19:47 pm
Hey fam! It's time for another #OWS Spokescouncil! Tonight's facilitators' Sully and Starhawk are introducing themselves. #nycsc #ows
19:47 pm
Starhawk: "I have to say, I'm proud of my friends back [west] who shut down the ports today." #nycsc #ows
19:48 pm
Starhawk: "W/ yr permission, I'd like to cofacilitate tonight w/ Sully. It's a privilege to be at #OWS, b/c you've inspired us and ppl…"
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "…all over the world w the amazing actions and things you've done." Says she has facilitated meetings for years and she may...
19:48 pm
Cont'd: …approach it differently than we do. "But I believe in a diversity of meeting styles. I'm not a facilitation monotheist; I don't..."
19:49 pm
Cont'd: "…think there's only one true way to run a meeting." Asks we let her know if she gets far off, but that we try to experiment with...
19:49 pm
Cont'd: …new ideas. "I believe our role of facilitator is a role of service. It may look sometimes like we have power, but that is only..."
19:49 pm
Cont'd: "…loaned to us by this group. We are the waiter - we don't eat the meal, we just serve up courses. We may suggest sometimes…"
19:50 pm
Cont'd: "…a special if it's on the menu! And at the end we clear the dishes." Sully notes there's not much planned for the agenda, but...
19:50 pm
Cont'd: …they have some ideas for a structure we can use to generate the agenda together. #nycsc #ows
19:50 pm
Sully invites us to use an assembly style (rather than spokes style) to get people's concerns and needs on the table. #nycsc #ows
19:50 pm
Cont'd: "And after that, I thought we'd go ahead and have a fuller stack open for working group reportbacks, and if groups have very…"
19:51 pm
Cont'd: "…specific agenda items, they can lay them out at that time," then when we're done we'll take a look at what we have for an agenda.
19:51 pm
Starhawk: "We had a training this afternoon and talked a lot about agreements that will make spokescouncil work for everybody…"
19:51 pm
Cont'd: "…I also think part of our role as facilitators is to preserve fairness, so that everyone is heard." "We need a ground rule of..."
19:52 pm
Cont'd: "…intention that everyone here is here to make this work." Can we agree to that? I think we can. #nycsc #ows
19:52 pm
Cont'd: "We may not give you as long a fair hearing as you might like, but sometimes as facilitators its our unfortunate duty to…"
19:52 pm
Cont'd: "..cut folks off if they reach a time limit, but we'll try to do that as respectfully as possible." #nycsc #ows
19:53 pm
Starhawk shares with us that because she has hearing problems in her left ear, you'll need to speak to her right one. #nycsc #ows
19:53 pm
Cont'd: And she asks that we respect her disability and keep our voices at a normal tone. #nycsc #ows
19:53 pm
Starhawk: "Even tho I come from a culture where we have conversations by yelling and screaming all the time, in this space we…"
19:54 pm
Cont'd: "…need to keep it calm and gentle." We're going to move into General Assembly style dialogue. #nycsc #ows
19:54 pm
Cont'd: "And this is a time- a lot of ppl feel they're frustrated in the #Spokescouncil; not everyone gets to speak. So this is a time..."
19:54 pm
Cont'd: "…to open the floor to those concerns." Are we ready? We need a timekeeper. Timekeeper located! Bam! #nycsc #ows
19:56 pm
First, Negesti. "I have some ideas on how to make GA and spokescouncil work for everyone, and wanted to share w/ the group." #nycsc #ows
19:56 pm
Next: "We just got out of a great meeting where we talked a lot about -- vented about issues we were having w/ the movement…"
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "…and the spokescouncil, and it was a great relief." But one thing that came from it was, he wants to have a conversation about..
19:56 pm
Cont'd: ..codes of conduct, but we can't have that convo as long as people are disruptive. #nycsc #ows
19:57 pm
Andy continues, he's seen people he respects in movement take it on and get pushed back, but we know we need to act. #nycsc #ows
19:57 pm
Evan: "I think before we have that conversation, I think it's important that we separate need for individual voices, and talk about..."
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "…providing a space separate from this for that, and then in terms of getting back to convo about what "operations" is re: spokes...
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "…since it was supposed to be 'operations' of a park that we no longer have. And then, before we start talking about individuals..."
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "…and exclusion, I've seen exceptions to the behavior of some individuals and if we can get a sense of what the problem is…"
19:58 pm
Cont'd: "…and what the process is, some of these problems may fade into the woodwork." #nycsc #ows
19:59 pm
Ashley: "We had a very honest meeting earlier w/ Starhawk and a lot of ppl expressed their desire that this body maintains an authentic..."
19:59 pm
Cont'd: "…democracy, doesn't rob power from GA, and addressing issues of racism and classism and diversity are important and.."
19:59 pm
Cont'd: "…shouldn't be tossed aside if we want to move to next phase of this movement." Asks us not to be so hostile. #nycsc #ows
19:59 pm
Cont'd: "These people aren't going anywhere, so we have no choice but to address those concerns." #nycsc #ows
20:00 pm
Nan is next on stack. "First, I found out there was a meeting at 16 Beaver that most ppl who had no access to the Internet doesn't know.."
20:00 pm
Cont'd: "…about. let's be real here; I'm for the occupiers; most of the occupiers don't have a phone. And it was a private meeting - b/c..."
20:00 pm
Cont'd: "…most folks weren't known or informed." She was told by someone at Charlotte's place. #nycsc #ows
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "With that in mind, whatever you guys try to do, I'm letting you know right now, if you're looking for a riot, I'm about to give..."
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "…you guys one. Who are you to marginalize who's in this movement who's not? I want to see SC dissolve. That's how strongly..."
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "…I feel. I'm tired of seeing you pick and choose; this is not a popularity contest." #nycsc #ows
20:01 pm
Cont'd: "We are the people. Get it in your head." #nycsc #ows
20:02 pm
Next: "I want to actually keep focused on everyone that this is an international movement, so if we can keep our ideas grand and large…"
20:02 pm
Cont'd: "…and not get confused by smaller arguments that maybe should be had on the side -- please keep our ideas very large. This…" #nycsc
20:02 pm
Cont'd: "…is a world-wide movement to change the world." #nycsc #ows
20:02 pm
Sully notes that since we set a limit of 15 minutes for this, folks who have things they need to say can get on next stack (reportbacks).
20:03 pm
Carrie: "I think it's really important that we express solidarity w/ our friends who were arrested this morning for tweeting, reporting.."
20:03 pm
Cont'd: "…and using their rights." Sounds like they won't get out til tomorrow. "So, #solidarity w/ our friends in jail." #nycsc #ows
20:03 pm
Next: "There's a lot fewer people here than there once were; what is it that's driving people away? It's not racism or sexism to say..."
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "..I deserve respect. As a survivor of racism and sexism I know what that feels like, but I also see people using those things..."
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "…who have no interest in this movement succeeding who use them to divide us." Thankful Starhawk is here. #nycsc #ows
20:04 pm
Jason: "I was outside, I heard someone say something about how because it was the operational spokescouncil, we don't have a part…"
20:05 pm
Cont'd: Jason explains that they are preparing to house about 400 people. "I don't think it makes sense to switch our whole structure..."
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "…every time we have an emergency." Just because we lost part doesn't mean we need to make a major shift re: Spokescouncil. #nycsc
20:05 pm
Jason looked at a place that can take 190 people today; not sure it will work, but it's on 160th Street. Also a meeting space. #nycsc #ows
20:06 pm
Sully notes that there's a concern about filming. Razor notes that we've all been being filmed for a documentary. #nycsc #ows
20:06 pm
Razor: "If you're filming for a media, you still need consent, but you're content-neutral. If you're filming for a documentary, you need…"
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "…to get consent." Notes that many people may not want to be filmed and "we won't be a community allied with marginalized…"
20:07 pm
Cont'd: "…people if we can't accommodate" people who don't want to be filmed. #nycsc #ows
20:08 pm
Starhawk took temp check on filming for a documentary, said it seemed like a small number, but Razor objected. #nycsc #ows
20:09 pm
Starhawk says she saw 4 or 5 hands that didn't want to be filmed. Someone from media notes it's for security; same reasons we've filmed...
20:09 pm
Cont'd: …the past few months. Trish: "In response to issue of filming, live streaming, a documentary -legally you cannot do a documentary.."
20:09 pm
Cont'd: "…without getting a release." Tess notes if it's filmed in public… Trish interrupts. "I don't like the fact we're being filmed..."
20:10 pm
Cont'd: "…at all. Don't be stupid; NYPD intelligence is all over us. Think! Think strategically! Shit!" #nycsc #ows
20:10 pm
Sully recognizes several other points of information. Starhawk notes we need to also get on to point of the meeting. #nycsc #ows
20:11 pm
Starhawk asks a filmer to put it away just while folks are having this discussion; Media person feels it's arbitrary. #nycsc #ows
20:11 pm
Sage: "I object to this person being bullied by half the group; if we're going to pressure someone to turn their camera off it needs to be..
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "…by consensus." Starhawk notes we're trying to build a movement that will be safe for us. "Some of us want to take pictures..."
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "…some of us don't want to be filmed." Suggests we can arrange room so that folks who don't want to be filmed won't be. #nycsc
20:13 pm
Trish: "We're occupiers. We're not extras." Starhawk acknowledges that some ppl don't want to be used for other ppl's purposes. #nycsc #ows
20:13 pm
Ashley points out that filmer is an occupier. Starhawk reminds us that we have standards of not shouting people down, to act...
20:13 pm
Cont'd: "…intentionally, and to make this work for people here." Starhawk notes that most folks did not express concerns about being filmed.
20:14 pm
Starhawk: "I believe that part of our consent here is to be able to compromise and work this stuff out." We're all smart and capable...
20:14 pm
Cont'd: "How do we let ppl film and show ppl what's going on here, which is important, and make sure ppl who don't feel safe being.."
20:14 pm
Cont'd: "…filmed don't have to be filmed." Starhawk suggests that people move outside of range of camera, to west side of room, if they...
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "…don't want to be filmed." Tess has a PoI: "I don't know if this qualifies b/c it's indoors, but anything filmed in public for..."
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "…documentary purposes, there's no release needed." People agree that's true, Trish vehemently disagrees. #nycsc #ows
20:16 pm
Tess is pulling up the proof for Trish. "2nd point of information… I literally have never spoken here at one of these things. Let me finish.
20:16 pm
Cont'd: Trish balks at that. Tess: "That's not true? I literally have never spoken before." "2ndly, this is a transparent movement. This..."
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "…movement is about connecting ppl; part of what livestream does is it lets people who are not able to be here know what's…"
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "…going on. It's brought in a lot of donations and energy. If we're worried about privacy, we can deal with that as it comes up."
20:17 pm
Cont'd: "…but livestream has been here since day 1 and it's an integral part of this movement." #nycsc #ows
20:17 pm
Sully notes that we were trying to do something else here before Trish derailed it. Someone notes when Tess addressed her issue...
20:18 pm
Cont'd: Trish stopped listening. "You cannot state you have a problem, and then when someone addresses it, you're not listening."
20:18 pm
Cont'd: "…and then you state that they didn't address it." "This is a constant thing." Standing ovation for that comment to Trish. #nycsc
20:18 pm
Next: "I agree with her; it's a public space and the law says we do have the right to film if it's a public space. If it was in a.." #nycsc
20:19 pm
Cont'd: "..government building or structure such as Senate or Congress then we'd all agree that it's public and they have the right to.."
20:19 pm
Cont'd: "…film. That's following the law; I'm not sure what your public feelings are." #nycsc #ows
20:19 pm
Next, PoI: "I personally have no problem w/ livestream. Livestream is us controlling our own media, and we could do a much better…"
20:19 pm
Cont'd: "…job of that, so livestream I think is a great great thing. Independent filmmaking is a business." #nycsc #ows
20:20 pm
Cont'd: "Documentary filmmaking is a business. Now, whether it's profitable or not is another thing. Michael Moore makes some money."
20:20 pm
Cont'd: He notes it's a simple issue about getting releases for commercial use. "They want it so they can make money." #nycsc #ows
20:20 pm
PoP: "This is a point of process about that point of information; a point of information shouldn't start with "I believe". #nycsc #ows
20:21 pm
Razor: "That gentleman is correct. Livestream is fine. OK? Livestream is a completely different process. Independent filmmaking is..."
20:21 pm
Cont'd: "…a capitalist business. If you don't know, that's OK, but you should talk to people involved in the business." #nycsc #ows
20:22 pm
Cont'd: She takes issue w/ the documentary film being filmed under the pretense of a working group. "That's a position of power." #nycsc
20:22 pm
Razor also notes that the most marginalized should not have to move to the side of the room, "pushed to the side." #nycsc
20:23 pm
Razor asserts that GA and Spokes are going to be part of a documentary we're all in without consent and that's fucked up. #nycsc #ows
20:23 pm
Marlena feels like if we had clarity about the point of the film, it might simplify the discussion. Filmer says first of all, cameras have..
20:23 pm
Cont'd: ..been around since day 1, are constantly present, but independent videography here is suddenly under scrutiny." #nycsc #ows
20:24 pm
Razor says she's lying. Starhawk: "I have to say really strongly, we're not here to call each other names or accuse each other of lying."
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "..we're here to listen to ea other in good faith." Starhawk asks Razor to take it back; Razor insists she's misinforming ppl.#nycsc
20:25 pm
Sage: "It's too bad we don't have a process so we can make decisions." Evan: "Oh, the irony!" Razor takes it as a comment about him tho.
20:26 pm
Starhawk breaks from facilitation tradition, and says she reserves the right to make a call like "if you don't want to be filmed, go to.."
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "…that side of the room." Razor says it's segregation, Ashley says facilitators don't have that type of power. #nycsc #ows
20:26 pm
Someone: "I think we all need to get in touch w/ why we're here to begin w/. It's not here to fight about little things." #nycsc #ows
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "I understand your concerns; I really do. But we're here because this is a bigger movement." #nycsc #ows
20:27 pm
Cont'd: "Right now, we're not facilitating the reasons why we came here. Please take it down and be respectful of everyone else here b/c..."
20:27 pm
Cont'd: "…I might leave and never come back." Trish says fine, he should go. #nycsc #ows
20:28 pm
Starhawk temp checks continuing with stack. Looks good. Matthew: "This is a great example that this happened now, and I wanted to address.."
20:29 pm
Cont'd: "…what the first brother said about issues of exclusion and all that." Feels we should put it all off until we have the… #nycsc
20:29 pm
Cont'd:.. anti-racism workshop on Friday. "We need to understand how it affects us, our behavior, and our organizing strategy of…"
20:30 pm
Cont'd: "…our whole occupy movement." Notes it started from upper end of 99%, and it may be flawed. "Not that it's horrible, but it's not.."
20:30 pm
Cont'd: "…a perfect model, and we're seeing the manifestations of that right here. So before we deal with individuals here, let's get..."
20:31 pm
Cont'd: "…the conceptual framework of how those issues proceed." George notes it's unbelievable that Ashley interrupted that. #nycsc
20:31 pm
Next: "These past few weeks have been hard, and I keep hearing the Spokescouncil's not empowered to make decisions- so let's empower..."
20:31 pm
Cont'd: "…the Spokescouncil right now!" Trish and Nan both yell her down. "Please respect the process b/c I respect you when you speak."
20:32 pm
She tries to take a temp check, but Sully notes that it's out of process and the proposal needs to be dealt with later on. #nycsc #ows
20:32 pm
She asks if it's on the agenda; Sully says he's been writing everything down as we went around. #nycsc #ows
20:34 pm
Sully: "Trish is next on stack." Evan: "How did that happen? Trish is a cop!" Loses his head, says some shit and walks out. #nycsc #ows
20:34 pm
It was strangely undramatic tho. Starhawk: "I want to remind ppl we have an agreement not to personally attack people, not to jump in..."
20:34 pm
Cont'd: "…and interrupt, and to respect the process." Trish is next: "Nobody's gonna throw anything are they? Anyway… so, I can't wait.."
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "…for this training that is on the agenda, b/c take it from me, I've been around the world and I know racism, sexism, classism..."
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "…when I see it. And I call a duck a duck. And you know who I'm talking about because we've looked in each others' eyes and.."
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "..understand each other. This movement is not for you, it's for the people!" #nycsc #ows
20:36 pm
Trish claims her GA Council "embodies the GA" so it can speak back against "the bullshit floating over its head." #nycsc #ows
20:37 pm
Trish just laid out a veritable enemies list. Media, Accounting, Livestream, Spokescouncil, Working Groups, @justinstoned. #nycsc #ows
20:37 pm
Nick: "I want to talk about accountability here, especially those that talk about marginalized voices. I'm a marginalized voice; I'm.."
20:37 pm
Cont'd: "…from the hood. Thing is, Trish says she calls a duck a duck; we say 'spade a spade', it is what it is." #nycsc #ows
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "When you speak for marginalized voices, you need to be careful not to speak for ppl who don't agree with you." #nycsc
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "There's ppl who grew up respecting the process; there's ppl like me who don't because it didn't matter." #nycsc #ows
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "I respect the differences. When I hear you call her uncle tom and she calls you bougie, that hurts me." #nycsc #ows
20:39 pm
Cont'd: "And when you raise issues of racism, you're speaking for everyone who looks like you, and some ppl who look like you don't agree."
20:39 pm
Nick says to Trish, he respects her passion but: "be careful. When you see yourself getting to that point, bring it down a bit." #nycsc #ows
20:39 pm
Cont'd: "…because not everyone understands the way we speak. Bring it down a little. Cool?" Trish: "No, it's not cool at all." #nycsc
20:39 pm
Next, Robert: "Re: upcoming events on 17th, somebody said something really liberating and beautiful: that some of the dissension that..."
20:40 pm
Cont'd: "…revolves around one word was all kind of made up. And it's good to be an occupier, b/c we're all occupiers. Who's an…" #nycsc #ows
20:40 pm
Cont'd: "…occupier here?" We all raise our hands. "Good! That's what I thought. I congratulate you all on your status as occupiers." #nycsc
20:40 pm
Ethan: "I want to build off of what Matt said earlier… I've been a part of so many conversations w/ ppl in the last few weeks, how do..."
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "…fix the problems we already have? And what I'm seeing is we need to start over, actually. And this is not to say that…" #nycsc
20:41 pm
Cont'd:" …personally, I feel abused in this space. I don't feel safe in these spaces very often. And I don't believe that we should..."
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "…be operating from a place of fear of folks who shout us down and interrupt is. But what I do see is we need to just start from..."
20:42 pm
Cont'd: "…a place of, how do we make a process that fits everyone's needs, instead of vice-versa? That's not going to work; we need buyin.."
20:42 pm
Cont'd: "..from everyone if it's going to work." Nods to Wednesday's (Wednesday's!) training as a starting place. #nycsc #ows
20:42 pm
Cont'd:"We're not going to dismantle oppressions if we can't respect each other." #nycsc #ows
20:43 pm
Info: "Re: secret meetings, this is an issue of concern for us. But we don't have a park. All these issues of exclusion…" #nycsc
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "…started after the park, and it's just that we're really busy. If you feel like ppl aren't communicating with you, please help.."
20:43 pm
Cont'd: "…look for a solution." Before you speak out, look for how you can help. #nycsc #ows
20:44 pm
Sage: "Re: timekeeping; my suggestion is that when ppl are speaking, each section is given an allotment of time, and when you sense.."
20:44 pm
Cont'd: "…that the speaker might not sense what section they're in, or what allotment they have, let them know." #nycsc #ows
20:44 pm
Cont'd: "..i.e., remind them how long they have. Second, give them time, and then a buffer: what we can afford, and what we would prefer."
20:45 pm
Cont'd: "I think if we accepted those tactics as a group, the collective subconscious of the group will let us all speak in that time."
20:45 pm
He's interrupted by the timekeeper's alarm, hahah. "Also, not to use that ringer." Timekeeper says he tried to find another. #nycsc #ows
20:45 pm
Sully requests 15 seconds of silence, just to bring it back together. Hooooo… whooooooo. #nycsc #ows
20:46 pm
Sully: 'So, for any of you that are not already sitting w/ yr spoke, at this point we are shifting into our spokes format, so if ppl need.."
20:46 pm
Cont'd: "…to shift around a little, do that, and then we'll open stack for reportbacks." #nycsc #ows
20:48 pm
OK, Working Group reportbacks! Sustainability is first. We'll do 1min w/ 30sec buffer. #nycsc #ows
20:49 pm
Winnie, Sustainability! 12/18, OWS Sustainability and Evolver are holding a day-long skillshare/holiday bazaar in Brooklyn! #nycsc #ows
20:49 pm
Skillshare will be DIY life skills, and the bazaar will be "pretty much a barter market" tho vendors can also take donations. #nycsc #ows
20:49 pm
Cont'd: They're looking for vendors, or folks who might want to do a workshop and has skills to share. #nycsc #ows
20:50 pm
Next, Media! "There is the #OWS Film Festival, happening here #D17 for 3rd anniversary of #OWS to show how much struggle…" #nycsc
20:50 pm
Cont'd: "…we've been thru the last few months." Insists they're here for the movement, shouldn't scapegoat. #nycsc #ows
20:51 pm
Also, "this AM media ppl were visibly targeted; much of the footage was taken, not sure what we'll get back; working on better strategies."
20:51 pm
Next, Minutes! "Minutes needs help; we've been losing people due to, uh…" Someone: "Harassment." "Yeah, don't want to go further into that."
20:52 pm
Cont'd: "But if you can help, please email owsminutes@nycga.net #nycsc #ows
20:52 pm
Next, Kitchen. "We're trying really hard to get 3 meals out a day; we're looking at new spaces to do that." #nycsc #ows
20:52 pm
Cont'd: "We're going to try to get some hot breakfast food as well; we're working on expanding our capabilities. So… watch for it." #nycsc
20:53 pm
Security: "Very simply, we're working w/ DA on planning for #D17, and we're starting to expand our outreach and numbers so we can do..."
20:53 pm
Cont'd:"…more things, b/c there's many actions coming on." Music! "We and Arts and Culture have started a subcommittee to plan a huge…"
20:53 pm
Cont'd: "…music festival for the summer, along the lines of Woodstock." email: music@nycga.net! #nycsc #ows
20:54 pm
Next: Library. "Sean; ppl's library will be here with books to help w/ training on Wednesday. W/ re-occupation coming up on #D17, looking.."
20:54 pm
Cont'd: "…for someone who can help us build some temporary structures." Also need someone w/ access to vehicle to collect donated books.
20:55 pm
Next, Visions and Goals. "We consensed at our last meeting to try to reach an end-game, or take a stab. We're not working on *our* vision.."
20:55 pm
Cont'd: "…statement, it's *your* visions statement." "We're going to try to end this round of feedback Saturday. We'll start distributing.."
20:55 pm
Cont'd: "…our final temporary draft on Sunday, and we're going to ask (not tell) GA to consense on it Tuesday." #nycsc #ows
20:56 pm
V&G are also working to connect w/ other movement-oriented WGs and caucus about constructing the "goals" half of their mission. #nycsc #ows
20:56 pm
Also, Structure WG is being reconstituted and lifts up need for solutions. "Not to be judgmental; we just want to get something done."#nycsc
20:57 pm
Outreach: "Racial justice training is at 8! And frm 7:30-8, have a special guest speaker calling in, a great intro to racial justice trnng."
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "Also, we are working on something for X-mas." Meeting tomorrow at 5:30, but also following up, will advertise. #nycsc #ows
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "And also, we have #OccupyYourBlock which is for interfacing w/ community groups, so bring yr group!" #nycsc #ows
20:59 pm
Accounting has numbers! $374,724.57 are in the bank! Mentions RAHKA is working to end $100/day WG budgets. #nycsc #ows
21:00 pm
RAHKA speaks to that: "We've observed independently small # of ppl behaving corruptly w/ $100/day; folks who aren't can make proposals."
21:00 pm
Cont'd: "We need to be careful w/ our $, not spend it just to spend it. And we say this while we're sleeping on tables at McDonald's."
21:03 pm
Razor asks if we want to be a movement where someone who can't be filmed can't participate. #nycsc #ows
21:03 pm
Tech! They've got that amazing voice info hotline: 855 204 7763 Peep it! #nycsc #ows
21:03 pm
Tech: "Question of being a WG on the website; to be clear, we have a million WGs on the site and the standard for being a group..."
21:04 pm
Cont'd: "…on the site is the same as the standard for being a group in this movement: basically nothing!" Lulz. #nycsc #ows
21:04 pm
Next, Safer Spaces: Shoutout to Ethan who didn't always feel safe. "We thank him for being brave enough to say it and recognize that.."
21:04 pm
cont'd: "..there are many ppl who don't feel brave enough to say it." Making movement safe and inclusive is what they're about! #nycsc #ows
21:05 pm
SS: "We're working to determine our responsibility for keeping sleeping spaces safe, and how to help w/ burnout. " #nycsc #ows
21:05 pm
Facilitation!: "Max has made a great document at nycga.net/facilitation - it's just a form for anyone who feels so inclined to be..."
21:05 pm
Cont'd: "…part of facilitation team even if you can't come to full meetings." Asks for background, will let you get on facilitation roster.
21:07 pm
Next, Evelyn from Human Rights! She's posted an event on nycga.net for 12/17 at 5 to 6 pm, 60 Wall. "Food will be served!" #nycsc
21:07 pm
Negesti, OccupyTheYouth! "We'll be at ReelWorks teen filmmaking; we hope some of y'all will join us so that we hv a good #occupy presence."
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "Also, we know some of you have connections to schools; we want to reach out to those, so please help us out." #nycsc #ows
21:08 pm
Info: "Mobile info table in Alphabet City was great! Going all over soon. Working on making info available at all events." #nycsc #ows
21:08 pm
Info meets 2-4, Monday and Thursday at 60 Wall. #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
Nan, Anti-Oppression WG: "We and Strong Women Rules WG went to see the building today that we're working on buying." #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
Cont'd: She has issues w/ Starhawk's facilitation; the "Anti-oppression group" feels oppressed by it. Re: Razor, Nan says that she...
21:10 pm
Cont'd: …respects what they're trying to do, but many ppl use $100/day budget to buy MetroCards to help ppl out. You wouldn't want to...
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "…marginalize ppl trying to do a good thing," she says. #nycsc #ows
21:10 pm
Trish: "I'm speaking for the GA Council, so I'm speaking on behalf of you." We sort of laugh. "I know, you've never had a voice, so you..."
21:10 pm
Trish: "I'm speaking for the GA Council, so I'm speaking on behalf of you." We sort of laugh. "I know, you've never had a voice, so you..."
21:11 pm
Cot'd: "…don't know what it sounds like." They're going to be "GA building", she again tells us we can find it on the nya.net site. (Yes.)
21:11 pm
Cont'd: "Also, RE: working groups, we want to figure out what constitutes different types of working groups." We'd be glad to look at...
21:11 pm
Cont'd: …that if you have a proposal." #nycsc #ows
21:12 pm
Cont'd: Their next meeting is at PACE on Sunday. We're all invited to attend! #nycga #ows
21:12 pm
Medical team reporting back about its split from Street Medics; Medical Clinic is for health professionals and Street Medics are for..
21:13 pm
Cont'd: "…street care." All the main stuff is still in Medical umbrella; certain super pro folks are outside it to protect their licenses.
21:13 pm
Robert's CQ: "Thus far, the medics have been identified by Red Crosses - is the other group identifying themselves as well?" #nycsc #ows
21:14 pm
A: "It's up to them." Sage, Restricted Diets: "Last time I checked Kitchen's budget, it was $7,000/day. Not sure what it is now." #nycsc
21:15 pm
Justin from Accounting clarifies they just passed their $10k+/week budget at GA. Sage makes pt he wants funding so he can eat... #nycsc #ows
21:15 pm
Cont'd: …and so others can eat who have restricted diets. He's currently splitting it up w/ 5 people. #nycsc #ows
21:16 pm
Sage wants help w/ a project of getting ppl w/ immune deficiencies fed who can't eat. ez2email@me.com! #nycsc #ows
21:16 pm
Next, Ashley, Drums WG. "Some of us found out today actually that there's going to be an occupation Saturday, so we were just a little..."
21:16 pm
Cont'd: "…concerned why we hadn't found out before, why occupiers hadn't found out before; not implying secret meetings are going.."
21:17 pm
Cont'd: "…on, but should have been looped in sooner b/c that can build mistrust." #nycsc #ows
21:18 pm
Ashley also makes point that last time we had an occupation, there was a lot of "anti-drummer" sentiment. #nycsc #ows
21:18 pm
Next, OWS en Español and PoCC caucus: "We're having, Thursday 12/16, 6pm, PoCC agreed to march to bring attention to death..."
21:19 pm
Cont'd: "…of Private Danny Chang," who was killed in actions under very suspicious circumstances. #nycsc #ows
21:20 pm
Next, Harlem GA is 12/15. OWS en Español is having a big immigrants' march on the 18th; "I know it conflicts with the Tech Ops..."
21:20 pm
Cont'd: "…and we're planning some back and forth, but it's really important to support this b/c our immigrants have not been part of this.."
21:20 pm
Cont'd: "…movement b/c they're afraid of anything to put their faces out there; they can be arrested and deported." #nycsc #ows
21:21 pm
That march is 1pm at Foley, will have an Assembly 4pm at Liberty on Sunday. #nycsc #ows
21:21 pm
Psst, also it's Danny Chen. #nycsc #ows
21:22 pm
George, DA, "also other imaginary working groups." LULZ. "So… today, DA was at Starhawk's training; it wasn't a private meeting or..."
21:22 pm
Cont'd: "…anything of that sort; it was on how to use Consensus process as part of large groups. Also, this AM, we had an action that..."
21:22 pm
Cont'd: "…marched from the Red Cube to Goldman Sachs, using Matt Taibbi's Vampire Squid. Successful press conference, and then at..."
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "…Winter Garden -- sadly, some were arrested b/c the police hate dancing." #nycsc #ows
21:23 pm
Sage's POI: "I went to the meeting for planning the 17th, and it seems like the decisions have already been made." #nycsc #ows
21:23 pm
George apologizes to Sage for him feeling that way, but he could come discuss it at a meeting tomorrow. #nycsc #ows
21:24 pm
Housing! "To clarify what housing does: 1. we look for roofs for ppl to sleep under 2. we try to consolidate plans for long-term spaces…"
21:25 pm
Cont'd: "…3, we try to help w/ churches but prefer not to get involved in that." We had a building apparently but ppl acted like jerks...
21:25 pm
Cont'd: ..and so the owner took it back. #nycsc #ows
21:25 pm
"If you have real estate friends, or ppl w/ warehouses or theaters, go and find them, so ppl have roofs over head during winter!" #nycsc
21:25 pm
Next, Earth Summit. "Having a huge event Friday; for those who don't know, Earth Summit; apparently there's some sort of drive to save…"
21:26 pm
Cont'd: "…the Earth; I guess it's important to some ppl." Fri 1pm at UN, then Times Square, then teach in at LibSq 5:30. #nycsc #ows
21:26 pm
Cont'd: Also, they're working on #OccupyRio2012, which should take ppl to task for not acting on climate change. #nycsc #ows
21:27 pm
Transparency/Accountability: "We submitted a tool to Finance to try to help out w/ some of the things we thought they were working on…"
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…and we also submitted an accountability act for the entire organization, to clean up communication." #nycsc #ows
21:27 pm
Also, they need to meet more often, b/c most of the contacts have been online. #nycsc #ows
21:28 pm
PoI stemming from DA? "Tomorrow, DA is bringing a proposal to GA about reclaiming space. I just thought everyone in room should know…"
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "..that's happening at GA tomorrow." That's for Saturday. #nycsc #ows
21:31 pm
Next, OccupyFarms. Shazz! "I just got back to the meeting right now, Spokes, so sorry if I repeat info already gone over." #nycsc #ows
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "There was an important GA last night; money for OccupyFarms proposal failed." Points out there weren't enough ppl at GA. #nycsc
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "My report back is just personal opinion; dissolve spokes immediately, work on GA; til GA stops being a place where ideas go.."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "…to die, I have no respect for this movement or anyone in it." Trish: "We love you!" Sage: "Trish, please don't add your views.."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "…to a voice I respect." Laughter, leads to chatting, leads to Sully being like "why did we suddenly decide this was convo time?"
21:34 pm
Comfort has an announcement: "We have 2 comfort locations; 1 at LibSq and 1 at Charlotte's Place - M-F." #nycsc #ows
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "We also have roving comfort stations at 86th Street, Yonkers, various places, and graveyards where we've set up temporary.."#nycsc
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "…cardboard housing structures for ppl w/ limited housing options." #nycsc #ows
21:35 pm
Also Comfort is working with OccupyFarms and OccupyTheHood. #nycsc #ows
21:35 pm
One more WG report back. Ronnie! "I was informed that many grps are unaware that we have a printing budget. We got it really early on..."
21:36 pm
Cont'd: "..it's $2,000/week; w/ Park, we were hitting limit, but since, it's not being used. So we'll re-examine, and transfer printing..."
21:36 pm
Cont'd: "…from Big Apple Printing to our new co-op!" So, if you need to print stuff, talk to Outreach! owsoutreach@gmail.com #nycsc #ows
21:37 pm
Next, someone went to "the after-hours project in Bushwick; they do harm reduction, needle exchange, and all of that; they will be..."
21:38 pm
Cont'd: "..coming, representing themselves, in solidarity with us." They'll be coming thru! #nycsc #ows
21:38 pm
Sully notes that we have nervous energy we need to work out! "Maybe make low guttural sounds for a minute; we'll bring it back." #nycsc #ows
22:24 pm
So, having some tech difficulties w/ Twitter client which suddenly is being a jerk, but Sully is reviewing potential agenda items. #nycsc
22:24 pm
These came out of the assembly-style discussion earlier. 1. Diverse spaces for diverse voices; 2. Structures of decision-making...
22:24 pm
Cont'd: "…3. accountability and community agreements, and 4. action planning." #nycsc #OWS
22:24 pm
Sully: "We're not going to solve all of these tonight, but how can we map routes to consensus on these issues?" #nycsc #ows
22:24 pm
Negesti clarifies that hers isn't a proposal, but it's a set of ideas that might help w/ some of the issues. #nycsc #ows
22:26 pm
Trish: "I brought up an issue in spokes 3,4 meetings ago re: mismanagement of money." #nycsc #OWS
22:26 pm
Trish: "I'd like this to be addressed and not put at the end of the meeting." Says this is what Spokes was supposed to do. #nycsc #ows
22:26 pm
Starhawk notes "we've gotten into talking about talking; if we limit this, we can get to issues. If we talk about this for an hour, we…"
22:27 pm
Cont'd: "…won't get to anything of substance." #nycsc #ows
22:27 pm
Nan wants to make sure "raising up the GA" is on there. It is! #nycsc #ows
22:27 pm
Razor notes that there's an issue of ppl using their privilege in movement to silence others, irregardless of race/class/gender. #nycsc #ows
22:27 pm
"This is an issue in movement where ppl are being marginalized by groups of privilege in the movement." #nycsc #ows
22:29 pm
George: "I think part of this problem is that ppl don't understand what Spokes is; maybe if WGs came to Spokes with their idea of that.."
22:29 pm
Cont'd: "…we could talk about that. Also, let's burn all the money?" #nycsc #ows
22:30 pm
Ashley: "It's a gift and necessity that we're having discussion about racism Wednesday; it should take up whole time Wednesday." #nycsc
22:30 pm
Someone clarifies that the training Wednesday takes up whole spokes; Sully says agenda we're constructing is for Friday.
22:30 pm
Michael: "You've got 3 spokescouncils; one is where you have issues, which you like to call reportbacks." #nycsc #ows
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "…the next is you have proposals." He suggests that the actual consensus process is /after/ proposal process. Interesting. #nycsc
22:31 pm
Negesti: "The problem w/ SC is we don't feel empowered, so we talk about talking. First, ppl need to be at GA, folks should present to both"
22:31 pm
Starhawk notes we don't shout over each other. She continues: "Last night, GA couldn't pass $300 for self-defense training b/c ppl…"
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "…show up to GA every night and block." Ashley says it's sexism. Trish asks we not tug-of-war b/w GA and spokes. (!! -Ed.) #nycsc
22:31 pm
PoI: "One of the big problems w/ the GA, other than the fact that it's dark, and…" Folks shout her down because it's not a PoI. #nycsc #ows
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "Next, membership: everyone can be a member, but only operations money can be consensed on here, rest at GA." #nycsc #ows
22:31 pm
Cont'd: "Since Spokes was for operations working groups, maybe Spokes can only consense on money for Ops groups." #nycsc
22:32 pm
Razor points out that RAHKA is working on a proposal to move GA to indoors, 3 days a week, so ppl can make sane decisions. #nycsc #ows
22:32 pm
Next: "The GAs do have to move inside; I can't do that for hours all the time, I'm just not built for it." #nycsc #ows
22:32 pm
Also, re: spokes: "We left some of the best ideas behind, like clusters." The job Brooke and those guys did on that was great, and.. #nycsc
22:32 pm
Cont'd: "…they just didn't want the tension around the clusters." #nycsc #ows
22:32 pm
Next: "I have issues with talking about where we want to go before we figure out where we are at." #nycsc #ows
22:32 pm
Cont'd: Compares it to, you want to drive to Pittsburgh, but one person thinks they're in Vermont and one in New York. #nycsc #ows
22:34 pm
Next: "I think, for this mvmnt to move forward, we need something: the GA or the Spokes to have tools to draft code of the occupier." #nycsc
22:35 pm
Next: "People should be open to changing their opinions. Be open to discussing w/ ppl and changing yr opinions." #nycsc #ows
22:35 pm
Cont'd: "When you come Friday, come w/ a self-reflective view." Otherwise, we won't get anywhere. #nycsc #ows
22:36 pm
Trish: "Let's go to the training, and then we'll look at dynamics and the system." Says GA didn't have someone to adequate on its behalf.
22:37 pm
Next: "I'd like to propose we distinguish passion and narcissism. This is directed at 1-person working groups. It's called stepping back.."
22:37 pm
Cont'd: "…and letting others speak. It's… disgusting. This is about "we", not about "I"." #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
Cont'd: "If we want to give power to a GA, we should all go! Try to go at least once a week, that way GA can re-empower itself." #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
Anthony tells us about "the Blockers Working Group"; they'll block "anything and everything" at GA. #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
Someone says that GA should become more of a soapbox. Nan flips, "how can you let her say that?" Everyone goes to shout her down.
22:38 pm
Starhawk: "If people can't be respectful of other people speaking, then you are free to go!" (People's Mic crazy strong on that) #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
The original speaker continues, pointing out that blocks aren't about a person, they're about the movement. #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
PoCC: "I'm really looking forward to Wednesday; have a concern re: consensus process and the way I've seen these meetings unfold…"
22:38 pm
Cont'd: "…to consider how dominant cultures and how privilege manifests in consensus process." #nycsc #ows
22:38 pm
"It sucks that people misuse blocks, but maybe it's because the ability to interrupt process speaks to someone marginalized their whole life
22:39 pm
"So, just to think about how all these things play out." #nycsc #ows
22:39 pm
Sully asks Ashley, who is insisting she was on stack and we can't close without hearing her, if he can close the meeting. #nycsc #ows
22:39 pm
Ashley yields. Sully reviews the agenda understanding for Fri: minimizing working group reportbacks, having space b/w convo and proposals.
22:39 pm
Cont'd: "So can we commit that we won't pass anything Friday; we're moving towards consensus Friday?" Yes! #nycsc
22:40 pm
Yay. OK, so that's it. Sorry about the flood; got a huge backlog while the Internet connection here flaked. #nycsc #ows
22:41 pm
[As always, any questions, comments, concerns, hit up your live tweeter who tonight is @diceytroop. Love and #solidarity!] #nycsc #d12