15:20 pm
RT @OWScom: TONIGHT: OWS Spokes Council at 56 Walker at 7pm. #OWS
19:40 pm
RT @DiceyTroop: About to start livetweeting Spokescouncil over at @LibertySqGA. Hey, have you seen the amazing @OWSAccounting feed? Walk ...
19:51 pm
And the #OWS Spokescouncil fun begins! Follow here and @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3 and @LibertySqGA4 for livetweets. <3 #NYCSC #D23
19:51 pm
Ashley mic checked and asked if folks minded if she facilitated; she is complaining that the intended team facilitates too frequently.#nycsc
19:53 pm
.@NegestiC: "I understand we need to have this convo, but the whole room needs to be involved." Ppl focusing in now on meeting. #nycsc #ows
19:54 pm
Negesti explains that the situation is that @OWSFacilitation has changed our meeting model & that's why Stairs teams have been ad-hoc often.
19:54 pm
(We moved from 7 meetings a week to 3, with idea that individuals would coordinate facilitation. Sometimes it hasn't happened.) #nycsc #ows
19:56 pm
Negesti, who was to Facilitate, telling the meeting calmly that Ashley has a personal issue w/ her, despite refusing mediation. #nycsc #ows
19:57 pm
OK, so it looks lk co-Stairs (facilitators) tonight will be Jeff from Town Planning and Karanja frm PR. Rest of the team coalescing. #nycsc
20:00 pm
Oop, looks like Danielle and Jeff will be the team, Karanja stepping back. @thejorobin will do vibecheck, Kyle from @OccupyDC taking stack.
20:05 pm
Jeff is introducing the team -- someone stepped up: "I feel like what happened before the meeting started, where Negesti was told she…"
20:06 pm
"…couldn't facilitate… I felt like she didn't have a chance to respond and it was out of process." Says it was bullying. #nycsc #ows
20:06 pm
Ashley says that's an attack on her; speaker didn't actually cite her by name tho. #nycsc #ows
20:08 pm
Jeff notes that there is no official process for selecting facilitators (sort of true), but he'll RPS w/ @NegestiC for facilitation. #nycsc
20:08 pm
Ashley says she wants to respond to that. #nycsc #ows
20:08 pm
.@ThatsJodi MCs: "Ashley, you're saying an individual did something to you very similar to what you did to another individual." #nycsc #ows
20:09 pm
.@ThatsJodi continues: "When you spoke, you were out of process"; so was the 1st person who brought up issue; everyone is OOP. #nycsc #ows
20:09 pm
So, enough of that. Facilitation gets everyone to pay attention. @thejorobin: "I know tonight is intense, and I'm offering to step back..."
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "…w/ my opinions tonight to work as vibe checker, if that's OK." Kyle says he's taking stack and says "I don't feel there's…" #nycsc
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "…a lot of tension in this room, because we're all adults and we came here" to get stuff done. #nycsc #ows
20:10 pm
Patrice asks for consensus on her being timekeeper. This is entirely uncontroversial. #nycsc #ows
20:11 pm
OK, Stairs are opening stack on Working Group reportbacks. Starting w/ hand signals. #nycsc #ows
20:12 pm
For the hand signal review, I again point you to this great compilation made by @maxfenton. #nycsc #ows
20:13 pm
Lots of ppl asking about Livestream tonight; I don't see any streamers. Sorry, I'll do my best to fill the void. #nycsc #ows
20:13 pm
Some notes brought up about the "wrap it up" signal (revolving hands around each other) - "use it with compassion", let Stairs do it mostly.
20:14 pm
And, Jeff highlights the "point of affection" (make a <3 w/ yr hands). "I have this for everyone in this room." #nycsc #ows
20:15 pm
Jeff asks that working group reportbacks be concise, 1min. And the agenda will come from the reportbacks. #nycsc #ows
20:15 pm
People of Color Caucus (@ThatsJodi spoking tonight): "I'm saying this during the report back portion, but this wouldn't constitute a…"#nycsc
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "…a report back." PoCC will convene a review of what happened Wednesday. "We're convening the process of this spokescouncil…"#nycsc
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "…to confer as a caucus," and will come back to the group. Means we must halt all business until we deal with what happened. #nycsc
20:16 pm
Jodi: "What happened wasn't appropriate; not just the incident but what happened w/ facilitation and the ppl in this room." #nycsc #ows
20:16 pm
Jodi: "It's not just what happened this one day, but there are dynamics that have been evolving which will affect how the process unfolds.."
20:17 pm
Cont'd: "…how consensus unfolds, how the enforcement/accountability process unfolds." Asks we hold ourselves accountable and "challenge…"
20:17 pm
Cont'd: "…yourself to think of new models of justice. That's what we're asking and we'll get back to you." #nycsc #ows
20:17 pm
Stairs sort of continues w/ reportbacks, but Karanja notes "to be clear, we are invoking our power to stop proceedings." #nycsc #ows
20:18 pm
Also, "if you're sitting w/ another group, we're calling for our caucus to convene." #nycsc #ows
20:19 pm
[This hasn't happened be4; pure opinion: This is needed, and it's great to set precedent of asserting caucus powers when clearly needed.-Ed]
20:20 pm
[We'll be back as soon as the People of Color Caucus is ready to proceed.] #nycsc #ows
20:24 pm
.@ThatsJodi micchecks: "Someone pointed out that if you weren't here Wednesday, you might be in a state of confusion about why PoCC.."
20:24 pm
Cont'd: "…has decided to invoke the operations of this Spokescouncil" (i.e., specific caucus protections around issues of concern.) #nycsc
20:24 pm
Cont'd: "On Weds, an individual had a cardboard sign that would be used to identify WGs or caucuses; on that cardboard sign was written…"
20:24 pm
Cont'd: "…a statement that said "Aryan Brotherhood & Sisterhood & Allies Caucus." Was hidden by another sign, not sure how long held for.
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "When I saw, I pointed it out to PoCC spoke; they brought it to Facilitation, and what happened was, we felt, a break in process.."
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "…or the process was not designed to deal w/ this sort of thing, but either way Facilitation continued process in Spokes…." #nycsc
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "…and the individual was asked to move outside for mediation." Issue was not adequately addressed in Spokescouncil that nite. #nycsc
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "We felt that was really inappropriate and we hope we all can come up w/ process for dealing w/ that in future w/o just continuing…"
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "..process." Someone else points out that many people defended it, saying it was "a stupid joke," especially white ppl… #nycsc #ows
20:26 pm
Cont'd: …but he says, "it happened to be "a stupid racist joke." @shawncarrie asks that we not soapbox during this time, tho. #nycsc #ows
20:33 pm
@zhustlah [I feel you, hard. But so can unaddressed grievances, especially re: oppression. Very important work for us to be doing. -Ed]
20:35 pm
Still here! The People of Color Caucus are preparing to address the SC. We're in recess until then. MT @drovarela: where'd you go, Dicey!
20:37 pm
RT @heyniceplanet: @LibertySqGA Many thanks for your hard work - esp with no live streams. Folks are copying the your twitterfeed into t ...
20:37 pm
.@heyniceplanet [No problem, fam! That's why we keep it robust, reliable, and avoid any central points of failure or control.]
20:38 pm
@YashBoone [This is new (not part of ongoing power struggles), this isn't disruption, this is in-process and, IMO, on point. -Ed.]
20:38 pm
RT @HulkOccupy: HULK NOT AT SPOKES. ENCOURAGE ALL THERE TO CHANNEL HULK, BE STRONG, SMASH OPPRESSIVE BULLSHIT. @SHAWNCARRIE @LIBERTYSQGA ...
20:39 pm
@maxfenton hahahah. My bad.
20:40 pm
Sorry, @maxfenton kindly pointed out that we forgot to actually post the hand signals link. Here: http://t.co/VHmHwQl9 #nycsc #ows
20:55 pm
Kyle from @OccupyDC got up and expressed a loss of patience w/ #NYCSC, said it wasn't about sign, it was about walking out. #ows
20:56 pm
Folks asking for patience as PoCC prepares to address us… we're coming back now. #nycsc #ows
20:56 pm
PoCC: "We'd like to ask, if everyone's willing, to take your seats, so we can talk about why we did what we did, and how we all together.."
20:56 pm
Cont'd: "…can build a stronger movement. We had a chance to decompress; we want you to have a chance to decompress…"
20:56 pm
Cont'd: "…and then we want to switch, and be solutions-oriented, and not just grumble unless we know how to change things for the better."
20:57 pm
Cont'd: "Does that sound OK?" I think we think it sounds OK. #nycsc #ows
20:57 pm
Jeff from TP: "First, we need to establish if in fact the PoC, this caucus, has decided to break their caucus and resume process." #nycsc
20:57 pm
Cont'd: "So, we just need the word from this group that we can return to process." Yes, that's the plan, PoCC indicate. #nycsc #ows
20:58 pm
.@thejorobin, vibes check: "I know it's tense right now, but we're focusing on movement building and it's important to respect the space…"
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "…and respect the process that follows," notes she's not trying to convene a meditation, in reference to last night. Hahah. #nycsc
20:59 pm
Jeff explains that what just happened is "completely a part of process. Everytime a caucus group decides to convene, what they can do is.."
20:59 pm
Cont'd: "…freeze process. They can do it for 30 mins, weeks, month. They've decided to discuss an issue pertinent to their group." #nycsc
20:59 pm
Cont'd: "Once they're done conferring, before we can move forward, they must tell us we can return to spokes process." #nycsc #ows
21:02 pm
.@shawncarrie: "Before the PoC caucus resumes to address what we were discussing," wants to address what someone just posted on @VibeWall.
21:03 pm
Jason wrote a message onscreen; there was a discussion about whether he should do that, Jason says he has free speech but is sorry. #nycsc
21:03 pm
(The message was perceived as disrespectful to PoC caucus decision. Moving on.)
21:04 pm
PoCC: "I think a lot of ppl in the space have been feeling that this isn't a safe space, no matter who you are. Experiencing different..."
21:04 pm
Cont'd: "…types of oppression in this space. I don't want to tokenize myself, so please take what I say as recorded from other ppl..."
21:05 pm
Cont'd: "…but my own interpretation. We want to give people the opportunity to decompress. We were evicted from a space; that was a…"
21:05 pm
Cont'd: "…violent experience." We don't have enough space to decompress from oppressive things that happen to us. #nycsc #ows
21:05 pm
Cont'd: "Secondly, we want to be solutions-oriented." Have ideas on how we can move towards safe, just world. #nycsc #ows
21:05 pm
She wants us to address what happened Wednesday, which "wasn't addressed properly." "If we take silence as our cue," not resolved.
21:06 pm
"There needs to be equity and consistency in how systems are enforced. Currently there's no way to build trust" #nycsc #ows
21:06 pm
Cont'd: "How do we know where we are all at? We need to check our own privilege (all of us have it), we need to talk about language, of..."
21:06 pm
Cont'd: "…what would and would be appropriate. For example, idea that b/c we're all part of the 99%, racism, classism, sexism doesn't exist"
21:06 pm
Cont'd: "That's oppressive because it erases our history. This movement is about human relationships -- people, not processes." Need to...
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "…be flexible." Means we need deep listening and feedback. Need to hear each other. #nycsc #ows
21:07 pm
Next, @shawncarrie: "I want to make sure we're in a safe space, where we don't feel rushed to speak. That happens a lot… we have a lot..."
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "…of meetings. There's a culture where everyone wants to say something. And what we all want to say is important, but there's a.."
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "…culture that' sreally unspoken thatI want to name now, and that's rushing ppl to speak. Not intentionally; some people dont'..."
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "…feel comfortable speaking in large groups -- I do, but I sensed that Sara felt uncomfortable." Shows her <3. (She was last spkr.)
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "We feel facilitation needs checks and balances. As member of @OWSFacilitation there are some, but there could be more."
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "Everyone's invited to our meetings. I feel like they're not always working out to make progress -- I'm speaking for myself."#nycsc
21:09 pm
Cont'd: "I feel like lately, Facilitation WG hasn't been able to address it because of way we've restructured our meeting time." #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
"There are checks and balances;" everyone is welcome at meetings. "We really really mean it, and we want you to come." #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
Cont'd: "We spend a lot of time talking "there's not enough PoC here", not enough diversity -- so I can't stress that enough". #nycsc #ows
21:10 pm
Shawn also points out that we can at any time make a PoP expressing "I don't feel comfortable w/ what's happening right now, I want..."
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "…facilitation to address it." If they can't, "it's your right to overthrow the facilitation." #nycsc #ows
21:10 pm
"Facilitation wants to, and needs to, have more trainings for its people. I want to know more about oppression, non-violent communication.."
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "…and anti-oppression." We want these trainings so everyone can facilitate and "be a good facilitator." #nycsc #ows
21:11 pm
"And I'll repeat myself, just so that everyone gets it -- we want everyone to understand facilitation, NVC, anti-oppression." #nycsc #ows
21:12 pm
Shawn says he'll make a commitment to bring this issue to facilitation "so we are trained in the things we need to understand." #nycsc
21:13 pm
"Oppression works in invisible ways. You don't see it, and it works on structural, institutional levels, like racism, a form of it." #nycsc
21:13 pm
"It works in ways that you don't understand and you need to learn. If you think you understand it completely, you don't. None of us do."
21:13 pm
"It works on psychological levels." One of the best things he's heard in this movement was a response to a sexist joke... #nycsc #ows
21:13 pm
"A woman stood up, said, 'that's not cool; you can't say stuff like that, that's sexist.' He said, "Oh, it's a joke." But 1 of the things..
21:14 pm
"..this movement is doing Is changing the discourse in society, so you can step up and say, no, that's not cool. That's not a joke." #nycsc
21:14 pm
Ashley says it's not about the sign, we need to incorporate more allies and safer spaces and have a space to address discomfort. #nycsc #ows
21:14 pm
Ashley cont'd: "This has been going on for months and weeks before; when women of color have brought this to group's attention.." #nycsc
21:15 pm
Cont'd: "…they've been mocked," felt Facilitation tweeting about how it was just a joke [?] was inappropriate. #nycsc #ows
21:15 pm
Ashley cont'd: "We need to hold facilitation and each other accountable," make a safe space. Says this is about many other people than...
21:16 pm
Cont'd: …those here and "since there's an inadequate representation of marginalized groups here", some ppl have been going overboard...
21:16 pm
Cont'd: …advocating for them. "The 99% is not on equal playing fields." #nycsc #ows
21:17 pm
Jeff (Stairs) says we're "overtime" on this issue, gives options: outside discussion, agenda topic, or …? #nycsc #ows
21:18 pm
Karanja says that if we rush them off the floor, they'll have to reconvene again and nothing will get done tonight. #nycsc #ows
21:19 pm
PoP: "I don't understand why you (Jeff) are asserting time limits on a process that's informal, let's temp check giving PoC the floor"#nycsc
21:20 pm
.@thejorobin restates, asks for temp check. We are very much in favor of giving PoC caucus the continuation. #nycsc #ows
21:20 pm
PoP: "I was involved in creation of SC; we specifically talked about the role of caucuses and I specifically struggled w/ that group and.."
21:20 pm
Cont'd: "…the GA to make sure caucuses have the right to freeze meeting and reconvene. We don't have to request right to speak." #nycsc
21:21 pm
Stairs: "This is like a fire in the room. We're not going to keep going until we deal with it. We're bringing it to group as a whole b/c…"
21:21 pm
Cont'd: "…we are the 99% and if part of us is harmed, we're harmed. Can't make a movement if ppl" feel unsafe. #nycsc #ows
21:22 pm
PoCC continuing: "Next pt we talked about was having a check for equity for all proposals coming forward- to look at whether they are..."
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "…equitable in terms of race, gender, gender identity, and class." For all proposals that come to GA or spokes. #nycsc #ows
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "That should be part of criteria by default for anything we're passing. Next point: a caucus should not have a requirement for…"
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "…the # of ppl in the room. The caucus by default is a minority in the larger movement, so to marginalize a group for being..."
21:24 pm
Cont'd: "…a minority when caucuses were created so they could speak for rights of minorities, is really problematic." #nycsc #ows
21:24 pm
Karanja (POCC): "I'm an active member in a # of working groups. I assert myself; I'm very assertive, wherever I go, and in many ways I've.."
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "…felt that I function and contribute to this movement in many ways, and there's space for that in many ways." #nycsc #ows
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "I reach valleys every single day and mountains every single day. And I function in spite of what I see going on here." #nycsc #ows
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "What's so shocking to me is despite being grad school educated, I still face so many barriers -- so many doors still get shut..."
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "..in my face. And that is so disheartening, but at the same time, b/c I function, the things I'm able to do make me feel like..."
21:26 pm
Cont'd: "…I reach mountaintops every single day. So we stopped this, we convened and called this process, not just for the fun of it..."
21:26 pm
Cont'd: "..but because this pains us." "Can't believe how blind ppl can be to not see what's so clear to us in the PoCC and our allies…"
21:26 pm
"…including white allies that we have here. There is so much denial of the privilege that exists for some ppl, just ignorant privilege..."
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…that is granted to ppl, that can be destructive, rude, oppressive, and can stop process using polite, pretty language, and still..
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…be very destructive. I've seen it in this space, and in many WGs I've been a part of, someone who left who is very bigoted who.."
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…actually stopped an all-day training I attended, and his name is Dan Zeder; he's very bigoted, and people that know him..."
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…some of his best friends admitted to me that he's very bigoted. And he was a member of the Structure group that formed..."
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "…this spokescouncil. He said to me that one of the intentions of forming the SC was to exclude 'west-siders', and he figured.."
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "…by moving SC indoors, they couldn't come in, and the SC would function w/o these people. So, these aren't things I've created.."
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "…in my mind. Anyway, we stopped this because it's too painful -- we cannot continue if this oppression continues, and it's..."
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "…not just people of color, it's all kinds of minorities that are ignored in this process. If WGs hold closed meetings, are not..."
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "…accountable, we must hold them accountable as well." Says we need to redefine what WGs and Caucuses are, since...
21:29 pm
Cont'd: …what's 'operational' is no longer relevant since raid. "We propose that WGs and Caucuses -- that the system no longer works.."
21:30 pm
Cont'd: "…and needs to be modified," that WGs and Caucuses should make a new spokes maybe. #nycsc #ows
21:30 pm
.@ThatsJodi picks it up from there. "I'm just going to quickly speak on behalf of myself. There's a paper in front of me w/ some items we.."
21:30 pm
Cont'd: "…talked about together; we took opportunity to convene today to get input from ppl on what we should bring to you." #nycsc #ows
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "But before I do that, reading bullet points, I want to address the fact I'm at the point I'm about to cry. Going to try to…"
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "…mitigate my emotions." But notes that Caucuses needing to bring agenda to deal w/ oppression "is offensive to me." #nycsc #ows
21:32 pm
Cont'd: So while she's "dealing with my emotions," "we still have to give, put forth, and still experience historical experiences that…"
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "…we all have from outside," and is disgusted we haven't addressed how to hold incidents like this accountable. #nycsc #ows
21:32 pm
"One of our issues is to hold Facilitation accountable, and one of the facilitators stepped out of process to tell us we couldn't do..."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "..what we thought we were able to do." Notes they haven't been empowered to know how to operate in this sort of instance. #nycsc
21:33 pm
Jodi objects to how ppl don't know that caucus has these powers, are down-twinkling, asking why they're doing this, and haven't "bothered.."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "…to educate themselves as to why there would be a women's caucus, a PoC caucus, a queer caucus," and she is frustrated that...
21:34 pm
Cont'd: ..she feels like we're wasting time b/c she's not even sure what she needs to do at this point in the process. #nycsc #ows
21:34 pm
"The movement needs to come up w/ a new accountability system and process. Folks have seen me stepping up on behalf of how I felt…"
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "..or other individuals" -- wants to address idea that they don't care about accountability. "I care about accountability..."
21:37 pm
Cont'd: "…I care about justice." Notes that folks are threatening to leave the movement based on what they've seen, but… #nycsc #ows
21:37 pm
"If the best this movement has to bring forward, to model, in terms of what @shawncarrie was talking about, is to come up w/ a justice…"
21:37 pm
"…system only based on petty instances, ejecting people, removing people, I'll leave the movement." That justice system is based on...
21:37 pm
Cont'd: …punishment. "It's called the punitive justice system. Where is that operated? In this country." Applied to folks of color, those...
21:37 pm
Cont'd: …who don't fit into gender norms, have mental illnesses. "That's what the justice system looks like outside of this movement."
21:37 pm
"If this mvmnt can't challenge itself to come up w/ justice/accountability system to address history and experiences of immigrants…"
21:37 pm
"..native-born" -- justice system rips immigrant families apart. Nan's up next. #nycsc #ows
21:38 pm
Nan asks, on behalf of -isms caucus, that we suspend Spokescouncil for a month starting 12/27 and replace w/ education about -isms. #nycsc
21:39 pm
PoC members behind me are putting up points of process. "What are you doing, Nan?" Someone: "She's doing her Nan thing." #nycsc #ows
21:40 pm
Ashley to Nan: "Stop using us!" Folks now conferring w/ Nan in center of room. Looks like might be a minute or two. #nycsc #ows
21:41 pm
Ashley steps up. "This is a break from what's supposed to happen. An individual has gone rogue to talk about something we did not discuss."
21:42 pm
Nan is mic checking. "I want to discuss what happened on Wednesday." Jeff mic-checks. "We're still in process." #nycsc #ows
21:42 pm
Jeff cont'd: "This community hs consented to give the People of Color Caucus the time necessary to finish the discussion." Bringing us back.
21:43 pm
.@shawncarrie puts up a PoP: "So, PoCC convened our caucus, and we're speaking, and somebody who's a member of our caucus.." #nycsc #ows
21:43 pm
Cont'd: "…got up to speak, but wasn't speaking about things group agreed to speak on, and spoke abt another group." Disclaims Nan's speech.
21:44 pm
Nan gets another chance. "On Weds, I feel like facilitation wasn't doing their job, especially when they brought that lady to do meditation.
21:44 pm
"…because it disrespected ppl of other religious belief." She expressed that, asked her to step down. #nycsc #ows
21:45 pm
Nan cont'd: "This gentleman who was sitting right there, w/ that board, hid the sign. He saw me coming; he sat down in front of me w/ the.."
21:45 pm
Cont'd: "…sign. I raised my hand, I said, "facilitation, can you please put me on stack to address the sign he has?" #nycsc #ows
21:45 pm
Cont'd: "She refused to put me on stack. So I said, "you're oppressing me and I don't feel safe in that space." #nycsc #ows
21:45 pm
"After raising hell, somebody said "let her talk." I was halfway through and she interrupted me; and here I'm trying to address...
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "…this person is disrespecting my race. And I was shot down by facilitation over and over and over again." #nycsc #ows
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "Then I just got so frustrated w/ her, I said forget it and stopped talking. My friend, who was sitting nxt to me, moved his chair..
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "…because he felt uncomfortable." Someone asks she not speak for them. "Less than 5 mins later, he came back and sat in front.."
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "…of me again, so I got my phone and started to text ppl about what was going on, to try to get support." Pointed Jodi to sign..
21:47 pm
Cont'd: "..and next thing I know, it got their attention and they started walking out." Says facilitator then said she cared, but didn't...
21:47 pm
Cont'd: …when Nan pointed it out. "She disrespected my race, culture, skin color." Someone says, "it's b/c you're an a-hole, not because…"
21:48 pm
"Woah" we all say. [Really not the time, dude.] #nycsc #ows
21:48 pm
.@SgtShamarThomas mic checks. "Hello, can I talk for one second please? I have been sitting here w/ my mouth shut, and anybody who knows.."
21:48 pm
Cont'd: "..me -- anybody who has seen the video of me knows how I am. I am losing my patience with the adults here." #nycsc #ows
21:49 pm
Cont'd: "The world is watching! The ones who are here snickering, the one who said that -- I don't care how you feel! She is a human being!"
21:49 pm
Cont'd: "Y'all have forgotten why you're here. We need to start saying it -- why are you here? We need to start treating people like..."
21:49 pm
Cont'd: "…human beings and give respect." Joe from the space comes in and asks folks to stop being loud. #nycsc #ows
21:50 pm
Sgt. Thomas continues: "The disrespect you show the people are who you are as a person. You're not disguising your hate w/ me." #nycsc #ows
21:50 pm
Cont'd: "I treat everybody w/ respect, and you need to give that to the next person. There are so many ppl who don't give that..."
21:50 pm
Cont'd: "…and that's why we're here. So stop giving yourself excuses, stop snickering at people talking about their oppression." #nycsc
21:50 pm
Cont'd: "I love you all, remember that. But you are the foundation. The way you act in this room is how people remember us. Remember that."
21:51 pm
Nan: "Before I was rudely interrupted by name-calls.. and also, I feel like Facilitation owes me an apology" for posting a proposal...
21:51 pm
Cont'd: …on the website that was designed to remove Nan from the movement. "That wasn't just a show of disrespect for her," but also for...
21:52 pm
Cont'd: ..marginalized people and black people, she says. She notices Robert grinning and takes issue w/ his behavior. #nycsc #ows
21:53 pm
Robert is not handling it well. Karanja tells him he's being disrespectful. @Shawncarrie mic checks to pick up the floor. #nycsc #ows
21:54 pm
[These are real issues that the 1% has seeded w/in the 99% for centuries. Changing this is going to be hard. I'm glad y'all are seeing…]
21:54 pm
[…this, as "ugly" as some may find it. Because this is about a real, vast disconnect that we cannot just set aside. It affects all of us.]
21:56 pm
.@thejorobin mic checks to ask us to refocus and address this issue immediately. "The house -- this house -- is uncomfortable..."
21:56 pm
Cont'd: "…with the fact that we continually have these arguments." Says the space is kicking us out. "I think this conversation is..."
21:56 pm
Cont'd: "…extremely important. But unfortunately, we need to go somewhere else to continue this conversation." #nycsc #ows
21:57 pm
.@thejorobin invites us to reconvene the convo at Liberty Square. It looks like I'll be joining it there. Keep an eye on the feed.. #nycsc
22:08 pm
So, the meeting has adjourned and according to @ThatsJodi the PoCC hasn't cosigned any continuation outside the space. #nycsc #OWS
22:10 pm
We're heading to the park now, but I'm wary of documenting anything outside of the PoCC's intended process. So, probably won't. #nycsc #ows
22:10 pm
My sense also. RT @drovarela: @LibertySqGA2 this is not cool. If space really supports movement, it should see value in this conversation.
22:13 pm
@CallMeGoldie [You are right for the most part, but there are white folks agitating for it that IMO hv mixed up the two. Makes complicated.]
22:19 pm
RT @blogdiva: @LibertySqGA2 ummm. that's not how it went down when i was facilitating. btw, people ought to know am not there but follow ...
22:22 pm
I'm now alone in Liberty Square. Will wait for a short while but it sounds like this will continue w/ Monday's #nycsc. See you there. #ows
22:23 pm
Any questions, comments, concerns, hit me up on @diceytroop. We'll continue convo there. Much love to everyone. Out. #nycsc #ows
23:05 pm
RT @mancoww: @libertySqGa The space has neighbors who are a major pain. it's not their fault.