09:13 am
@lmnopie That would be awesome! <3
15:37 pm
Hi everyone. Tonight's Spokes Council will be held at Brecht Forum http://t.co/A1xRg1dj See u there!
19:20 pm
Hi ya'll. We're here at another Spokes Council located at 451 West St http://t.co/A1xRg1dj We begin soon! #ows #nycsc
19:43 pm
Nick will be taking stack and Jason will be on time. #ows #nycsc
19:43 pm
And welcome to Christina and Leana to their first Spokes Council! #ows #nycsc
19:44 pm
Facilitation is now reviewing how Spokes Council works. #ows #nycsc
19:46 pm
Stairs: We use consensus to arrive at decisions, but lately consensus has become vague. Let's remember why we are all here. #ows #nycsc
19:47 pm
Stairs: Tech has a four part proposal. It's lengthy, but awesome. Stop Stop & Frisk also has a proposal as does the MLK group #ows #nycsc
19:47 pm
Stairs: We're going to start with TechOps, SSF Buttons, Safer spaces, then MLK. #ows #nycsc
19:49 pm
Stairs: Because we have four important proposals, we're going to allot 40 minutes for each proposal. #ows #nycsc
19:49 pm
(oh yes, if the tweets stop flowing, click over to @LibertySqGA2 through 4!) #ows #nycsc
19:50 pm
TechOps: Hi everyone, I'm Jake from techops. This proposal isn't about "please give us money." #ows #nycsc
19:50 pm
TechOps: Rather, it is "this is some cool stuff, do you want us to build/use it?" #ows #nycsc
19:51 pm
TechOps: So we're going to begin with the occupy's state of tech. #ows #nycsc
19:52 pm
TechOps: one of the projects we've had alot of success with is nycga's voice services. #ows #nycsc
19:52 pm
TechOps: I know alot of you guys are familiar with 855-nycga-411 bc many of you have used it. it allows for instant up-to-date info #nycsc
19:53 pm
TechOps: We had it running for free through an arrangement with the service provider. But now we must pay for it. #ows #nycsc
19:54 pm
TechOps: A few of our payment options are $1500 for 25000 min @ 6cents/min #ows #nycsc
19:54 pm
TechOps: The other is $2500 for 50,000 min @ 5cents/minute #ows #nycsc
19:54 pm
TechOps: At this time, we'd like to open stack for clarifying questions. #ows #nycsc
19:55 pm
Stairs: Clarifying questions are questions that will help you understand something that wasnt made clear. #ows #nycsc
19:55 pm
Stairs: Let's break out into groups for about 3 minutes. #ows #nycsc
20:02 pm
If you'd like to view the TechOps presentation, click along here! http://t.co/yE1wHLRj #ows #nycsc
20:04 pm
CQ: Some occupiers are in jail. Are there options to help those in jail? TechOps: Yes, announcements can be recorded #ows #nycsc
20:05 pm
TechOps: ..and announcements are posted on http://t.co/OzXDORvv. It's pretty cool. #ows #nycsc
20:05 pm
CQ: I was wondering if accounting can give us an idea how much money is in the coffin. #ows #nycsc
20:05 pm
Accounting: We're looking at $190,000. #ows #nycsc
20:06 pm
Stairs: Are there are any more stack for concerns? #ows #nycsc
20:08 pm
Stairs: I think it's unlikely, given there are only 2 options, that there will be FriendlyAmendments, but please discuss. #ows #nycsc
20:08 pm
Stairs: Also please raise your hand if you want to discuss one option. #ows #nycsc
20:08 pm
(again, you can view TechOps' prezi here http://t.co/yE1wHLRj) #ows #nycsc
20:10 pm
Stack: I think we should choose the lesser one given our financial circumstances. #ows #nycsc
20:11 pm
CQ: Is this TechOps' #1 priority? TechOps: We'd like to ask you if this is your priority. It's for you. #ows #nycsc
20:11 pm
CQ: Are we deciding on one over the other right now? #ows #nycsc
20:11 pm
Stairs: I don't think we're going to get thru everything today, but i think it'll be good if we get thru a couple #ows #nycsc
20:12 pm
CQ: for people w/o computers, how will this number be promoted? TechOps: We have flyers & business cards. Word of mouth too. #ows #nycsc
20:13 pm
Stairs: Stack is now closed. Let's take a temperature check. #ows #nycsc
20:13 pm
Stairs: Let's come to consensus on whether we should do any option. And if we do, then we'll decide on one. #ows #nycsc
20:14 pm
CQ: So ppl who cannot hear or speak, can they use the service? TechOps: Thru a relay, yes but not directly thru a phone. #ows #nycsc
20:15 pm
Stairs: Ok, so let's come to consensus on whether we should use one of these two voice options. (consensus reached) #ows #nycsc
20:16 pm
Stairs: Are there any friendly amendments (FAs)? (none) Standasides? (none). #ows #nycsc
20:16 pm
Stairs: Spokes, raise your hand if you have a block (none) #ows #nycsc
20:16 pm
Stairs: Spokes, raise your sign if you want the lower minute sign #ows #nycsc
20:17 pm
(many spokes raise their signs for less expensive plan) #ows #nycsc
20:17 pm
Stairs: Spokes, raise your hand if you want the expensive plan. (only a couple raise hand) #ows #nycsc
20:17 pm
Stairs: Ok. The less expensive plan has it. #ows #nycsc
20:17 pm
(moving on to TechOps proposal 2) #ows #nycsc
20:18 pm
TechOps: Ok. Let's talk about http://t.co/OzXDORvv. It's used very heavily with 2.5M visits and 8K members #ows #nycsc
20:18 pm
TechOps: One techops member began personally paying to support http://t.co/OzXDORvv. We are wondering if ows can reimburse them #ows #nycsc
20:19 pm
Stairs: Let's get into breakout groups #ows #nycsc
20:19 pm
(the TechOps proposal can be viewed here http://t.co/yE1wHLRj) #ows #nycsc
20:20 pm
(TechOps is asking for OWS to reimburse the individual $1216.77 for personally hosting http://t.co/OzXDORvv) #ows #nycsc
20:21 pm
Stairs: Ok. We're going to take stack for Clarifying Questions. #ows #nycsc
20:21 pm
CQ: Yeah, do you guys have documentation? TechOps: Yes, we have all receipts. #ows #nycsc
20:21 pm
CQ: What's the individual's name? TechOps: Sure. Tom Gillis. #ows #nycsc
20:21 pm
Stairs: Ok. Let's open stack for concerns. #ows #nycsc
20:23 pm
Concern: Do we have to do the reimbursement now? Can we wait till we get more money in the coffin? What's our timeline? #ows #nycsc
20:23 pm
TechOps: It doesnt seem money is coming in and we'd like to relieve the burden off of Tom. #ows #nycsc
20:24 pm
TechOps: Also, there was a plan to reimburse Tom before the raid, but b/c of everything, we put the decision off. #ows #nycsc
20:25 pm
Stairs: Raise your hand if you need to confer w/ your group before FAs (none). Great. Stack for FA's now open. #ows #nycsc
20:26 pm
Stairs: Raise your sign if you have any standasides (none). Raise if you have any blocks (none). #ows #nycsc
20:26 pm
Stairs: Great. Consensus! #ows #nycsc
20:27 pm
Stairs: Ok. We're now going to move to another WG. If we have time, we'll return to TechOps last 2 proposals #ows #nycsc
20:27 pm
TechOps: Thank you for your time. #ows #nycsc
20:28 pm
Stairs: Next on the agenda is from Stop, Stop and Frisk & their button proposal. #ows #nycsc
20:28 pm
SSF: There are 5 & 6 of us living in a room following cops in Harlem. We havent asked from any funds from the GA #ows #nycsc
20:29 pm
SSF: We're asking for $728/wk for the next 3 weeks. #ows #nycsc
20:29 pm
SSF: We're trying to develop a community where people call out police who perform Stop and Frisks. #ows #nycsc
20:30 pm
SSF: The buttons are incredibly invaluable and needed. #ows #nycsc
20:30 pm
Stairs: We're going to take 3 minutes to talk to your group about the proposal. #ows #nycsc
20:34 pm
PoI: We can do 1000 buttons for $200. We may have a better deal. #ows #nycsc
20:34 pm
Stairs: SSF, did you select one of those options? #ows #nycsc
20:34 pm
Stairs: Ok, so the proposal now is 3,000 buttons for $600 #ows #nycsc
20:34 pm
Stairs: Stack is now open for clarifying questions. #ows #nycsc
20:35 pm
CQ: Do you have any events coming up that require buttons? SSF: Yes, we have one with Chris Hedges, MLK, and court tomorrow #ows #nycsc
20:36 pm
CQ: Is it just SSF or another working group. SSF: Just us. #ows #nycsc
20:36 pm
CQ: Are you asking for a weekly amount? Yes, it's $690 for 3 weeks for 9,000 buttons. #ows #nycsc
20:36 pm
SSF: I know it sounds like alot of buttons, but it's necessary. #ows #nycsc
20:37 pm
CQ: Do u have any fundraising mechanism? SSF: Yes, we've been using outreach mechanisms, but it feels good to hand them out. #ows #nycsc
20:38 pm
CQ: Can we have a breakdown for weekly expenses? Is it all for buttons? #ows #nycsc
20:38 pm
Stairs: That sounds like an FA. let's wait for that. #ows #nycsc
20:39 pm
SSF: We put out a call to Cornel West & other organizations. We're glad to be providing buttons to everybody. #ows #nycsc
20:39 pm
CQ: Can u give us more clarity on what the buttons are for? #ows #nycsc
20:40 pm
SSF: If you see someone with a button, it's empowering. The button is symbolic for kids being frisked for no reason. #ows #nycsc
20:40 pm
SSF: The NYPD has a badge. Now the kids have a badge. #ows #nycsc
20:41 pm
CQ: Can they get this money from the $100/day allocation? #ows #nycsc
20:41 pm
PoI Accounting: Yes, but then they'd have to come back everyday. It's good they're coming to Spokes. #ows #nycsc
20:42 pm
CQ: How many buttons will you be going through per week? SSF: About 3,000. CQ: Really? SSF: Yes, absolutely. #ows #nycsc
20:43 pm
CQ: And do you affiliate with OWS when you hand out the buttons? SSF: Yes, I identify myself as an OWS working group member. #ows #nycsc
20:44 pm
Stairs: Ok. Raise your hand if you need time to confer (some hands are raised). Ok. you have one minute. #ows #nycsc
20:47 pm
Stairs: Can I have stack on concerns. #ows #nycsc
20:47 pm
Concerns: I'd like to add a FA. Please suggest, if they can afford to, provide a donation. #ows #nycsc
20:48 pm
Concerns: We were wondering if you can hand out some buttons here. SSF: Absolutely. #ows #nycsc
20:48 pm
Concern: We were wondering about the size. SSF: We like them to be visible. Yesterday, I witnessed two 60 year old women..#ows #nycsc
20:49 pm
SSF:..being arrested and we wore them while filming. We like them Reese Pieces size, not M&M's. #ows #nycsc
20:50 pm
Concern: Can you add "ows" on there? SSF: I do tell people we're part of OWS when i hand them out so im not sure if thats needed #ows #nycsc
20:50 pm
Stairs: Can you restate your FA? Yes, we ask if people can donate -- if they can. #ows #nycsc
20:51 pm
SSF: Yes, we'll do that and we have been doing that when we hand them out. #ows #nycsc
20:52 pm
Concern: We've heard that SSF has connections to the (inaudible) Communist party (RCP) & dont want this to turn into.. #ows #nycsc
20:52 pm
Concern: .. a recruiting effort for the RCP. #ows #nycsc
20:52 pm
SSF: Yes, that's a valid concern. We're doing our own thing. RCP is not part of our ideological agenda nor are they calling the shots #nycsc
20:53 pm
Concern: Can I make an FA for a tiny url on the button for http://t.co/OzXDORvv? SSF: We've been discussing maybe putting it ... #ows #nycsc
20:54 pm
SSF: .. on the back. Stairs: So do u accept the FA? SSF: Yes, we accept the FA. #ows #nycsc
20:54 pm
Stairs: Final call for concerns (none). Ok. Stack for Friendly amendments is now open. #ows #nycsc
20:54 pm
FA: Let's add the number we just voted on. SSF: We accept that FA. #ows #nycsc
20:55 pm
FA: Do u have OWS literature, but would you like some of ours? SSF: Yes, we'd love some more. #ows #nycsc
20:56 pm
Stairs: Raise your hand if you need to convene with your group (none). #ows #nycsc
20:57 pm
SSF: Restating proposal. We're looking to raise money for buttons and http://t.co/OzXDORvv & voice number on back of buttons #ows #nycsc
20:59 pm
Stairs: Ok, let's go to consensus. Are there any standasides (none). Any blocks? (one) #ows #nycsc
21:00 pm
Block: We're uncomfortable for the $3,000 and would like to propose an FA. How about $690 for 1 wk? #ows #nycsc
21:00 pm
SSF: I just feel like we're going to go thru this process again & it will be successful yet again. #ows #nycsc
21:01 pm
Legal (block): I feel like it's alot of money for buttons. #ows #nycsc
21:01 pm
SSF: That's why we're asking for 3 weeks and not for anything long term. #ows #nycsc
21:01 pm
FA: What about having a button maker to conserve money. #ows #nycsc
21:02 pm
SSF: I love that idea. Yes. We'll accept that FA. #ows #nycsc
21:02 pm
Stairs: So you're not being asked to change your proposal, but to follow this avenue. #ows #nycsc
21:03 pm
PoI: OWS has already purchased a button maker. Is it necessary to buy another? #ows #nycsc
21:03 pm
(laughter) Stairs: Let's forget about the button maker. Legal and PoC have a concern. Lets return to the issue. #ows #nycsc
21:04 pm
Stairs: We're going to open up stack to resolve conflict. #ows #nycsc
21:04 pm
Stairs: Raise your hand if your group needs to confer. #ows #nycsc
21:05 pm
Stairs: We have gotten into a habit of going to modified consensus. Right now there is a concern that has not been resolved. #ows #nycsc
21:06 pm
Stairs: Let's try to resolve this concern before going to modified consensus. #ows #nycsc
21:09 pm
Concern: I'm glad you guys are doing this. So we offer as a FA 2 weeks for money, do research, then return for 3 or more weeks #ows #nycsc
21:10 pm
SSF: That's what we were going to say (laughter) Stairs: I'm glad everyone is happy (more laughter) #ows #nycsc
21:10 pm
FA: Can you put OWS somewhere on the button for some cross pollination? SSF: The button represents something that's independent #ows #nycsc
21:11 pm
SSF: This isn't outreach, but direct action. This is how we show love. We'll have the voice # & the url on the back #ows #nycsc
21:11 pm
SSF: This button should be about the wearer and not the the movement. On the front, only SSF. On the back, OWS #ows #nycsc
21:12 pm
Stairs: Raise your hand if you have a standaside #ows #nycsc
21:13 pm
Stairs: 6,000 buttons. $2800 for 2 weeks. Ows url/# on back. SSF on front. Soliciting donations & try to get a button maker #ows #nycsc
21:14 pm
Stairs: So raise your sign for a standaside (none). Raise for block (none). Ok great! Consensus! #ows #nycsc
21:15 pm
SaferSpaces: We've been working on community agreements. We've written this based on research from other mvmnts #ows #nycsc
21:16 pm
SafeSpace: Our community agreement looks at accountability, pro justice & recognize we live in an oppressive society. #ows #nycsc
21:16 pm
SafeSpace: We are not here to replicate a criminal justice system. We also want to empower people who have experienced harm #ows #nycsc
21:16 pm
SafeSpace: By giving them mental & emotional resources. We want to have a discussion on education. This is a living doc #ows #nycsc
21:17 pm
SafeSpace: It's one piece of the puzzle. it's very basic but begins the process and is relevant to SpokesCouncil in this space #ows #nycsc
21:18 pm
Stairs: Breakout groups please. #ows #nycsc
21:19 pm
This is the Safer Spaces document currently being presented at the Spokes Council. http://t.co/FVOa3hfC #ows #nycsc
21:26 pm
Stairs: I know some people are still talking, but we're probably only going to be able to give feedback to SaferSpaces. #ows #nycsc
21:26 pm
Stairs: Can I get stack for clarifying questions please? #ows #nycsc
21:27 pm
CQ: We're wondering why we're not going to consensus right now? #ows #nycsc
21:27 pm
SaferSpaces: We're making a political decision b/c it's too much to ask. We want ppl to absorb this information. #ows #nycsc
21:28 pm
CQ: We're not clear what would precipitate the escalation process.. who makes that decision? whats the criteria? #ows #nycsc
21:28 pm
SaferSpaces: We got as far as each working body would create a set of meeting agreements. It's not in here. #ows #nycsc
21:29 pm
CQ: Who does it fall upon? The facilitators? The spokes? SaferSpaces: It's on the back. So, any1 can identify that #ows #nycsc
21:29 pm
SaferSpaces: The next step is addressing the issue once it's been identified. #ows #nycsc
21:30 pm
CQ: I feel that this will inevitably fall on the facilitator to get the de escalation process rolling. #ows #nycsc
21:30 pm
Stairs: I feel like we're moving onto concerns, which isnt a big problem. But let's take a minute. Raise ur hand if you..#ows #nycsc
21:31 pm
Stairs: if you need to talk to your group #ows #nycsc
21:31 pm
Concern: I think it should be left up to Spoke, rather than opening it up to the entire group. #ows #nycsc
21:32 pm
Concern: Apparently, it's opened to Spoke, then go to GA. Ideally, it should not be a living doc. Could it be an edition #ows #nycsc
21:32 pm
Concern: or version first before we adopt it? Also, what about empowering the group? That's not in here. #ows #nycsc
21:33 pm
Concern: Also, "remove yourself if requested, substances, and police attraction." Much of the language seems vague #ows #nycsc
21:33 pm
Concern: Also, please strike the language that discusses privilege. #ows #nycsc
21:34 pm
Concern: I figure you can just mull it over. You dont have to respond directly. #ows #nycsc
21:34 pm
SaferSpaces: Thank you for voicing those. #ows #nycsc
21:35 pm
Concern: I also have a problem on defining what a privilege is. You should ask everyone what a privilege is. #ows #nycsc
21:35 pm
Concern: We believe this document needs to be more clear on the deescalation process. #ows #nycsc
21:36 pm
Concern: Can we add "we do not want to invoke verbal violence?" Also, ambulance wont be called, unless they want it to be called #ows #nycsc
21:36 pm
Concern: It just seems vague. Can you please clarify that? #ows #nycsc
21:37 pm
Concern: B/c what if they're unconscious. We feel that language is too vague as well. #ows #nycsc
21:38 pm
SaferSpaces: I'll respond to some of the recurring concerns. #ows #nycsc
21:39 pm
SaferSpaces: So i'll begin by addressing the concerns on privilege. I probably wont be able to provide a satisfactory answer #ows #nycsc
21:39 pm
SaferSpaces: Originally, it was based on societal privileges. And speaking as a white male, it seems my voice is perceived as ..#ows #nycsc
21:40 pm
SaferSpaces:..as more legitimate. And we've observed this in society & in this space as well. So we need to call this out. #ows #nycsc
21:40 pm
SaferSpaces: Also, the privilege list is not exclusive. #ows #nycsc
21:41 pm
Concern: Can you also include linguistical access. Because many deaf people have come to mtg but leave frustrated #ows #nycsc
21:43 pm
Concern: We understand about the code of conduct. To be honest, the only thing we have to go on is act in a way that harms the commnity
21:43 pm
Concern: which is unbelievably vague. So who is going to do it? #ows #nycsc
21:44 pm
SaferSpaces: The reason we wanted that separated is bc we want it to be applied to every space, not just meeting spaces. #ows #nycsc
21:44 pm
SaferSpaces: We want each space to have their own meeting agreements. #ows #nycsc
21:44 pm
Concern: I'm still not clear on meeting agreements vs. code of conduct. #ows #nycsc
21:46 pm
Concern: I think i get the last paragraph on disruption. And there are those who have been "labeled." But people are eccentric #ows #nycsc
21:47 pm
Concern: This is an eccentric movement. The concern is that we hope this isnt a move to exclude certain ppl b/c of their opinion #ows #nycsc
21:47 pm
Concern: We want to make sure no one gets kicked out b/c of things they've done in the past. #ows #nycsc
21:48 pm
Concern: B/c we came real close to fizzling out and excluding people. So let's be thankful for our progressive ideas #ows #nycsc
21:48 pm
Stairs: The hand signals while ppl are talking is really distracting. Please just avoid them. Let ppl talk. #ows #nycsc
21:49 pm
SaferSpaces: We purposefully didnt include the word disruptor b/c it's a loaded term. We also value being inclusive & work thru..#ows #nycsc
21:49 pm
SaferSpaces:..conflict. #ows #nycsc
21:50 pm
Legal: There is a sentence, 'we make no assumptions on race.' I think we should abolish/reword that sentence. #ows #nycsc
21:50 pm
SaferSpaces: I think it's just a wordy sentence. The idea is we make no assumptions on someone's identity including those things #ows #nycsc
21:51 pm
Concern: I believe the discussion on privilege generates a larger conversation. I dont we can strike that paragraph b/c ..#ows #nycsc
21:51 pm
Concern: structural agreements exist in this society & in this movement. I think we should keep the paragraph b/c if we dont..#ows #nycsc
21:52 pm
Concern:.. it's like we're ignoring it. #ows #nycsc
21:53 pm
Concern: It wasn't translated in Spanish. We just want it to be translated in the future. #ows #nycsc
21:54 pm
SaferSpaces: This is also posted on http://t.co/JH6L91qC (here it is http://t.co/FVOa3hfC) #ows #nycsc
21:54 pm
Stairs: Ok. So read it and we'll come back at a later date to deliberate. Let's move on to the MLK proposal. #ows #nycsc
21:55 pm
MLK: On Jan 15th, in the spirit of Dr. MLK, vigils are being organized throughout the world. #ows #nycsc
21:55 pm
MLK: We need your help to turn this moment even larger. We're teaming up with many movements all over the world. #ows #nycsc
21:56 pm
MLK: Riverside church is requesting $6,000 for tech & security. Candlelight costs are $2,000. The total is $8,000 #ows #nycsc
21:56 pm
MLK: There are alot of groups working on this. The $6k is for security, tech, & clean up @ the church. #ows #nycsc
21:58 pm
MLK: The other $2K is for candles that are expensive, but strong. These events are happening all over the world. #ows #nycsc
21:58 pm
MLK: There's going to be alot of video. Video that represents MLK's spirit and our spirit. It will be an everlasting image. #ows #nycsc
21:59 pm
Stairs: So its $6K for the tech & security and $2K for the candles. #ows #nycsc
21:59 pm
Stairs: Ok. Breakout groups. #ows #nycsc
22:07 pm
CQ: Who are Brooklyn Democrats for Change & why should we care? #ows #nycsc
22:08 pm
MLK: Good question. Not exactly sure, but there's a lot of push behind it. The GA has already approved the event, just not funds #ows #nycsc
22:09 pm
CQ: Do u have a precise breakdown of the $6K? WG: Yes. The church provided those figures. They include in-house tech & security. #ows #nycsc
22:10 pm
WG: And the clean up crews. The Riverside church will help us garner publicity & may even help us bring in donations #ows #nycsc
22:11 pm
CQ: Can we provide our own volunteers? WG: Valid question, but i cant imagine Riverside relying on us. #ows #nycsc
22:12 pm
CQ: Can any outside groups contribute anything? It just seems like a very expensive proposal. #ows #nycsc
22:13 pm
WG: MLK day is Sunday. We're in our last hour. We cant ask all those ppl to come on board if we dont have the church booked. #ows #nycsc
22:14 pm
CQ: Our concern is whether or not you committed to this. And if it doesnt happen right now, what happens? #ows #nycsc
22:14 pm
WG: We'll have to find an alternative space. The most unfortunate part is that it started as a proposal by somebody else. #ows #nycsc
22:15 pm
CQ: What's going to actually happen on that day? Who is performing? WG: I know Steve Earl will be. But we cant ask ppl to commit #ows #nycsc
22:15 pm
WG: .. if we dont know whether or not it will pass. It's like a catch 22. CQ: What else will happen at the event ?#ows #nycsc
22:15 pm
CQ: We have speakers lined up, including MLK's nephew. #ows #nycsc
22:16 pm
CQ: The $8K is the entire budget, correct? WG: There have been volunteer contributions and $2k donated #ows #nycsc
22:17 pm
CQ: Has the Brooklyn Group for Change contributed anything? WG: We're still seeking funds from groups but we're at a point where #ows #nycsc
22:17 pm
WG: .. we'd like ows to support us on this event. We feel it's crucial and important and believe it will be good publicity #ows #nycsc
22:18 pm
WG: OccupyTheHood is also supporting this as well. #ows #nycsc
22:19 pm
Concern: Is it posible to allow them to let us supply our own tech (from techops)? also, what PR and marketing is being done? #ows #nycsc
22:20 pm
WG: PR is working hard on this as is the press WG. I've also been reaching out to #occupynewark GA's #ows #nycsc
22:20 pm
WG: On techops, that's still going on. But, generally, they're line is this is how it is & how its going to be. #ows #nycsc
22:22 pm
Concern: I was wondering if there's an MLK group working with Riverside. And, will that group help recover some of the funds? #ows #nycsc
22:22 pm
Concern: What can that group do to return some of the money? It's a mega church. Can they reach out to their allies? #ows #nycsc
22:23 pm
WG: The fact they're giving this to us is a big thing. For us to ask that would probably be after the event. #ows #nycsc
22:24 pm
Stairs: We've wandered into FA's which is fine. But lets also try to get the concerns out there. #ows #nycsc
22:26 pm
Concern: There's also another MLK event by other OWS groups. Have these WGs been consulted? #ows #nycsc
22:27 pm
Concern: So we're worried about dividing our efforts. Are we spreading ourselves thin here? #ows #nycsc
22:27 pm
WG: We've tried to run concurrent events. We want this to be a 2 day event. Not just with PoC but with other occupations. #ows #nycsc
22:28 pm
WG: Also, MLK's speech at Riverside is something we should all Google or YouTube. #ows #nycsc
22:28 pm
WG: And we see the vigil as lighting the way for other events -- they're all connected. #ows #nycsc
22:29 pm
Concern: We feel this activity was approved by the GA & this discussion belongs in the GA, not the SC. #ows #nycsc
22:29 pm
Concern: Also, it seems like a large amount of money. WG: We were supposed to bring it back to the Sat/Sun GA. #ows #nycsc
22:30 pm
WG: So, i'm picking up the slack by bringing it here tonight b/c this is really the 11th hour #ows #nycsc
22:30 pm
Stairs: We have 30 seconds left. Please keep your concerns/FAs concise. #ows #nycsc
22:31 pm
Concern: I can help you raise money to help you offset some of the cost. In doing that, I can confer w/ the group. #ows #nycsc
22:31 pm
WG: That would be fantastic. #ows #nycsc
22:32 pm
Concern: is it absolutely necessary to have an indoor component? and that we're aligning with any political party.. #ows #nycsc
22:33 pm
WG: We're not aligning w/ a political party, just with MLK's vision. #ows #nycsc
22:34 pm
Stairs: So you're not committing to accepting donations? WG: No, we are. Stairs: So there are unresolved concerns but..
22:35 pm
Stairs:.. this is time sensitive. So, let's do a temp check for going to consensus now before taking any more stack. #ows #nycsc
22:35 pm
Stairs: So, it is possible to take no Friendly Amendments. It's not a breach of process & some can say they're not ready ..#ows #nycsc
22:36 pm
Stairs:..to reach consensus. (after some deliberation). Ok, lets continue for 10 more min. #ows #nycsc
22:36 pm
Stairs: Raise your hand if u need to confer with your group. #ows #nycsc
22:40 pm
FA: Lets not have any OWS protest signs at the vigil. Stairs: Please restate. FA: No signs, you're holding a candle #ows #nycsc
22:40 pm
WG: Accepted. #ows #nycsc
22:40 pm
FA: Can u seek donations? WG: Yes. #ows #nycsc
22:41 pm
FA: Can you just say $2k on candles and anything not spent, please return it. #ows #nycsc
22:41 pm
WG: Yes. #ows #nycsc
22:41 pm
Concern: If it was brought to the GA, how come it wasn't on there 24 hrs before? This is something that really belongs in GA #ows #nycsc
22:42 pm
Concern: And that we're undermining how Spokes Council operates. #ows #nycsc
22:42 pm
WG: The 1st time the GA approved this event was several weeks ago & it was on the site. #ows #nycsc
22:43 pm
WG: On Sat/Sun, it was going to be brought up as an emergency proposal but that never happened. #ows #nycsc
22:44 pm
Stairs: I need facilitation to go online and find that proposal. #ows #nycsc
22:44 pm
Concern: What is the name of the event? and can PoC be put on the panel? #ows #nycsc
22:45 pm
WG: Yes, we have someone from Poc on the panel. And the name of the event is #J15. #ows #nycsc
22:46 pm
Concern: We should also include other civil rights leaders & that we use ows resources to drop the cost #ows #nycsc
22:47 pm
FA: Let's just do the outdoor component and that the BrooklynDemocraticParty not have their name on the literature #ows #nycsc
22:47 pm
WG: I'm not sure the BDP will have their name on any literature, however, Riverside will be. #ows #nycsc
22:49 pm
FA: If there is an event on j15-j17, then reach out to other groups. our group didnt know about this. #ows #nycsc
22:49 pm
FA: let's ensure that ppl who go to #j15 also go to #j16 and #j17. #ows #nycsc
22:51 pm
Stairs: I need a commitment from everyone that the moment this proposal is done, you leave immediately. #ows #nycsc
22:53 pm
Stairs: Can I get a temp check on this proposal on passing this here at Spokes? #ows #nycsc
22:53 pm
Stairs: Ok wait. Confer with your Spokes first. #ows #nycsc
22:56 pm
Stairs: Raise your sign if your comfortable trying to pass this here at Spokes #ows #nycsc
22:57 pm
Stairs: Ok. Raise your sign if it should go to the GA. #ows #nycsc
22:58 pm
Stairs: Ok. there's ambiguity. So we're going to straw poll (taken and moving along). #ows #nycsc
22:58 pm
Stairs: Are there any standasides? #ows #nycsc
23:00 pm
Stairs: Ok. We have 14 standasides. #ows #nycsc
23:00 pm
Stairs to WG: Do you want to table this or continue? #ows #nycsc
23:01 pm
WG: Let's keep going. Stairs: Are there any blocks? (none) #ows #nycsc
23:02 pm
Stairs: Alright. MLK event has been approved. #ows #nycsc
23:02 pm
And that's it for tonight everyone. Thanks for staying with us tonight. See you tomorrow and rest well! #ows #nycsc