19:09 pm
Hey fam! Tonight's Liberty Square General Assembly starts now! Follow here, @LibertySqGA2, @LibertySqGA3, and @LibertySqGA4. #nycga #ows
19:10 pm
Stairs (our shorthand for facilitators) have introduced themselves and are reviewing hand signals. #nycga #ows
19:12 pm
For an overview of handsignals, please see this collection by @maxfenton: http://t.co/VHmHwQl9 #nycga #ows
19:13 pm
Someone asks about standasides. "We're trying to incorporate this; it lets you voice that you don't agree, but you aren't going to block."
19:14 pm
PoI: "At early GAs, we did have standasides, but they faded away." We're going to start w/ Announcements. #nycga #ows
19:14 pm
Robert notes that a bunch of ppl are here, and thinks we should hear funding proposals first. Leo (Stairs) notes we'll review agenda.#nycga
19:15 pm
Agenda: proposals! First, Direct action / Arts & Culture, 30 mins. Second, Constitution, 30 mins. 3: Library! 15 mins. 4. Think tank, 15.
19:15 pm
Next, Visions and Goals, about 15 mins. Then, Occupy Farms w/ 20 mins. 7: Emergency Proposal by Daryl, 10 mins. #nycga #ows
19:16 pm
8th is someone w/ 15 minutes and 9th, Sanitation. Not totally sure what that 8th one was. That can be our suspense for the eve! #nycga #ows
19:16 pm
Announcements! Structure WG is reforming. "How to improve transparency, make process smoother." #nycga #ows
19:17 pm
Also, the Solutions Cluster meets Sunday at 60 Wall, 5-6pm, for groups related to structural development. #nycga #ows
19:17 pm
Next, @jdegroot from Tech! "We have a new feature at nycga.net that everyone's going to love. Lets you call an 800 number and get..."
19:18 pm
Cont'd: "...info from the website, and post messages on website, via phone!" Number: 855.203.7763 "Tell yr friends!" #nycga #ows
19:18 pm
Cont'd: "If you have yr username on nycga.net set up w/ a phone number, it'll be personalized, give you info about yr groups." #nycga #ows
19:19 pm
Cont'd: "We're working on a sexy vanity number; we don't have it yet." Someone:"OWS-SEXY!" #nycga #ows
19:19 pm
Leo asks if we need to use the ppl's mic since folks have arrived; still aren't. Oh well. #nycga #ows
19:20 pm
Next, the People of Color Caucus are organizing a march Thurs for justice for Pvt Danny Chen! Pentagon is covering up details of his death.
19:20 pm
The Danny Chen march starts 6pm Thursday from 143 Chambers, the Army Recruiting Center #nycga #ows
19:21 pm
Next, we're working to connect w/ folks near the Duarte Square space in preparation for #reoccupationday, December 17th. #nycga #ows
19:21 pm
Next, someone from Scotland! "Everything y'all do here resonates across the world! Keep it up!" Cheers! #nycga #solidarity #ows
19:22 pm
Stairs: "We're going to get started on the agenda. I feel very positive about the tone of this meeting so far; granted it's only been.."
19:22 pm
Cont'd: "...announcements." Laughs. "But keep it up, OK? Let's show our friend what we can do." #nycga #ows
19:23 pm
First proposal, Direct Action and Arts & Culture Working Groups. "We hope to spend 30 minutes on this agenda item." #nycga #ows
19:24 pm
Tom from DA: "We've got an awesome event coming up on Saturday! We're hoping it results in a new occupation! Woo!" #nycga #ows
19:24 pm
Cont'd: "We're asking for $7400 to be used for art fabrication, press and media, transportation." Will be at 6th and Canal at 12pm, #D17.
19:25 pm
"In terms of cost, we've been approached by celebrities who want to tie their names. This is a way to use them finally; we have a bunch..."
19:25 pm
Cont'd: "...of artists who are willing to put themselves on the line." Working with Danger also! Woah dogs. #nycga #ows
19:25 pm
"This is an ongoing conversation; anyone can get involved over the next 4 days. We've had open meetings the last 2 weeks." #nycga #ows
19:26 pm
Cont'd: "There'll be a 5:30 mtg Thurs at 60 Wall where this convo will continue." Great place to get yr voice heard re: #d17. #nycga #ows
19:27 pm
CQ stack opened. CQ: "I'm just curious; you're asking for $7400 for materials; what exactly is that money going to?" #nycga #ows
19:27 pm
A: "We have a bunch of support from area and artists from LMCC; canvassing for weeks and many ppl nearby willing to drop banners." #nycga
19:27 pm
Cont'd: "This action is an amazing tool for outreach; it's by mouth of Holland Tunnel and thousands of people will see if it we can hold it"
19:28 pm
"The amount we're getting donated far exceeds the amnt we're spending." "We're also working w/ subgroups of DA including Park Defense..."
19:28 pm
"There will be a thorough, transparent accting of all expenses and any funds not used will be returned to the General Fund." #nycga #ows
19:29 pm
CQ: "You're asking ppl to participate; are you asking the GA to endorse?" A: "This is endorsed by DA; GA empowered DA to decide..." #nycga
19:29 pm
Cont'd: "..about actions. We've brought community into planning; this is just for the funding." #nycga #ows
19:29 pm
CQ: "The action sounds great; they always are, but you said $7400, and just now you said you have $3000 of supplies budgeted?" #nycga
19:30 pm
A: "No, that was just for some of the art fab; there's also DA materials and things going into space like tent structures." #nycga #ows
19:30 pm
A cont'd: "I don't have the line-by-line right here, but we could post that." Leo notes in back folks can't hear; asking if we can move in.
19:30 pm
CQ: "My only thing is - DAs are lifeblood of movement. But I'd encourage you to be a little careful, b/c the financial..."
19:31 pm
Cont'd: "...data we got yesterday puts us close to being broke sometime next month." #nycga #ows
19:31 pm
Someone objects to that; CQ clarifies: "No, I mean, we're nowhere near broke. But we need to start thinking about that." #nycga #ows
19:32 pm
Leo notes that we want to keep this stack to Clarifying Questions. CQ: "I just came out tonite to show support for DA and the reoccupation."
19:32 pm
Cont'd: "We have a lot of things we're spending money on as #occupy, but we're not an occupation unless we occupy!" #nycga #ows
19:33 pm
Cont'd: "My only caveat as member of Accounting is, will DA bring receipts for all the wonderful money for this wonderful action?" A: "Yes!"
19:33 pm
CQ again: "Well then right the fuck on!" Hahah. Someone asks if stuff from raid is useful, and if we may lose more stuff. #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
A: "Yes, and we're working hard to only deploy things when they're needed so we can keep everything." #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
Sage gets up. "I've been to a couple of meetings; I'm completely disruptive. I don't want to be disruptive, but I am." #nycga #ows
19:34 pm
Cont'd: "I just want to know where in the process I can -- I just want everyone to know what they're getting into." #nycga #ows
19:35 pm
Leo asks if sage can bring it up as a concern; we're closing stack on CQs before we move to the next one. #nycga #ows
19:35 pm
CQ: "There's been lots of concern re: spending of $, and I heard some mention of generating more funds thru donations." #nycga #ows
19:35 pm
CQ cont'd: "And you know, I think doing an action can actually generate donations. Can you explain how it might?" #nycga #ows
19:36 pm
A: "One of the things that's amazing re: the space is it's a mvmnt builder in terms of physical location. It sits at the entrance..." #nycga
19:36 pm
Cont'd:: "...of the Holland Tunnel, and millions of ppl will see it each day, which may make them look at our websites, etc." #nycga
19:37 pm
Cont'd: "We're also planning on putting a high emphasis on art in the space." So it'll be compelling and visible. #nycga #ows
19:38 pm
More: "The direct answr is visibility will generate revenue- regardless of what you think of revenue, could potentially generate it." #nycga
19:38 pm
Chaim's CQ was about tactics. "We have security culture about tactics in this action, and especially since you have a camera right now..."
19:39 pm
Chaim: "I'm just very concerned about the possibility for arrest." Could this could bankrupt us? #nycga #ows
19:39 pm
A: "Concern was that this could cause so many arrests it would bankrupt #OWS. I'd say, I personally agree w/ this action, so I'm..." #nycga
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "...putting myself out there, and I think risk is part of any action." More: "It'll be clear, as in previous actions, we try.."
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "...to communicate various roles people can play, i.e. there'll be a de-escalation team and flags to show you where to go..." #nycga
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "...based on your personal comfort zone." But we are willing to take risks for this movement. #nycga #ows
19:41 pm
More: "I also want to address ? of funding; there were 700 arrests on BK bridge and we didn't go bankrupt -- we grew!" #nycga #ows
19:41 pm
Cont'd: "Also, we only have to pay money when there's bail" and there usually isn't. #nycga #ows
19:42 pm
Nan's concern: "You guys are planning all these secret actions; this movement's supposed to be about openness." #nycga #ows
19:43 pm
Con'td: "If you guys are planning something like this, where ppl might get arrested & harmed like in the eviction, give me notice." #nycga
19:43 pm
A: "Every arrest, we aren't spending $ for. We're only spending $ when we have to bail ppl out. This isn't going to bankrupt the mvmnt."
19:43 pm
Also A: "The tactics around the action, i.e. music and non-violence, are to keep it a safe zone. We have 1400 faith leaders coming out."
19:44 pm
Nan: "But you guys don't have any itemized item telling us what the money is going to be for." #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
PoI: "Bail doesn't mean you give the money; it's a loan and you get it back. It's only needed if you commit a felony." #nycga #ows
19:44 pm
Cont'd: "This movement is committed to non-violence and civil disobedience should never need a bailout ever." #nycga #ows
19:45 pm
Chaim's Concern: "I was at the meeting about this briefly, and I spoke to the group of faith leaders. One pt was, if there was a concern..."
19:45 pm
Cont'd: "...that if the fence wasn't open, it would break a biblican injunction about taking space from others." He's "very concerned."
19:45 pm
A: "Trinity's ownership of this property is under contention. There's an old land claim from a family in PA that say this was taken..."
19:46 pm
Cont'd: "...from them by the Church of England in 17-something." We're not taking it from Trinity, we're supporting that claim. #nycga
19:46 pm
Awesome, we're switching to the ppl's mic. "Mic check!" ("Mic check!") "Music to my ears!" ("Music to my ears!") #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
"In the era of engagement, one arrests equals a network of 1,000 friends. That's how you get a story out." #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
Stairs: "We'd like to close stack on concerns. Everyone who has concerns on stack will be heard." #nycga #ows
19:47 pm
C: "My concern is re: health and safety of occupiers in the park. It's cold- how will we keep ppl warm?" #nycga #ows
19:48 pm
A: "There's a team called Infrastructure that's been working very hard on this issue. We're planning on bringing communal tents.." #nycga
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "...into this space. There will also be sleeping bags and other Comfort amenities." #nycga #ows
19:48 pm
Concern: "Won't they just be destroyed and taken, or did the NYPD change their minds?" A: "I just want to say that these are all.." #nycga
19:49 pm
Cont'd: "...very important concerns and questions; I really invite everyone to the open meeting at 5:30. Lots of discussion on these.."
19:49 pm
Cont'd: "...topics have been had." Notes they're always transparent after fact but can't always show ahead of time. #nycga #ows
19:49 pm
"Every proposal DA has ever made to GA, we've accounted for every dime. It's a trust issue; I feel we're deserving of trust to this point."
19:50 pm
RE: arrests: "When I was arrested on the 17th, there were ppl who got arrested that did not know they would be." #nycga #ows
19:50 pm
Cont'd: "I was prepared to be arrested, and they were not. Is this going to be addressed at this and future events?" #nycga #ows
19:51 pm
Leo notes we're using stack. Sage: "My concern is ppl are not being honest about their actual goals, whether or not their goal is to fail.."
19:52 pm
Cont'd: "...spectacularly or actually create another village." Concerned that some folks don't worry about failure b/c it's win-win. #nycga
19:52 pm
Sage wants to know if DA is more concerned w/ creating something lasting or failing spectacularly. #nycga #ows
19:52 pm
A: "The only goal is to take this space, and create a new home for this movement." Sage thinks we should bring sleeping bags...
19:52 pm
Cont'd: "..and make use of good data acquired in taking this park. First we had huddling in the rain, then we had umbrellas..." #nycga
19:53 pm
Cont'd: "..then we had tarps over the umbrellas -- it was in stages." DA: "This is in coalition w/ the faith community; if we can enter..."
19:53 pm
Cont'd: "...space, we will enter legally." Goal is to broker terms with those who own the space. "That's the goal." #nycga #ows
19:54 pm
DA wants this space to be truly owned by this community and that folks participate in planning the new occupation. #nycga #ows
19:54 pm
Stairs: "We've reached time, can we continue for 5 more minutes?" Yup! #nycga #ows
19:55 pm
PoI: "This was more relevant 15min ago, but in terms of bankruptcy, if you post bail you get it back long as they don't skip town." #nycga
19:55 pm
C: "I was positive initially about this, but now I'm a bit ambivalent. The question you have to ask w/ any direct action is, will it grow.."
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "..our base. I'm skeptical this will grow our base of popular support. This will take a bit of resources. I think that energy..."
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "...and those resources might better be put to things like education and outreach." #nycga #ows
19:56 pm
A: "Without a park, our funding has dropped. And the # of ppl who see us every day has also dropped. I think having space is..." #nycga
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "...an outreach tool. And the idea w/ this space is to create a home for the community, where we can have teach-ins..." #nycga
19:57 pm
Cont'd: "...and do valuable educational work in addition to the operations of this space." #nycga #ows
19:57 pm
Concern: "It's just DA taking this risk, right? You don't expect anyone else go in there?" A: "No, anyone can who wants to participate..."
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "...it's an autonomous decision each individual must make." CQ: "OK, so what if a homeless person joins and is evicted? B/c..."
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "..from past experience, it doesn't look like there's a contingency plan." A: "That's a valid concern and a long conversation..."
19:59 pm
Cont'd: "...but there's a housing working group, and this isn't incompatible w/ a number of indoor efforts." #nycga #ows
19:59 pm
A also: "I think it's impt to note that as part of Town Planning and Infrastructure, there's a lot of thought that's gone into the egress.."
20:00 pm
Cont'd: "...in other words, entering and leaving space. But hope is that Trinity will give us space. And there will always be an.."#nycga
20:00 pm
Cont'd: "...opportunity to leave." Also, "there's an exit strategy." Questioner raises point: many folks will follow us, we must be mindful.
20:01 pm
Leo: "I'm going to remind everybody that the next step in this process is to offer friendly amendments to the proposal that will..." #nycga
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "...satisfy concerns." After we hear rest of concerns, we'll try to deal with outstanding concerns in friendly amendment section.
20:01 pm
CQ: "For the benefit of everyone, those who walked in later, after the original proposal was made, we've heard a lot of the questions..."
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "...and information points; can you restate the proposal very quickly?" #nycga #ows
20:02 pm
A: "It's a join proposal from DA and Arts and Culture for $7400 for supplies to make a new occupation at 6th and Canal." #nycga #ows
20:02 pm
A cont'd: "Funding is for infrastructure, transportation, arts and media, park defense." All funds will be tracked. #nycga #ows
20:03 pm
Leo: "I want to be really clear that this proposal is about providing funding for a project. As I understand it, the meetings that will..."
20:03 pm
Cont'd: "...organize this project, and how it's conducted, are still happening. And the conversations now happening here should..."
20:03 pm
Cont'd: "...be happening there." PoI: "I'd like to remind everyone that these homeless people that some of you deem "have nothing"..."
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "...hv everything to gain." Leo sees more PoIs, bt it feels a bit like those are opportunities to jump stack, "all due respect."
20:04 pm
Chaim: "This isn't my concern, but someone else raised it. He wants to know if you guys are gonna be on the front lines." #nycga #ows
20:05 pm
Chaim's own concern: "I'm assuming you're going to be doing this even if you don't get the funding. My concern is that we as a body.."
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "...are not yet together enough to do an occupation w/ funding that can all be lost. On eviction day, beforehand, Solidarity WG..."
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "...did 2 grievance councils, and no one has followed up w/ Solidarity Group regarding all these grievances that existed.."
20:06 pm
Cont'd: "...amongst occupiers at Zuccotti Park. So how is it that we're ready to reoccupy, spend this money, if we haven't gone..."
20:06 pm
Cont'd: "...over all these problems that we've had at Zuccotti." Says do it, but don't waste the money. "I don't think we're ready." #nycga
20:06 pm
Stairs notes we're 5 minutes over, and we need to make sure that the GA still feels good about continuing this conversation. #nycga #ows
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "We're almost through concerns. Do ppl feel ok continuing this for another 5 minutes?" Yes, 5 more mins. #nycga #ows
20:08 pm
A: "Reconciliation is an important conversation. It's our belief that we can heal better in a space than in no space." #nycga #ows
20:08 pm
A: "The $ is to ensure safety, tactics, and success of action. We don't have to spend the $, but it might obstruct the effectiveness.."
20:08 pm
A cont'd: "...of the action. We wouldn't ask for any money at all if we didn't think it was absolutely needed for success. We'll be..."
20:09 pm
A cont'd: "...careful stewards." Next: "Many ppl are in the exact position I am, working hard in groups in this movement." #nycga #ows
20:09 pm
Cont'd: "I can only do that b/c DA exists. I can only put time into this because this exists, actions exist. I need to know I'm not..."
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "...wasting time coding 8 hours a day. We need this." 1 more concern, then FAs. #nycga #ows
20:10 pm
Concern: "1, we never really tried to get this one back. 2. we might be seen as repeating what started us when we should be moving..."#nycga
20:11 pm
Cont'd: "...to another step. And 3, beyond the costs of the day, there'd be ongoing costs from setting up a new camp." #nycga
20:11 pm
A: "To answer the financial concern, I believe we already addressed that this park will bring more $ to the movement." #nycga #ows
20:11 pm
A cont'd: "To address another point, we've never had to fight for space. It's time to stand up for space, and an occupation we believe in."
20:12 pm
Stairs opens FA (friendly amendments) stack. FA: "I want to see a contingency plan in place before this gets passed." #nycga #ows
20:12 pm
FA cont'd: "I want to see this tabled for now. You know what happens, people get caught up in the moment. I'm all about acting..." #nycga
20:13 pm
Cont'd: "...but we need to have a continency." A: "There's a tactical team working on exit strategy; that option will be available to all."
20:13 pm
A cont'd: "There's a contingency: there are affinity groups working on other spaces. You can go to those groups and help." #nycga
20:14 pm
He's insisting he wants a contingency plan. DA: "If we gave you tactics, it might affect our tactics on that day." Security culture. #nycga
20:15 pm
FA: "No, I'm talking about what happens when ppl get arrested and then they're in the snow." #nycga #ows
20:15 pm
A: "This is a larger question for the mvmnt. We should be asking it every single day. And this action is about asking that question."#nycga
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "It'll be very clear; if there is a safe way to enter space, ppl will know that. This is a social justice movement; it entails..."
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "...risk and sacrifice." "There are 2.3 million people incarcerated, right now." #nycga #ows
20:16 pm
FA: "I would like to make a FA that a return-on-investment projection be made. If you don't know how to do that, I'll show you." #nycga
20:17 pm
A: "You can come to meeting 5:30 Thursday 60 Wall--" FA: "I will." A: "OK, great! But the 3 of us can't do that right now." #nycga
20:17 pm
Nan's FA: "I requested earlier is for the breakdown. I'm sorry Zack, but I am for the ppl. I want to see, and I want ppl to hear..." #nycga
20:18 pm
Cont'd: "...the breakdown of each thing the $ will be used for." Says it's b/c she has a problem with some things on the list. #nycga #ows
20:18 pm
Stairs: "I see a lot of negative feeling about that from the GA. I just want to acknowledge that's what I'm seeing." #nycga #ows
20:18 pm
A: "We've explained why we can't make that public, but any unused funds will be returned, as per multiple DAs prior." #nycga #ows
20:19 pm
Next FA: "If the point is to nonviolently fight for space, then my friendly amendment is that we put the action off until we have..."#nycga
20:19 pm
Cont'd: "...the internal strength w/in mvmnt to put bodies on the line, so ppl have more than a few days to think, talk abt what tht means."
20:20 pm
Cont'd: "And also to build trust w/ ppl doing the action, so it's important, and we can let you go ahead and do it." #nycga #ows
20:20 pm
A: "The group has decided to do this; you don't hv to go along, but we don't think we'll be stronger in 2 months w/o it." #nycga
20:21 pm
Chaim "spoke to Michael" and he's got this FA: "One of these churches involved in this FA should commit to housing ppl who get..." #nycga
20:21 pm
Cont'd: "...arrested when they get out. And then we'll also know how serious they are." #nycga #ows
20:22 pm
Chaim's personal FA: "Temporarily postpone the request for funding, just until tomorrow, until we can contact Judson, and meet w..." #nycga
20:22 pm
Cont'd: "...Solidarity regarding certain other issues so as to deal w/ these grievances." #nycga #ows
20:22 pm
A: "We'll talk to Judson, ask them to make space available, but we need to get funding for the action tonight." #nycga #ows
20:23 pm
PoI: "There is already space available from several churches already housing ppl displaced from Zuccotti raid." #nycga #ows
20:23 pm
Stairs: "That was the last FA; please restate the proposal before we temperature check and move to consensus." #nycga #ows
20:23 pm
Proposers restate. Temp check? Cheers! "Let's get this space!" "Let's get this shit started!" #nycga #ows
20:24 pm
Stairs: "The temperature check looked good! Now, we ask for blocks: severe moral or ethical safety concerns w/ proposal. So severe that..."
20:24 pm
Cont'd: "...you're saying you'd consider leaving the movement if this proposal passed." Are there any blocks? #nycga #ows
20:24 pm
Leo: "I see 2 blocks and a point of process. We're going to take the point of process." #nycga #ows
20:25 pm
POP: "The gentleman here w/ the block has previously blocked, been overridden; has no intention to leave the movement but will stick..."
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "...around to issue more blocks. His block is not sincere." #nycga #ows
20:26 pm
Leo: "We want to respect blocks b/c they are an invididual's right to express deep moral concerns." #nycga #ows
20:26 pm
Leo explains standasides. "If you don't feel good about this proposal, you can raise your hand, but it's not going to block proposal."
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "You express you don't feel good about it, but you're also willing to let it go forward." There are 7 standasides. #nycga #ows
20:27 pm
FTR, there are at least 100 ppl here. Leo asks again if there are blocks. PoP: "I think even tho time is important, it's important we..."
20:27 pm
Cont'd: "...hear standasides." Stairs: "This is the first proposal of this GA. We have 9 agenda items tonight. I understand it's important..
20:28 pm
Cont'd: "...for everyone to have a voice, but part of the pt of standasides is you don't feel strongly enough against this proposal that.."
20:28 pm
Cont'd: "...you're going to block it. So, in respect to everyone's time, and respect to all the proposers' time, I'm going to ask we..."
20:28 pm
Cont'd: "...not hear the standasides, but move along trying to complete consensus process." #nycga #ows
20:30 pm
Someone asks if everyone in favor was here for the raid: George: "I'm really in favor of this! I snuck into the park during the raid..."
20:30 pm
Cont'd: "...and locked down in the kitchen! My neck was sliced open a couple inches from my jugular. And I'll do it again!" #nycga
20:31 pm
One block. "I'm blocking b/c the same land y'all wanna go occupy, we have members there already doing a hunger strike..." #nycga
20:31 pm
Cont'd: "...getting locked up 3, 4 times a day in the same land." Thinks NYPD will keep doing it, wants to reoccupy Zuccotti. #nycga #ows
20:32 pm
A: "The hunger strikers are part of a strategy we've been using to occupy that space. Why not Zuccotti? Look at those barricades..."#nycga
20:32 pm
A cont'd: "..and second, we are occupying liberty." Leo respects his concerns, asks if response satisfies the block. #nycga #ows
20:33 pm
Blocker holds his block "until we get an understanding of my block." DA: "This action does not mean that another group may try to..."
20:33 pm
Cont'd: "..take back Liberty. We've been planning this occupation since raid; it was meant to be a second occupation." #nycga
20:33 pm
Cont'd: "The only reason ppl are concerned is the raid happened. But the raid proves that the powers that be do not want us to have space!"
20:33 pm
A cont'd: "And this space is to prove that we will not be silenced! and once we get it, we'll plan to take *this* space! And every space!"
20:34 pm
A cont'd: "...and OCCUPY EVERYTHING!" CHEERS! Leo asks again if he will remove his block. "How many blocks we have?" he asks. #nycga #ows
20:34 pm
He's holding his block, so we're moving to modified consensus. "This means the consensus process has broken down, and we're now..." #nycga
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "...going to take a vote that requires 9/10ths consensus. If fewer than 1/10th of the ppl here are against the proposal..."
20:35 pm
Cont'd :"...then it passes. We now need to count all the ppl that are part of this GA." Getting headcount now. #nycga #ows
20:38 pm
94 heads counted. "That means we need more than 9 ppl against this for it not to pass." Asks for no votes to raise hands. #nycga #ows
20:40 pm
Leo: "I see 4 hands. I want to be really clear w/ what we're doing here. We're taking a vote of who is against this proposal." #nycga #ows
20:40 pm
Leo: "What we require is 9/10ths consensus, which includes ppl who are for the proposal and ppl who are standing aside." #nycga #ows
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "The 1/10th is ppl who are against the proposal. We want to make sure we hear those voice." #nycga #ows
20:42 pm
Leo: "I see 7 hands, fewer than the 9 we require under modified consensus." Chaim is trying to interfere, we're chanting ALL DAY, ALL WEEK.
20:43 pm
Leo: "I understand when we go to modified consensus, it's frustrating b/c it means consensus process has broken down. But we.." #nycga #ows
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "...want to respect the positive feelings of many here, and that other ppl here came w/ proposals." #nycga #ows
20:44 pm
Leo: "Thanks for your patience. Moving to next proposal." Chaim is throwing a temper tantrum. #nycga #ows
20:45 pm
Chaim: "I'm going to leave this movement if you don't hear my block!" Massive cheers for that one. "I'm glad to leave now." #nycga #ows
20:45 pm
Chaim: "You're risking lives ndlessly and potentially promoting *death*!" Wow, Chain Unhinged right now. "My name is life and I am leaving!"
20:46 pm
Leo: "There's a lot of frustration that we're all expressing right now. We really want to expect everyone's time and I'd appreciate it..."
20:47 pm
Cont'd: "...if we were most patient towards the ppl who are most frustrated. I hear Chaim is frustrated with how I responded to.."
20:47 pm
Cont'd: "...his block. I also hear that many of you are frustrated with how Chaim has taken over this meeting." #nycga #ows
20:47 pm
Leo suggests he and Chaim should speak aside while Negesti facilitates. "I promise this isn't to move you out of space." #nycga #ows
20:48 pm
Chaim is demanding we "revote" because he wasn't here for the blocks period. #nycga #ows
20:49 pm
Sage says, was there a time for blocks to be heard? "Yes," we cry. "Did other blockers speak?" "Yes," we answer. #nycga #ows
20:49 pm
Leo: "This GA is going to move on to the next proposal, coming from the Constitution Working Group. We have provided a 30 minute..." #nycga
20:50 pm
Cont'd: "..for this proposal." Notes first one lasted way longer. "It's up to you to decide how we proceed." #nycga #ows
20:52 pm
OK, it's Bob from Constitution WG! Their proposal is 7 parts. "The 1st part addresses the bailouts of private corporations and foreign..."
20:52 pm
Cont'd: "...countries, which are violations of our constitution." If they pass, we'll post them on Occupytheconstitution.org. #nycga #ows
20:55 pm
These aren't "garden-variety petitions", they say. "The government will have to answer them" or we'll take "peaceful action." #nycga #ows
20:56 pm
"All 7 petitions, including on the bailout, has been posted at Occupytheconstitution.org and nycga.net." #nycga #ows
20:57 pm
First proposal seeks repeal of EES Act (bailouts) and "instructing gov't to apologize for violating the constitution", undo swap agreements.
21:01 pm
CQ: "What's a 'foreign country' and why, in a global economy run by the dollar, shouldn't our dollar be involved in other countries' govts?"
21:01 pm
A: "That may be noble, but those other countries' currencies are failing." #nycga #ows
21:02 pm
CQ: "What part of Constitution bans this practice?" A: "It's not mentioned, but if states didn't give the power, gov't doesn't have it."
21:02 pm
A cont'd: "Also, these currency swaps did not receive Congressional approval." #nycga #ows
21:03 pm
CQ: "Given the ongoing process of #OWS making goals/demands, can't this be seen as co-opting this process?" #nycga #ows
21:04 pm
A: "This isn't a demand; it's an instruction." CQ: "Many ppl here believe our government is a government of cololization..." #nycga #ows
21:04 pm
Cont'd: "...and that the Constitution is illegitimate. How does this intersect with their perspectives?" #nycga #ows
21:05 pm
A: "There is a process to amend or abolish the constitution. If you want to do this, go for it." #nycga #ows
21:05 pm
CQ: "So, knowing that there are already organizations working on constitutional amendments, why #OWS? Why not go thru them?" #nycga #ows
21:05 pm
A: "This is about defending the Constitution we now have, not amending it. All our lives will improve." #nycga #ows
21:06 pm
CQ: "This proposal is 28 pages long. I understand now that you're just proposing 1 of the 7 petitions, but I wonder how many ppl here..."
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "...have read this and considered it. Individuals can also sign; why isn't this sufficient?" A: "Individuals and small grps..."
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "...can't prevail. It takes millions of ppl." CQ: "You said 'their' currency. If you make this a nationalistic thing, don't you..."
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "...see you're selling out our whole movement?" A: "The Constitution is not a menu; if you allow them to violate one part, you..."
21:09 pm
Cont'd: "...allow them to violate the whole thing." Someone is burning a dollar. "This is what we think of 'our' currency." #nycga #ows
21:09 pm
CQ: "I don't understand; you're saying this isn't a demand, but you're demanding the government repeals these things." #nycga
21:10 pm
A: "It's not a demand; it's an instruction. A demand is usually a threat. The first amendment provides for this." #nycga #ows
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "If they're violating the Constitution, we can call them on it; they're obligated to respond." #nycga #ows
21:11 pm
CQ: "Are you an independent group or do you align with #OWS? And why did you choose these 7 points out of many others?" #nycga #ows
21:11 pm
A: "We are independent; I came down here 10/8 after seeing CNN at 9:00. The host was interviewing 3 ppl in 20s who had participated in..."
21:12 pm
Cont'd: "...Occupy Atlanta. He asked them, 'what are you trying to do?' They said, 'fix the system.' He said 'how?' They had no solution."
21:12 pm
Cont'd: "I drove down 4 hours to give the Constitution a voice here; they said start a working group, so we did." #nycga #ows
21:13 pm
Cont'd: "At 1st meeting of Constitution WG, at Charlotte's Place, we asked the 7 attendees what their grievances were." #nycga #ows
21:13 pm
Cont'd: "These petitions address them." "And the other purpose is to show how Constitution can be used to help the 99%." #nycga #ows
21:14 pm
Leo notes we're at 20 of 30 allocated minutes, when we get to 30 we'll check to see if we want to give more time. #nycga #ows
21:15 pm
CQ: "What makes us qualified to address this very technical proposal? I just don't know enough about it." A: "We've made 20 trips..."
21:15 pm
Cont'd: "...down here from Lake George. We distributed 100s of copies, participated in conference calls, had teach-ins." #nycga #ows
21:15 pm
Now, concerns. "My concern is that you might be co-opting the #OWS movement for Tea Party purposes. And specifically, under section.."
21:16 pm
Cont'd: "...5, public education, there's a whole part here that requires a daily salute to the flag and a pledge of allegience." #nycga #ows
21:17 pm
Cont'd: "I have concerns b/c nationalism leads to fascism. I never said the pledge of allegience." #nycga #ows
21:17 pm
Stairs notes that's about a different petition we're not discussing tonight. A: "We're not a part of any Tea Party grp, but the bailouts..."
21:18 pm
Cont'd: "...interest them too." CQ: "You said you're hving a press conference once these are signed?" A: "No, we'll work w/ media/PR."#nycga
21:18 pm
A: "Also, Thursday is the anniversary of signing the constitution." CQ: "When you speak to press, will they be aware of your other..."
21:18 pm
Cont'd: "...websites and what you've written on them? My concern is the things that you state specifically against Obama's birth..."
21:19 pm
Cont'd: "...certificate will be taken to represent us." A: "Many of us have done things before that don't concern their involvement in..."
21:19 pm
Cont'd: "...this movement." CQ: "My concern is this doesn't represent us at all. You took 2 pages out in newspapers against..."
21:20 pm
Cont'd: "...President Obama's birth certificate." Stairs notes the concerns should relate to proposal and not be a back and forth. #nycga
21:20 pm
Next Concern: "Right now they're saying they're instructing the government to end bailouts; doing so recognizes them..."
21:21 pm
Cont'd: "...and says they're causing the problem; they're not." Also, Constitution says a black person is 3/5ths human... #nycga #ows
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "This movement is an international movement and this does not represent us." #nycga #ows
21:23 pm
A: "It's true that there was slavery in the 1780s; it's also true that the Constitution says "all men are created equal." #nycga #ows
21:24 pm
A cont'd: "In 1836, the right to petition for redress was followed; the southern congressman prevailed in congress; they did not want..."
21:24 pm
Cont'd: "...petitions to come from abolitionists, so they passed a gag rule against them." First time petitions ignored, he says #nycga #ows
21:24 pm
A cont'd: "It's been downhill since then." Also, "re: this being an international movement, ppl all over the world wish..." #nycga #ows
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "...they had a constitution such as hours." We've hit 30 minutes; Stairs asks if we want more time. #nycga #ows
21:25 pm
Temp checking continuing. "It's very mixed." We'll hear 4 of the 8 concerns on stack and then table the proposal. #nycga #ows
21:26 pm
Next C: "My C is about this idea I've heard over and over doesn't hv a response or know what we want. We do; the only problem is..."
21:26 pm
Cont'd: "...we are from all walks of life, and we need to put it all together. That is not an excuse for you to push this through." #nycga
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "Occupy has a lot of ppl who've never organized together. That's why it's difficult to boil down. But we have our agenda..." #nycga
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "...and we're moving forward." Proposer says they're following the process. "No, about the ppl on the TV- this is why." #nycga #ows
21:28 pm
Next C: "RE: communication/messaging, and the manner in which you're addressing us. 2 constitutencies here: courts, lawyers..." #nycga #ows
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "...congress, etc. That should be legalistic. But we don't speak that language. You should rewrite for us." #nycga #ows
21:29 pm
CQ: "I want to thank you - for your hard work for what you believe in, and respecting rules of occupation. My second concern isn't..."#nycga
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "...about you, but about us." Sees distrust. "I'm a citizen of the world first, but I'm also a citizen of this country". Wants...
21:30 pm
Cont'd: ...us to respect them even if "we don't agree w/ their politics." Notes he worked very hard to put Obama in office. #nycga #ows
21:30 pm
A: "The violations of the Constitution have crossed all parties, administrations, branches of gov't. Not directed at specific President."
21:31 pm
Concern: "When the Const was made, it was made w/in oppressive systems. Focusing on this, as a movement focusing on other structures.."
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "...might take away from our energy to build new ones." #nycga #ows
21:31 pm
Nan's Concern: "After this passed, what are you planning on doing? What's the next step?" A: "The steps are after consensus, it gets..."
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "..posted for signatures." Will turn switch and begin accepting those signatures. "When receives 9 mil signatures..." #nycga #ows
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "...it will then be served on every member of congress and the President and instructs them to respond w/in..."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "...40 days to respond in good faith." If they don't, they also interpret Constitution as giving them authority to act. #nycga #ows
21:33 pm
Leo: "OK, thanks. We're moving onto the next agenda item from Library." Reviews that since we exceeded 30 minutes, and GA didn't... #nycga
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "...want to hear more, so we're tabling it for a future GA." #nycga #ows
21:34 pm
Library WG! "I'm Frances! From the people's library, which used to be right over there. It was so beautiful." #nycga #ows
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "We're asking the GA for money to replace bins, rebuild Library at Duarte on the 17th!" #nycga #ows
21:35 pm
They'll get as many donations as they can and use responsible products, all surplus will go to GA. #nycga #ows
21:36 pm
It's also for the mobile library to be built. I think it was $800? #nycga #ows
21:36 pm
CQ: "Will you have comic books?" A: "We already have comic books!" #nycga #ows
21:37 pm
Leo notes there's a lot of positive feelings! Concerns? No. Friendly Amendments? No. #nycga #ows
21:38 pm
FA: "None of the money be used to purchase Frank Miller Comic Books." LULZ! A: "All our books are donated." #nycga #ows
21:39 pm
Closing stack for FAs; temp checking! "Looks like you've got super-consenseus," Anthony (not Stairs) says. #nycga #ows
21:39 pm
Any blocks? No blocks! YAYYYY "We love you Library!" #nycga #ows
21:40 pm
Next proposal from Think Tank! "This is the first time we've ever asked for anything! We hold a space in LibSq every day 12-6pm for open.."
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "...facilitated conversation about goals and dreams of #OWS." We're all welcome! "It's also a space where the curious..."
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "...general public can get involved." They want funds to go mobile! "We want to bring these open discussions to the 5 boros." #nycga
21:41 pm
In order to do this, they want $580.37, or something. "Our original budget was over $2000, but we've had many items donated." #nycga #ows
21:41 pm
"It covers blankets, dry erase boards and markers, etc." Priced at Staples but will source from local distributors if can. #nycga #ows
21:42 pm
"Dry erase board, $27+tax times 5. Marker, 22 for 5. Eraser, $16.30 for 5. Easel, $30/each." #nycga #ows
21:42 pm
I can't get all the details w/o ppl's mic, but you can find the detailed proposal at nycga.net #nycga #ows
21:43 pm
"We got $1,000 worth of supplies donated." Nan asks if they can get blankets (for sitting) from SIS. "Good idea!" #nycga #ows
21:43 pm
CQ: Nan asks if they can try to get blankets from SIS, and remove that from budget for time being. Will be an FA later. #nycga #ows
21:45 pm
No more CQs, concerns: no concerns! One FA from Nan to sub in blankets from Comfort if they have them and are suitable. #nycga #ows
21:45 pm
Stairs: "We're going to close stack on FAs; restate the proposal w/ them?" A: "Dollar amount is $580.37, minus abt $45 for blankets." #nycga
21:46 pm
Temp-checking proposal: "Looks good! Are there any blocks?" No standasides and no blocks! "We have consensus!" Woooo! #nycga #ows
21:47 pm
Next, Visions and Goals w/ a 3-minute intro, then discussion. "I appreciate everyone's patience; I know this is long," Stairs says. #nycga
21:48 pm
Visions and Goals: "We have another version of our vision statement! We've been working on this for months! We've been bringing it to..."
21:48 pm
Cont'd: "...you guys for weeks! We want more feedback." We'll read, then spend 10 mins talking about what we like and don't like! #nycga
21:50 pm
On their website, you can even rewrite the whole thing w/ a fancy survey! nycga.net/groups/vision-and-goals/forum/ #nycga #ows
21:50 pm
On Saturday, V&G will collect feedback, work on Sunday at meeting to come up with document "we feel confident about." #nycga #ows
21:50 pm
Cont'd: "Then we'll bring it to GA sunday, Spokes monday, we'll be asking at Tuesday's GA if we feel ready to start consensus process."
22:00 pm
OK we're back! Next, Occupy Farms! "We hope to spend 20 minutes on this agenda item." #nycga #ows
22:01 pm
"It's too late, and there's not many ppl, and it's a lot of money, and been re-proposed a lot, so in the interest of making sure it's..."
22:01 pm
Cont'd: "...inclusive, so we're going to table it and bring it back. But we've started conversing w/ people who own farms..."
22:02 pm
Cont'd: "...it's started w/ one farm, but now many have gotten in touch. We want to farm, and do permaculture stuff..." #nycga #ows
22:02 pm
Cont'd: "We just need some money to get us started. But as we've said, it's late, and there's not a lot of people, so we'll bring it back."
22:03 pm
Leo: "As a facilitator, I do really appreciate when presenters notice what's going on in the GA and act in good faith. Thank you."#nycga
22:03 pm
Next, an emergency proposal from Daryl. We'll hear about it, and then discuss whether it meets the emergency proposal definition...
22:04 pm
...which is that "it has an external, immediate deadline that was not previously knowable." #nycga #ows
22:04 pm
Daryl: "This week, the Senate passed the NDAA, which categorizes civil disobedience as terrorism and allows for indefinite detention..."
22:05 pm
Cont'd: "...with no process. It empowers military to operate at home, which is illegal. It also allows for detention with no process."#nycga
22:05 pm
Last, "it violates the first amendment." The only thing standing between it, he says, is an Obama veto. #nycga #ows
22:05 pm
"We call on Barack Obama to defend the constitution and follow through on his promise to veto." #nycga #ows
22:06 pm
"We also vow that anyone who supports this unconstitutional bill will be voted out of office next cycle." #nycga #ows
22:06 pm
Daryl: "This comes from a group that wants GA buy-in on this, but I wrote this as something I would propose." #nycga #ows
22:07 pm
So, we'll tempcheck whether it's a valid emergency. There's a CQ tho: "Where's the bill currently sitting?" A: "It's on Obama's desk."#nycga
22:07 pm
CQ: "What happens if there's a 24-hour delay for this to be a regular proposal, and how is it unforeseeable?" #nycga #ows
22:07 pm
A: "This came thru Friday; to get this to press release form, it's now or never." #nycga #ows
22:08 pm
A: "If we waited until Thursday, we don't know if he'll sign it in the meantime." #nycga #ows
22:08 pm
Robert's still not convinced. CQ: "Is there specific language regarding civ dis in law itself?" A: "It's pretty vague; it says that under...
22:09 pm
Cont'd: "..the suspicion of plotting terrorist acts," and we've been called terrorists already (low-level). "This is directed at us." #nycga
22:09 pm
PoI: "There was a CQ about the process; good question, but at this point it becomes pedantic. It's urgent b/c it's literally on the..."
22:09 pm
Cont'd: "...President's desk, and this is the last chance to stop it." Leo will temp check the e-proposal; Robert says he'll stand aside.
22:11 pm
OK, we'll hear it! CQ stack opens. CQ: "Is that the statement we'd release?" A: "We can change the language." #nycga #ows
22:12 pm
He'll repeat. The gist is that this bill would allow them to detain us, military to act on american soil, and and silence us. #nycga #ows
22:13 pm
Someone: "Regardless of whether he signs this veto, the fact they evn suggested it is a fucking disaster, b/c it's already in effect."#nycga
22:14 pm
"Don't lose faith if he does sign it. Don't lose faith, that's what I'm saying." "Occupy the White House!" #nycga #ows
22:14 pm
CQ: "Are you aware these are the exact reasons we made the Declaration of Independence?" Suggests he mention that. #nycga #ows
22:15 pm
Next CQ: "I'm not a lawyer or a legal scholar; would you have chance to work on this w/ someone who knows law to make sure correct?" #nycga
22:16 pm
Closing stack on CQs, now Concerns. C: "Daryl, I applaud you and thank you for bringing this to our attention. My concern is specifically.."
22:16 pm
Cont'd: "...in regards to tactics of asking President; he may use this as bargaining chip to make "friends with the movement." #nycga
22:16 pm
Cont'd: "Maybe we can make a FA to make it equally strong w/o 'asking', and just 'insisting' it's the right thing to do." #nycga #ows
22:17 pm
Cont'd: "Remind him of his duties, instead of coming up w/ a demand as we've discussed many times here." #nycga #ows
22:17 pm
A: "Yeah, to be honest with you, that's where I expected to get pushback. Not sure how to do it w/o going back to his inaugural oath."#nycga
22:19 pm
A cont'd: "I'm open to suggestions, but I don't really see anything that's still appropriate but less 'asky'." #nycga #ows
22:19 pm
Concern: "Concern w/ "American democracy" language and threat to vote ppl out (commits us to electoral system participation)." #nycga
22:20 pm
Leo notes the only beef is w/ language. Robert suggests we table for wordsmithing, then bring it back, but we're gonna use FAs for that.
22:20 pm
FA: "A group that might do well w/ this is the ACLU; maybe they can help us come up w/ the language we're looking for." #nycga #ows
22:21 pm
A: "I'll call them tomorrow morning. I wouldn't mind tightening it up w/ someone who intimately understands the Constitution." #nycga #ows
22:21 pm
FA: "Let's use Declaration of Independence as leverage; it's in the spirit of Occupy Wall Street." #nycga #ows
22:22 pm
PoI: "Re: legal counsel; the People's Library is in pretty close communication w/ Norman Siegel and I can prolly put you in touch w/ him."
22:25 pm
OK, we're tabling that so he can work w/ lawyers on language. Next proposal, folks who are distributing information around city. #nycga #ows
22:26 pm
The proposal is for a cargo bike to help them, which is $1,354.41 and they want $1500 total for lock and a table. #nycga #ows
22:26 pm
The bike comes from a local manufacturer in Queens. CQ: "What kind of lock?" A: "We don't know." Kryptonite is suggested. #nycga #ows
22:27 pm
Robert wants to make sure they budget for the best lock they can get. A: "We found some on CL for less than 80." "Good, don't skimp." #nycga
22:27 pm
CQ: "Are you including OWS literature, like the OWSJ or statements from OWS?" A: "We haven't been carrying the journal; we want to." #nycga
22:27 pm
A: "We distributed a lot of copies of the #OWS Poetry pamphlet; also distributing like-minded publications consisted w/ principles of #OWS."
22:29 pm
CQ: Chris wants to know if they can spend less money by using office printers. A: "We're not asking for $ for printing." #nycga #ows
22:30 pm
CQ/PoI: "Am I right that we currently have about $350,000?" Yeah, that should be about right. #nycga #ows
22:30 pm
CQ: "So you plan to use this bike thru the winter? Is the weather any concern w/ this bike? Is it weather-ready?" #nycga #ows
22:31 pm
A: "Yeah, it'll work in all weather. As long as the person riding it is dressed suitably. But we're not asking for money for that." #nycga
22:32 pm
Someone asks if they're working w/ other groups; they are working with Time's Up. Nan wants to know if they can get it cheaper.
22:33 pm
A: "That's the best; they rly make the best bikes of that size and are local. We can have the bike tomorrow." CQ: "Where'll you store it?"
22:34 pm
A: "We'll lock it on the street." Nan's Concern is they're going to lock it on the street. "I'm from Florida, but we're in New York..."
22:34 pm
Cont'd: "...so I have to be real: people steal." Suggests they store the bike in office b/c they don't want to waste $1,300. #nycga #ows
22:35 pm
Nan also suggests they could get a motorcycle. Robert: "They cost a lot more; we lock them up the same way." #nycga #ows
22:35 pm
Someone's FA: get receipts. "Of course." #nycga #ows
22:36 pm
Nan's FA: "Can you try to store it somewhere else?" A: "We will look into storing it in a more secure location." #nycga #ows
22:36 pm
FA: "Can you make space for donated books on the bike, for Library?" A: "Yes!" FA: "I want to ride the bike!" Haah. #nycga
22:36 pm
No more FAs; reviewing: "We want to acquire the cargo bike, a lock for bike, a lock for box on bike and table." FAs: "Finding secure..."
22:37 pm
Cont'd: "..location for bike storage, letting Stephen ride the bike, and we'll have room on the bike to receive books. And receipts!" #nycga
22:38 pm
OK! Any blocks? No! "We've reached consensus on this proposal!" Yay consensus! #nycga #ows
22:38 pm
Leo: "At this point, we have some unfinished business for Daryl's proposal." They're smithing over there... #nycga #ows
22:39 pm
Leo: "We're going to hear Daryl's revised language, and then there were 3 FAs we hadn't heard, so we'll try to get those." #nycga #ows
22:39 pm
Daryl: "The only thing we really changed was we changed "as it stands the only hope for American democracy" to "as it stands the best hope..
22:40 pm
Cont'd: "...for continuation of our civil liberties". They were having a hard part settling on revision to last part, they want us to keep..
22:40 pm
Cont'd: ..hounding on this w/ threat to remove ppl from office. "It's bipartisan; Karl Leven is a democrat." #nycga #ows
22:41 pm
Daryl: "I was going w/ something like, 'any congress person who would, uh, light the constitution on fire - I don't know.' it's tough."
22:42 pm
Daryl cont'd: "If you want, I'll post a Google Doc; you'll have to check tomorrow morning." #nycga #ows
22:42 pm
OK, more FAs. 1: "You should just address it to President and leave Congress out, since they already passed it, and you're asking..."
22:43 pm
Cont'd: "...him to stay true to his promise." A: "Yeah, but we want to focus everyone on fact that these mofos don't give a rat's ass..."
22:43 pm
Cont'd: "...about the Constitution, and they've got to go." "I like *that* language," someone says. #nycga #ows
22:44 pm
A: "I really want to say something to Congress." PoI: "We discussed this in breakout; maybe we can speak generally 'those responsible..."
22:46 pm
Cont'd: "...will be held accountable." FA: "Let's leave Congress out; we can express that it's troubling that it got to Obama's desk..."
22:54 pm
Circling back around! GA about to end, last segment. #nycga #ows
22:54 pm
Cont'd: "...plus, we can't commit to electoral involvement." A: "I agree, we shouldn't talk about voting; might be "we will hold Congress...
22:54 pm
Cont'd: "..and anyone who votes against the Constitution accountable." #nycga #ows
22:55 pm
FA: "This GA should consent on everything but the last graph, and we work on last paragraph over next 2 days, bring back Thursday..."
22:55 pm
Cont'd: "...to attach to the document." He'll commit to working on it; it's incredibly important that when we speak to powers that be...
22:55 pm
Cont'd: ...we get this right. A: "I really want to set us up for elections in 2012 and want to kick the bums out." #nycga #ows
22:55 pm
PoP: "We're out of process, so can I say something out of process?" Leo agrees, not sure how to go fwd, not comfortable empowering...
22:56 pm
Cont'd: ...someone else to fix the language. Next: "What's important is making ourselves clear about bill on Obama's desk." #nycga #ows
22:56 pm
Next: "What you said about setting us up for 2012, that's exactly why I want to cut this idea. That's a bigger conversation we need to..."
22:56 pm
Cont'd: "...have, and we cannot do it right now, and it's not immediately important." #nycga #ows
22:56 pm
Daryl concedes; he'll cut the last part. One FA says he means to also cut the President from it, not Congress. #nycga #ows
22:57 pm
Leo recognizes 2 more FAs; says he's not sure how to continue w/ this. #nycga #ows
22:57 pm
Nan suggests they table it and work on it for next GA; he says again, there's not time. #nycga #ows
22:58 pm
Kevin notes that reports are that Obama specifically asked for this language to be included in the bill just for our info. #nycga #ows
22:58 pm
Someone wants to know if we still feel comfortable as a GA; there's no quorum, but like 15 ppl are still here. #nycga #ows
22:59 pm
Someone notes "there's a difference between whether we can or should." #nycga #ows
22:59 pm
FA: "I think you should just say what we really believe in as a group, because there will be thousands of appeals on this issue." #nycga
23:00 pm
Next FA: "There's a sentence, "nothing is more fascist than suppressing dissent" - I think that's questionable. The word is.... #nycga #ows
23:00 pm
Cont'd: "...a bit hyperbolic." A: "I'm not married to that sentence. We can drop if we want to." #nycga #ows
23:04 pm
So, he re-read the document. FA: "Let's run the analysis tht "This act labels civil disobedience and protest as acts of terrorism" by ACLU?"
23:05 pm
Leo trying to keep us focused to bring it home. Temp checking, w/ friendly amendment he speaks to legal before officializing! #nycga #ows
23:06 pm
"That looks pretty good!" The dude who was ranting about "politics you see and politics you don't see" earlier may block. #nycga #ows
23:07 pm
Daryl: "If I can't get a lawyer to review the language; I'll just use it as my statement. It wouldn't be officially my statement." #nycga
23:07 pm
Yay! #OWS reached consensus on our call for Obama to follow thru and veto NDAA pending legal analysis before release. #nycga #ows
23:10 pm
OK, that's it for GA! Thanks for reading fam. Questions/comments/feedback/threats,please hit me up @diceytroop for the post-show! <3 #OWS