're put in a very uncomfortable position of denying someone a basic…" #nycsc
14:22 pm
Cont'd: "…right, and asking ppl who volunteer to serve food, that they can't serve this person in front of other people who can get food."
14:22 pm
Kitchen: "I think if they're being denied food, there are some ppl who won't understand the situation of why, if we're asked to do that."
14:25 pm
Kitchen continues with their second concern, "about the person who was in a scuffle with [the attacker]." #nycsc #ows
14:25 pm
Cont'd: "Why isn't there something else being done about him, because he helped escalate it?" #nycsc #ows
14:25 pm
Jeff feels the person who scuffled didn't "assault Will, he was assaulted by Will, and Will then assaulted several others." #nycsc #ows
14:27 pm
They say a witness said they pushed Will first, others contradict. Strong Women Rules is next; Nan's handed off the spoke role. #nycsc #ows
14:27 pm
SWR: "Some bullet points: we've had no finding of fact; just a dispute here about who pushed who first- that's critically important." #nycsc
14:28 pm
Cont'd: "Also, we don't know what his side is; he has no right to face his accuser, we have no solid standard for verbal violence…" #nycsc
14:28 pm
Cont'd: "…we have no understanding of history between these people. 99% of time is talking about rules, and not facts of who…" #nycsc #ows
14:28 pm
Cont'd: "…pushed who first, and the person telling us what the rules are, I don't know if he saw anything - we don't know what happened."
14:29 pm
Nan jumps back in after giving up spoke role. "#SC is #SC; the ppl, the GA need to make that decision about if we feed people." #nycsc #ows
14:29 pm
Cont'd: "And I think the community at that church needs to decide whether to remove people, not us." #nycsc #ows
14:29 pm
Jeff: "First, they'll have a hard time doing that because it didn't occur here. They're not empowered to make decisions about #OWS policy.."
14:29 pm
Cont'd: "…outside of their community space. #OWS is empowered to make this decision." RE: GA and Spokes, notes Spokes has power… #nycsc #ows
14:30 pm
Cont'd: …to make decision about operations, which he feels this applies to because Housing is an operational effort. #nycsc #ows
14:30 pm
Jeff: "Who pushed who would be interesting if we were only talking about initial contact; but Will assaulted several others after." #nycsc
14:31 pm
Jeff again cites Brooke's earlier recounting, notes his recounting would be far less neutral. #nycsc #OWS
14:31 pm
Jeff: "This went beyond initial conflict and included several other ppl, including those threatened." #nycsc #ows
14:32 pm
Cont'd: "This person isn't here b/c he was asked to leave, but has ppl to speak on his behalf. This isn't a trial…" #nycsc #ows
14:32 pm
Cont'd: "…and it's not to make judgements…we're simply asking for protection of this #OWS community." #nycsc #OWS
14:32 pm
Next, Media. "We are also concerned with the lack of due process and the fact that there may or may not be another person who…" #nycsc #ows
14:33 pm
Cont'd: "…also escalated." But they're mainly concerned that also there was physical aggression against a female also involved. #nycsc
14:33 pm
Jeff: "I personally would not mention that, because I don't see gender in any case -- I think violence against a human being…" #nycsc #ows
14:34 pm
Folks react sharply to that last remark. [Wow, 'gender blindness.' That's a new one. -Ed.] Jason notes Jeff needn't respond to every C.
14:35 pm
Jason to Jeff: "Some of these may not be pertinent to whether your proposal will be changed. For time, pls [don't comment on all of them]."
14:36 pm
Next, DAP. "My group has a positive concern for this proposal. To briefly borrow the words of MLK, this movement is seeking…" #nycsc #ows
14:37 pm
Cont'd: "…a revolution of values - a world that has no violence in it of any kind, be it verbal, physical, racial, sexual, any type." #nycsc
14:38 pm
Cont'd: "We create an example by growing a community into a movement and then spreading worldwide!" #nycsc #ows
14:38 pm
Cont'd: "We need to set an example that everyone be completely nonviolent, & it may be difficult at first, but that's the community…" #nycsc
14:38 pm
Cont'd: "…my group feels we must create, and if you're not completely non-violent you're not a part of this movement." #nycsc #ows
14:39 pm
PoCC, @drovarela: "We feel like violence is unacceptable; safety for all is paramount. On same page, echo strongly" Safer Spaces and ARA.
14:40 pm
Cont'd: "But this is an emergency proposal to deal with an immediate need; the long-term effects should be dealt effectively…" #nycsc #ows
14:41 pm
Cont'd: ".. at another time, & not with this shock doctrine approach." Started as immediate concern, "but now we're broadening." #nycsc #ows
14:41 pm
PoCC Cont'd: we feel we need to be constructive and make solutions palatable for community and for wider society. #nycsc #ows
14:42 pm
PoCC: "Sometimes outrage is a rational feeling, so we want to echo that, and recognize the very monster we're here to battle…" #nycsc #ows
14:43 pm
Cont'd: "…capitalism, greed, are responsible for many of these personal behaviors." Ask that group recognizes that violence… #nycsc #ows
14:44 pm
Cont'd: …has many flavors." Want to really talk about building breakout group right now to start working on "the road back." #nycsc #ows
14:44 pm
Cont'd: "Also, distribution of housing & metrocards is creating a power struggle that's exacerbating the situation. Withholding resources.."
14:44 pm
Cont'd: "…like housing or food is violence." "We respect all of the effort that you're giving, but it doesn't change that broader picture."
14:45 pm
Cont'd: "We'd ask that the working group [requirement for getting metrocards] just be removed. Because we see reaction to that every day."
14:45 pm
Cont'd: "We're putting Jeff, and everyone else, in an unsafe situation. We need to remove that clause, & thanks for indulging me…" #nycsc
14:46 pm
Cont'd: "Jeff, we ask you respectfully to consider the things that happened w/ housing, the sexual assault, that you reconsider yr.." #nycsc
14:47 pm
Cont'd: "…role in housing, & the power that, without you wanting it, seems to reside in your hands." Offers to help redistribute it.. #nycsc
14:47 pm
Cont'd: ..and notes that he is becoming a lightning rod. Applause follows for @drovarela's statement. #nycsc #ows
14:48 pm
Jeff: "First, we gave out metrocards last night; I wasn't involved. Only happened this eve because" he was waiting for a volunteer. #nycsc
14:48 pm
Cont'd: "As far as the fact that resources, and their existence, causes a disturbance inside of this movement… I want to remind the group…"
14:48 pm
Cont'd: "…that the basic struggle of humanity has been a struggle for resources." Land, finances, everything, he says. #nycsc #OWS
14:49 pm
Cont'd: "This movement you're in is not new, whether it started in Biblical times or further." Groans. "This is an age-old struggle…" #nycsc
14:50 pm
Cont'd: "…if you don't understand the very basis of why we're here is to talk about resources; to ask that there's no differentiation..."
14:50 pm
Cont'd: "…between resource allocation, is to be blind to, that's why we're protesting. Resources aren't infinite…" #nycsc #ows
14:51 pm
Cont'd: "…this is abt a fair process for obtaining resources." [Lots of folks right now beg to differ, things are a little rambunctious.]
14:51 pm
Nicole: "We are going to keep all of this to answering concerns… we're not taking this moment to define what the movement is." #nycsc
14:51 pm
Cont'd: "This is about the urgent matter of housing tonight, for this individual." Asks we remember the topic and stick to it. #nycsc #ows
14:52 pm
Women Occupying Wall St.: "We have a concern & an amendment: there's no clear way of enforcement, & there's no way of excluding someone.."
14:52 pm
Cont'd: "…from someplace like, say 60 Wall. And we want this to apply to all future situations, and spread community-wide…" #nycsc #ows
14:53 pm
Cont'd: "…why this person was excluded, and if they try to return, we want someone like de-escalation and witnesses…" #nycsc #ows
14:53 pm
Cont'd: "…at the door to let them know explicitly why they've been excluded." #nycsc #ows
14:53 pm
Kitchen want to make a friendly amendment. "Building off of what Alejandro said, let's split into Housing and then other issues.." #nycsc
14:54 pm
Cont'd: "…separately." A: "I'm going to decline the amendment to split this up; isn't abt Housing, it's abt #OWS as an organization." #nycsc
14:54 pm
Next, OWS Works, Ravi. "The concern I want to bring is actually the concern of the man who was threatened. He needed to leave…" #nycsc #ows
14:55 pm
Cont'd: "…to make sure that Park Slope is safe. His concern is he was threatened -- he was told by the individual that he would murder him."
14:55 pm
Cont'd: "People's stuff is there [at Park Slope]; they're very worried. Alec wanted everyone to know how urgent the situation is." #nycsc
14:55 pm
Next Concern: Vision and Goals, Sumumba. "As a witness, and a person of color, I want to say that… I have a concern, a safety.." #nycsc
14:56 pm
Cont'd: "…concern, and a friendly amendment. I've witnessed violence at the last 2 spokescouncils; I've witnessed where someone…" #nycsc
14:56 pm
Cont'd: "…was swung upon. This was from a person of color to another, & my concern is we'll allow this and it will lead to someone…" #nycsc
14:56 pm
Cont'd: "…getting seriously hurt. You can twinkle down, but I'm a person of color, & I am homeless." Nan is reacting negatively. #nycsc #ows
14:57 pm
Sumumba continues. "I'm a PoC, so I'm vry sensitive to that. Bt this individual took a metrocard, I know you can go to a shelter to…" #nycsc
14:57 pm
Cont'd: "…get a free meal and a cot. To say this person has nowhere to sleep at night is fallacious. I'm sleeping on someone's cot." #nycsc
14:58 pm
Sumumba notes he is concerned not just with this individual but anyone caught on record behaving violently. #nycsc #ows
14:58 pm
Sumumba: "We don't have a safe space right now, and if we don't resolve this, we won't have housing or Spokes anymore." #nycsc #ows
14:59 pm
Nicole: "Before we go on with stack.. and I really hate to do this, but this is where we're at and I want your input… since this wasn't.."
14:59 pm
Cont'd: "..brought by a working group, & deals with an incident, this proposal belongs to all of us. And the urgency has to do with…" #nycsc
15:00 pm
Cont'd: "…tonight. The Housing tonight. RE: Kitchen, it doesn't seem to be as urgent, so maybe it can go to GA tomorrow…" #nycsc #ows
15:00 pm
Cont'd: "..but the urgency seems to be w/ housing tonight." So, Nicole PoPs "this entire process", hopes the proposal is just about tonight.
15:01 pm
Nicole asks that we check in within WGs on "moving forward with that." [So, essentially, she wants us to restrict proposal to housing. -Ed.]
15:01 pm
Spokes are now conferring with their working groups about this potential change to the proposal. It's 10:20pm, & time is short. #nycsc #ows
15:04 pm
After a short convo, Nicole claps us back into session. "Clap four times if you can hear me!" All back together now! #nycsc #ows
15:04 pm
Nicole switches: "The proposal was to take the urgent aspect of this, the housing tonight, and to make that what we're voting on." #nycsc
15:05 pm
PoP: "Isn't the proposer the person who can change the proposal?" Jeff, miffed: "Did Facilitation just change the proposal?" #nycsc #ows
15:05 pm
Jason: "The reason my co-facilitator is saying this is that this is an emergency about tonight, and we're making some big decisions…" #nycsc
15:05 pm
Cont'd: "…about this emergency proposal, which delayed our agenda, which had a proposal on it that should have dealt with this." #nycsc #ows
15:06 pm
Cont'd: "So, as a facilitation team, rather than have this emergency proposal be some broad thing," let's restrict it to emergency. #nycsc
15:06 pm
Cont'd: "We feel as facilitators this proposal is out of process, & needs to deal with the emergency issue of this individual." #nycsc #OWS
15:06 pm
Cont'd: "Facilitators are not supposed to have opinions, but we feel this is a process situation we're dealing with." #nycsc #OWS
15:07 pm
Cont'd: "Especially in light of Safer Spaces' proposal having been tabled to deal with this." #nycsc #OWS
15:07 pm
Someone: "Violence is out of process." Stairs: "So that's why we want it to deal with this situation in particular," not a blanket stment...
15:08 pm
Ravi: "Is there a situation wherein violence would be accessible?" Stairs direct folks back to the temp check on the change. #nycsc #ows
15:09 pm
Very few spoke signs went up, but not clear all participated. People seem to be frustrated Facilitators 'broke the 4th wall', as it were.
15:09 pm
PoCC stepping in. "This is an emergency proposal; there's no need to accept violence, so we need to focus on what happened today.." #nycsc
15:09 pm
Cont'd: "…and what happens in the housing in park slope. Yes or no? That's the emergency. You have an issue where some ppl got threatened.."
15:11 pm
Cont'd: "…and they're going to share space in Park Slope. And everyone there has a responsibility to look out for everybody, and if…" #nycsc
15:12 pm
Cont'd: "..this person threatened, you may need to let the church know." Jeff: "Also [that]." PoCC (@blogdiva): "Yes or no?" #nycsc #OWS
15:12 pm
Jeff pushes back: "I'm also concerned about housing for tomorrow night, and meetings tomorrow before we address this issue." #nycsc #OWS
15:13 pm
.@blogdiva: "Don't you have to tell them tonight? Yes or no?" Jeff: "Also [that]." But @blogdiva presses him on whether he needs... #nycsc
15:14 pm
Cont'd: …to tell the church & whether that would prevent danger frm entering anyway. Jeff: "Also." Restates concern for other spaces. #nycsc
15:14 pm
.@blogdiva: "The issue is that you have a safety issue at the church. We have a Safer Spaces proposal that's huge and covers a wide…" #nycsc
15:15 pm
Cont'd: "…issue of violence and safety. So are we going to deal with the issue of violence at the church?" Jeff: "I hope so." #nycsc #OWS
15:16 pm
.@blogdiva insists we then must focus on this emergency. Some murmur in crowd that Alec needs to feel safe in all #OWS spaces. #nycsc
15:17 pm
Jeff: "He needs to be excluded frm #OWS activities, which includes the church." Again says we should address broader questions later… #nycsc
15:17 pm
…yet continues: "…but we need to deal with other spaces. Like GA tomorrow. Will someone put him on stack?" #nycsc #ows
15:18 pm
Jeff's "not here to judge or punish this individual; we just want to protect ppl in #OWS who've bn assaulted for following process." #nycsc
15:19 pm
Jeff says he hopes SS gets its proposal through, "I know they brought it last week, but we needed it months ago." #nycsc #ows
15:19 pm
Jeff: "We're concerned that -- and I hate to even use the words -- some of those threats may be followed through on." #nycsc #ows
15:20 pm
.@shawncarrie for @DAP notes tht PoCC's statement awhile ago was out of process, derailed it, and he wants to return to process. #nycsc #ows
15:21 pm
Jason notes we can continue til abt 11. It's 10:30. "We're responsible for facilitating a democratic process; this is not in any rulebook.."
15:21 pm
Cont'd: "..and we're doing the best we can." Back to stack: PR, @Dwayne_wins. "My concern w/ this proposal is the language of removing…"
15:22 pm
Cont'd: "..someone from #OWS, b/c it's supposed to be all-inclusive, and people have done worse things. I understand what…" #nycsc #ows
15:22 pm
Cont'd: "…he did was wrong, and not allowing him to stay at the church for safety reasons, but saying 'remove him from…'" #nycsc
15:23 pm
Cont'd: "'…the movement' is opening up a huge can of worms that threatens many individuals who are supposed to be part of the 99%." #nycsc
15:23 pm
Dwayne also feels "removing food from someone is inhumane. If the US gov't stopped feeding prisoners, we'd be outraged, & we should…" #nycsc
15:23 pm
Cont'd: "…treat ppl in our movement the same way." Next, Safer Spaces. "Referring to our original concern, I want to address that…" #nycsc
15:25 pm
Cont'd: "…it's come up that [our proposal] is a way to deal w/ all of this - that's not true, puts a lot of weight on smthing that…" #nycsc
15:25 pm
Cont'd: "…is supposed to be the start of a process." Notes tht it's not their proposal, it's everyone's, b/c of inclusive process. #nycsc
15:26 pm
Cont'd: "It doesn't yet specify a process of accountability or anything like that, & I feel like that's been implied; want to clarify that."
15:26 pm
Cont'd: "My next cncrn is that ppl threatened haven't been asked what they need -- I guess they have a bit, but want to add FA that…" #nycsc
15:27 pm
Cont'd: "…safer spaces is empowered to reach out to those people to ask what they think the process of returning to mvmnt should be." #nycsc
15:28 pm
Cont'd: "We want a clear road back, & Safer Spaces wants to take responsibility for reaching out to those harmed to determine that." #nycsc
15:29 pm
DA: "Our amendment was to make a breakout group to create an appeals process for returning. So before SS offers their services.." #nycsc
15:30 pm
Cont'd: "…there are two opportunities for helping people create a way back in." Safer Spaces clarifies: just want to check in w/... #nycsc
15:33 pm
[POI: We're posting the last batch of last night's strike-delayed #NYCSC tweets over at @LibertySqGA4 right now. And see you at 7 for GA!]
15:33 pm
Cont'd: …ppl who were harmed to see what they think. "I don't think we can determine that w/o talking to them." #nycsc #ows
15:34 pm
Next, Anti Political Repression. "This has been really confusing. Whether or not this is a long-term thing we're trying to…" #nycsc #ows
15:34 pm
Cont'd: "…pass tonight, or just for tonight, this FA is still relevant. I want to amend that we very precisely define verbal…" #nycsc #ows
15:35 pm
Cont'd: "..violence in this circumstance, and use it as precedent later on, as interpersonal credible threats of violence." #nycsc #ows
15:37 pm
Cont'd: "I think we need to be very specific, and very precise." Jeff pauses, then accepts the language as an amendment. #nycsc #ows
15:39 pm
Last on stack for Concerns/FAs: Facilitation. "Let's see… there's this kind of weirdo dynamic that we talked about as a concern…" #nycsc
15:40 pm
Cont'd: "...that none of us -- well, most of us don't live at Park Slope; weird that we're making a decision for folks from community many…"
15:41 pm
Cont'd: "…of us aren't a part of. So a concern we have - beyond that - is if any decisions are made here, especially re: mediation…" #nycsc
15:41 pm
Cont'd: "…and the road back, we're concerned it's not the Park Slope community doing that, but rather other folks…" #nycsc #ows
15:42 pm
Cont'd: "…trying to do that for them, so we want to make sure that doesn't happen. We also have a…" Michael interrupts. #nycsc #ows
15:42 pm
Michael: "She's saying that no one knows anything about the ppl in Park Slope. Why is that? It's because no one has listened." #nycsc #ows
15:43 pm
Michael gets pushy with Jason, who tried to point-of-process him, and then storms out. Jason clarifies that it started because… #nycsc #ows
15:43 pm
Cont'd: …he asked Michael to move because he was blocking peoples' view of the speaker. Moving on... #nycsc #ows
15:45 pm
Facilitation resumes speaking. "We also had a concern about just limiting it tonight -- like, let's make this space feel safe…" #nycsc #ows
15:45 pm
Cont'd: "…and like Safer Spaces was saying," we really need to ask the affected what they need. She's opposed to making this… #nycsc #ows
15:46 pm
Cont'd: …a one-day fix, should be done right. Jeff notes that Park Slope can't make a decision about events that happen elsewhere. #nycsc
15:46 pm
Jeff: "We can't decide based on a criminal record, but we can make judgment about what happens here in this community." #nycsc #ows
15:47 pm
Jeff: "In fact, I'm not talking about the Park Slope community, I'm talking about these folks [us]" who fund that space. #nycsc #ows
15:48 pm
Cont'd: "We don't have to support someone who is committing physical acts." If they had no other recourse in town, it'd be different. #nycsc
15:48 pm
Cont'd: "The truth is, there's other shelters, other opportunities to eat, other resources in this city. So no, I don't feel we're…" #nycsc
15:49 pm
Cont'd: "…committing "violence" by excluding people." Just keeping community safe. "We're simply saying: in #OWS, violence is not ok."#nycsc
15:49 pm
Cont'd: "I still think Will will find a home somewhere in this city. But not with a movement of people who're non-violent." #nycsc #ows
15:50 pm
Stairs asks Jeff to now restate the proposal, with the accepted friendly amendments. #nycsc #ows
15:51 pm
Jeff: "So far, the only friendly amendment I've accepted has had to do with the definition of verbal violence." #nycsc #ows
15:51 pm
Cont'd: "Otherwise, we just ask that #OWS stops supporting this individual who committed & threatened physical violence against ppl." #nycsc
15:52 pm
Cont'd: "We're asking to cut housing, food, participation in GA, & any events, until there's a road back via mediation for them to return."
15:54 pm
Cont'd: "In the meantime, I think we need to separate this person from #OWS, period." #nycsc #ows
15:55 pm
Nicole: "What I hear is that the Think Tank FA has been accepted…" Jeff won't accept the mediation aspect, tho; too specific. #nycsc #OWS
15:55 pm
Jeff: "I'm willing to accept that there may be a road back in the future; I just don't know what it is." #nycsc #ows
15:56 pm
Others will restate FAs Jeff missed. DA's as "to establish a breakout group for Friday to build a 'road back' or appeals process…" #nycsc
15:58 pm
Cont'd: "…for any person who's kicked out." Jeff: "OK, so we establish a time for the discussion, but not what the result is, right now."
15:58 pm
DA: "The amendment is that a subgroup be established on Friday to find a road back, and if it doesn't happen Friday, this proposal expires."
15:59 pm
Ravi shouts: "So, what, he's allowed back?" Jason: "This is a space where people can express their opinion without being…" #nycsc
16:00 pm
Cont'd: "…shut down or, out of process, stomped on." Jeff seems to accept the DA amendment as just restated. #nycsc #ows
16:01 pm
Media has a PoI (@TesselizaTC): "As someone physically struck by this individual this evening, I would block any proposal from tonight..."
16:01 pm
Cont'd: "…that indefinitely bans this person from our mvment. I'd block tht. I think immediate safety is a serious concern; I think there…"
16:02 pm
Cont'd: "…needs to be something established until Wednesday, when we deal, first and foremost, with the Safer Spaces proposal.." #nycsc
16:03 pm
Cont'd: "..that was meant to be on the agenda tonight. This is a specific incident and we can't be making any permanent or long-term..."
16:03 pm
Cont'd: "…decisions based on this. And I'm speaking as someone who is really freaked out right now from being hit." #nycsc #ows
16:03 pm
Nicole restates: the FA is to make whatever happens today go on only until next SC, on Wednesday, when Safer Spaces' proposal is up. #nycsc
16:04 pm
Jeff: "Again, I'm not opposed to having Safer Spaces set policy on CA. I'm opposed to having timelines and deadlines…" #nycsc #ows
16:05 pm
Jeff notes that Safer Spaces' proposal has been tabled by time limits repeatedly, as if to suggest we can't rely on that fix. #nycsc #ows
16:06 pm
Jeff: "I'd be willing to accept the friendly amendment that we put this in place until SS is passed and we have some community agreements."
16:06 pm
Cont'd: "It might be Weds, Fri, whenever that goes through." @TesselizaTC: "As long as SS is first on the agenda Wednesday." #nycsc #ows
16:07 pm
Jeff: "So, this exclusion becomes effective until we consense on a safer spaces agreement. I'll accept that." #nycsc #ows
16:07 pm
WoW's FA from earlier was that the entire community be made aware and and that de-escalation and witnesses stand at entrances… #nycsc #ows
16:07 pm
Cont'd: "…and inform the individual specifically why they're banned." #nycsc #ows
16:08 pm
They also ask that "this applies to all future situations," and Jeff notes that he accepts that as limited by Tess' proposal. #nycsc #ows
16:08 pm
Jeff: "And absolutely, we should tell them why we've done this," and whole community. Notes in past this hasn't always happened. #nycsc #ows
16:09 pm
Nicole: "OK, so we're going to move to consensus process. Let's check in and decide if we're ready to do that…" First, Jeff restates. #nycsc
16:10 pm
Jeff restates the proposal. "We're going to ask that this individual who verbally and physically assaulted this community…" #nycsc #ows
16:10 pm
Cont'd: "…be excluded from #OWS resources and activities until Safer Spaces' community agreements are consensed upon." #nycsc #ows
16:11 pm
Cont'd: "In the meantime, we'll have a breakout grp to discuss the road back; Weds we'll discuss broader community agreements." #nycsc #ows
16:11 pm
SS: "I just heard persons and people, and I just want to clarify--" Jeff: "Person." OK. So this excludes just this person, Will. #nycsc #ows
16:12 pm
Media notes that they'd block it as it stands right now "basically because of the exclusion from-- I agree with exclusion from #SC…" #nycsc
16:12 pm
Cont'd: "…and church, but the other exclusions, like food, we'd block based on." #nycsc #ows
16:13 pm
Nicole notes that if we move forward, as the facilitators would like to do, Media can block & make that a friendly amendment to resolve it.
16:13 pm
.@shawncarrie asks if we'll help him find other resources. Jeff: "Absolutely. That's fine. We just wnt to protect ppl in #OWS frm violence."
16:14 pm
Nicole reviews how we got here. "We went through CQs; that took quite some time. Then we went through Concerns at some length." #nycsc #ows
16:14 pm
Cont'd: "Then FAs were in there, and we extracted them and talked about more. Now we've reviewed, and it's time to move on to consensus."
16:16 pm
Cont'd: "So, the next question I'll ask is if there are any standasides on this matter." Folks want time to confer; Stairs gives it. #nycsc
16:16 pm
Suggested length for this consultation period w/in wrkng grps is 3 minutes. It's been like 5 already. Ha. It's 11:01, so we're in OT. #nycsc
16:17 pm
Tony from BAI, sitting next to me, observes: Jeff seems to have made a decision on his own to restrict access to community resources. #nycsc
16:17 pm
Jason notes we're staying beyond time we're asked to leave, but we apparently have some dispensation. Need to bring it home tho. #nycsc #ows
16:18 pm
Stairs use the new "fist in air" signal for solidarity, until everyone is quiet. Nicole: "Good job, everyone. We did it." #nycsc #ows
16:18 pm
Nicole asks for standasides to register their vote. Facilitation: "We just don't have a full consensus." 1 stand aside. #nycsc #ows
16:19 pm
Nicole: "Any blocks on this?" Five. Kitchen will speak to theirs first: "We don't have a problem w/ removing disruptive people…" #nycsc
16:19 pm
Cont'd: "…from access to our resources, but the request on Kitchen to not serve certain ppl in public spaces puts us in the position…"
16:19 pm
Cont'd: "..where we either don't enforce this -- and thus would like FA that we don't have to -- or we'd have to stop serving in public."
16:20 pm
Cont'd: "B/c it's just not OK to ask a volunteer to create a situation w/ a dangerous person where there might be a violent confrontation."
16:20 pm
Cont'd: "So we either serve everyone, or we stop serving in public places." So the FA to resolve block is to exempt Food. #nycsc #ows
16:20 pm
Jeff accepts that friendly amendment, removing Kitchen's block. PoCC has a block: "We feel this is one of those omni bills through…" #nycsc
16:21 pm
Cont'd: "…Congress where we have to support a war to support AIDS funding, and we don't want that. We don't want…" #nycsc #ows
16:22 pm
Cont'd: "…all these services to be denied, and we don't want to be addressing big issues without addressing causes." #nycsc #OWS
16:23 pm
Cont'd: "The resource issues are contributing, outside resources - we think we've reached limit of what we can do. & the metrocard policy."
16:24 pm
Nicole asks Alejandro if PoCC has friendly amndmnts. "We stated them before; he rejected all of them." Nicole invites him to restate. #nycsc
16:24 pm
Alejandro: "I feel like very few ppl are handling a lot of responsibilities and facing burnout w/ Metrocard and other responsibilities."
16:25 pm
Cont'd: "I offered to help redistributing that so it's not just on Jeff. And I think it just being on Jeff is contributing to the problem."
16:27 pm
Cont'd: "And #2, those outside resources; I think the task force DA suggested should include outside voices" who may have solutions. #nycsc
16:27 pm
Cont'd: "And finally, I think we need to remove that clause [requiring Working Group approval] in the Metrocard policy." #nycsc #ows
16:28 pm
Jeff accepts the DA thing; but "This isn't about me." "The person who started Metrocards was Lauren, and she had to step away because…"
16:28 pm
Cont'd: "…she was experiencing so many threats of violence, that she had to step back and had an emotional..." #nycsc #ows
16:29 pm
People are mad that Jeff just talked about Lauren's health situation. [He said more that I excised.] Jason brings us back to focus. #nycsc
16:30 pm
Jeff: "Let me apologize. But I do think it's important to say that ppl who had given out Metrocards had received threats personally." #nycsc
16:31 pm
Jeff: Also, RE: "the clause inside Metrocard proposal that requires WGs to sign [people off to get them]…" #nycsc #ows
16:32 pm
Jeff cont'd: "That came from Strong Women Rules, not housing, and I myself do not feel empowered to remove that from the statement..."#nycsc
16:32 pm
Cont'd: "…nor do I personally think we should break down process to accept ppl who don't like process or use violence b/c of it." #nycsc
16:32 pm
Cont'd: "Sorry. I decline that friendly amendment." #nycsc #ows
16:33 pm
The Occupiers have a POI: "A lot of things brought up tonight have to do with whether an individual has a place to stay. I'm one…" #nycsc
16:34 pm
Cont'd: "…of the major metrocard givers; quickly becoming known for that. I'll be going to Park Slope tonight." #nycsc #ows
16:35 pm
Huh - someone called the Police, and they're here, and we don't know who it was. Hmm. We're continuing while others deal with it. #nycsc
16:36 pm
Occupier continues: "I'm going to Park Slope tonight, and a lot of ppl have been worried about where the individual is going - what about.."
16:40 pm
(The delayed airing of #NYCSC is wrapping back around onto @LibertySqGA now, having rounded the bases, or something). #nycsc #ows
16:41 pm
Cont'd: "…ppl like me? Where am I going? We need to make sure this passes, at least for tonight, because I'm concerned for my safety."
16:41 pm
Nicole returns to the process: "Does that answer your block, PoCC?" She's referring to Jeff's response. No, they say, it holds. #nycsc #ows
16:42 pm
PR blocks "because we don't like the idea of this applying to future cases. That's my FA. And also, re: kitchen's issue, we shouldn't.."
16:42 pm
Cont'd: "…reject food for anyone in any way." Jeff notes it's just for this individual; "we're not trying to apply this beyond" that. #nycsc
16:42 pm
Jeff also notes he accepted Kitchen's amendment to be exempted from denying him food in public spaces. #nycsc #ows
16:42 pm
Jeff: "If we're inside of Spokes, he won't be allowed in to get food. But in public…" OK, Press withdraws block. #nycsc #ows
16:43 pm
Media: "We're reluctantly blocking, b/c we feel like this is an emergency proposal, but nt yielding emergency solution. It's a…" #nycsc #ows
16:43 pm
Cont'd: "…permanent ban until Safer Spaces is passed; ideally, it'll be soon, but we don't know when it will be." #nycsc #ows
16:44 pm
Jeff: "It's not a permanent ban; it's until Safer Spaces' proposal is approved," and notes that we agreed to make effort to put it 1st Weds.
16:45 pm
Blocker from Media continues, notes "we also are concerned he's not here to defend himself." "We want this to have more forethought…"
16:45 pm
Cont'd: "…with giving him an opportunity to speak for himself, at GA tomorrow night or Spokes in 2 nights." #nycsc #ows
16:45 pm
Jeff doesn't accept the friendly amendment. "I'm not against Will having a voice, but I'd like to wait for a well-thought-out.." #nycsc
16:46 pm
Cont'd: "…proposal" to establish a process. "If we do it at GA tomorrow night, still no process. Same emergency." #nycsc #ows
16:46 pm
Nicole: "Because this is about Safer Spaces, I'm going to take this PoI from Safer Spaces." Safer Spaces' spoke steps up. #nycsc #ows
16:47 pm
Safer Spaces restates that "the community agreement does not address what this process should be, just that there should be one."
16:47 pm
Cont'd: "…and our friendly amendment to the proposal was that we'd volunteer to reach out to those harmed to determine acctability process."
16:49 pm
Cont'd: "It's not part of the community agreement; it's not something we'll develop on our own or in a week." #nycsc #ows
16:49 pm
Nicole asks Media: "Does that info, in any way, have you thinking differently about the block or are you holding it?" Media holds. #nycsc
16:50 pm
Nan wanted to block, but she's not here. Trish notes she went to the hospital? [Huh? -Ed.] She gave someone her spoke sign tho.. #nycsc #ows
16:51 pm
SWRWG: "This individual, tho Nan is a friend of his, sent Nan to the hospital, so there is no block." Trish objects: "Wait…" #nycsc #ows
16:51 pm
Trish's objection is because he didn't talk to his working group. It's 11:22; SWRWG will discuss outside of the room. #nycsc #ows
16:51 pm
Nicole: "Right now, Strong Women Rules working group is discussing" -- they return, couldn't consense, will stand aside. #nycsc #ows
16:51 pm
Nicole: "We have 2 standasides, and 2 blocks. So how many Spokes are here right now?" Counting spokes to prep for modified consensus. #nycsc
16:51 pm
Nicole counts the total number of Spokes. There are 23 working groups represented here. "We had 2 standasides, so that's 21." #nycsc
16:52 pm
Cont'd: "…& we had 2 blocks." So now we're moving to modified consensus. "Check in w/ yr grp, figure out if you support the proposal."#nycsc
16:52 pm
Spokes are conferring. It sounds like Media may be preparing to change to stand-aside… #nycsc #ows
16:53 pm
(I'm told that Nan was who called the police; she said she got hit by a chair. She got in an ambulance; police told her not to cry wolf.)
16:53 pm
(And no, no one seems to know what that whole thing w/ Nan is about.) #nycsc #ows
16:54 pm
Here we go. Nicole: "We're doing modified consensus, which means a total of those supporting and those against." No standasides. #nycsc #ows
16:55 pm
Jason: "Standasides can abstain. We'll count yes, and no, and compare those 2 numbers." First, How many nos? "I only see 1." #nycsc #ows
16:56 pm
Next, counting those in favor. Jason: "1…2…3…4…5…6…7…8…9…10…11…12…13…14…15…16…17…18. The proposal passes." #nycsc #ows
16:57 pm
Many start to celebrate, but Jeff interrupts: "Wait. A statement. I take no joy from this." Many resume celebrating. #nycsc #ows
16:57 pm
Jason and Nicole ask folks to let them "acknowledge what happened this meeting." #nycsc #ows
16:57 pm
Nicole: "I want us to be on the same page: we discussed some tricky, urgent issues that need time to be tested, and we need to believe…"
16:57 pm
Cont'd: "…in this process and what we're doing here. So that took 4 hours; it's fine. That's what had to, needed to happen. And hopefully.."
16:57 pm
Cont'd: "…we have a consensus we can all agree on." #nycsc #ows
16:58 pm
OK, folks! That's it! Thanks for following this weird delayed broadcast of last night's #NYCSC! It's a long process, but we definitely…
16:59 pm
…succeeded in unpacking nearly every important angle and coming to vast agreement on something that has many implications. #nycsc #ows
16:59 pm
Thanks again; see you tonite for #NYCGA tweets starting 7pm(ish). [Questions, comments, concerns, hit me up: @diceytroop. -Ed.] #nycsc #ows
19:40 pm
Hi ya'll! Welcome to another GA. We've been underway for a few minutes now (train delays) but catching up! #nycga #ows
19:41 pm
We're currently in break out groups discussing our first emergency proposal from Direct Action. #nycga #ows
19:42 pm
The proposal is on actions on Bungi (sp) on behalf of #OccupyOakland #nycga #ows
19:43 pm
DirAction: The action is to generate awareness on that corporation and how they affect west coast long shoreman unions. #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
Stairs: Stack is open for concerns and FAs. #nycga #ows
19:45 pm
Stairs: Stack is now closed. One friendly amendment. #nycga #ows
19:46 pm
Proposal restated: Global & Beyond leader action. They are involved in the slave market. They also monopolize the food system #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
Stairs: How does everyone feel? (Uptwinkles). Standasides? (1). Blocks? (None). Consensus reached! #nycga #ows
19:48 pm
QuickAnnouncement: Bungi wants to unload a ship but not thru the union. We ask u keep up on this issue. #nycga #ows
19:49 pm
EmergencyProposal: This is in response to the GA cutting off funding & housing. #nycga #ows
19:50 pm
EmergencyProposal: We would like you to discuss for ten minutes this proposal. #nycga #ows
19:51 pm
EmergencyProposal: We ask you help them w/ food stamps, housing, etc. For months we've made them dependent on us. #nycga #ows
19:52 pm
EmergencyProposal: So what about creating workshops to help build their resumes? We just ask for your help. #nycga #ows
19:53 pm
Stairs: So lets take a temp check on breaking out into groups & discussing (uptwinkles). Go, lets break out. #nycga #ows
20:05 pm
Stairs: ok, it's been 10 minutes. How does everyone feel about adding 5 more min? (Ambivalent Uptwinkles) Ok. 3 more min #nycga #ows
20:09 pm
Stairs: ok. Everyone come back and give a 2 min report back. #nycga #ows
20:10 pm
ReportBack: our idea was to kick this to the radical social workers & tag team w/ individuals who need support. #nycga #ows
20:11 pm
ReportBack: and also create a defacto group to have a quick transition to help. #nycga #ows
20:12 pm
ReportBack2: There were a variety of opinions here. We were discussing alternative occupations who have open spaces ... #nycga #ows
20:13 pm
ReportBack2: like occupy new haven who has 100 or so spaces open. #nycga #ows
20:13 pm
PoI: the proposers suggest we come back tuesday to further discuss this issue. #nycga #ows
20:15 pm
Stack: We think it's important that those who feel displaced not do anything violent. #nycga #ows
20:15 pm
Stack: I do not know how many of u were watching the livestream last night. But there was an incident that could have.. #nycga #ows
20:16 pm
Stack:..been prevented. I found last nights event disturbing bc i ended up in the hospital last night. #nycga #ows
20:17 pm
Stack: that aside, we have a spokes council where working groups can get things done. #nycga #ows
20:18 pm
Stack: unfortunately, that has happened. So, how can the GA create a way to deal with broader issues. #nycga #ows
20:19 pm
Stack: the spokes council is creating a divisive environment. #nycga #ows
20:24 pm
Stairs: ok so lets take 10 min to discuss how to strengthen the GA. Uptwinkles? (Consensus not reached) #nycga #ows
20:24 pm
Stairs: ok, moving onto announcements. #nycga #ows
20:25 pm
Sean: About 1/2 the WGs want Nan removed. We havent defines disruptor, but Nan has broken principles of solidarity. #nycga #ows
20:25 pm
Stairs: Ok. That was kimd of personal. Please keep announcements to facts or actions. #nycga #ows
20:26 pm
Stack: Tomorrow at Charlottes place we'll have a workshop on using nycga.net. #nycga #ows
20:27 pm
Announcement from Minutes: We do need more ppl. Please visit us at nycga.net and contact us if ur interested. #nycga #ows
20:28 pm
Announcement: Sat noon-4 there is a march in solidarity with egypt. We meet in front of the UN building. #nycga #ows
20:29 pm
Announcement: this monday from 2-4, we have a direct action seminar. Location to be disclosed. Please join us. #nycga #ows
20:31 pm
Announcement: im from LA and my website is occupy.freedomla.org. We love u guys & everyone watches u. Thx for the warm welcome. #nycga #ows
20:32 pm
Announcement:There are ppl in this mvmnt who stand on moral ground & would never withhold food or shelter. #nycga #ows
20:33 pm
Announcement: im from occupy burlington. Ive heard from WashingtonDC that theres an action Mar. 30th there #nycga #ows
20:34 pm
Announcement: it seems like a rumor, but it might be in the works. Find out! #nycga #ows
20:35 pm
Announcemt: occupy the courts is tomorrow at 5pm beginning here. Join us for this natl day of action! #nycga #ows
20:36 pm
Stairs: Ok, thats it for tonight. Thanks for bearing the cold and get warm! Thanks all! #nycga #ows
20:36 pm
Thats it for tonight! Thanks again for staying with us! Rest well, all.