00:00 am
RT @OWS_Live: We have an incredibly special episode of OWSNYC tonight at midnight. (http://t.co/b019CU1j) #OWS #OccupyWallStreet #Occupy
00:00 am
RT @mofogrande: @DiceyTroop Whose fake Zucotti? OUR fake Zucotti. #ows #mockupy d9
00:00 am
RT @NYC_GA: We're here. Come join us. #Mockupy #ows
00:00 am
RT @OWS_Live: We have an incredibly special episode of OWSNYC tonight at midnight. (http://t.co/b019CU1j) #OWS #OccupyWallStreet #Occupy
00:00 am
RT @OWS_Tactical: GA is at Foley Square in 6 minutes! #occupymap #d9
00:00 am
RT @mofogrande: @DiceyTroop Whose fake Zucotti? OUR fake Zucotti. #ows #mockupy d9
00:00 am
RT @NYC_GA: We're here. Come join us. #Mockupy #ows
00:03 am
RT @OccupyWallStNYC: Casting Call! Come down to #FoleySquare in costume as Occupiers. Bring headshots and resumes. Midnite. We have a pa ...
00:03 am
RT @OWS_Tactical: All quiet so far.
16:23 pm
RT @OWScom: Update: SC, 7pm at Parish Hall of Trinity church, 74 trinity place; Food, at SC & 60 Wall approx. 7pm.
16:23 pm
RT @OWScom: Update: SC, 7pm at Parish Hall of Trinity church, 74 trinity place; Food, at SC & 60 Wall approx. 7pm.
16:23 pm
RT @OWScom: Update: SC, 7pm at Parish Hall of Trinity church, 74 trinity place; Food, at SC & 60 Wall approx. 7pm.
19:31 pm
Hi everybody! We're starting tonight's #OWS Operational Spokescouncil meeting. Follow here and at @LibertySqGA2 thru 4. #nycsc #ows
19:31 pm
Sage is starting the meeting, asking people to consider how much time they might need for proposals. #nycsc #ows
19:32 pm
Facilitation's role tonight is a little unclear to us, I'm sure they'll explain soon. Last time was mostly unfacilitated and yielded results
19:34 pm
Facilitation: "I'm Danny; I'm facilitation spoke tonight. We have a lot of options tonight; we're at your service. If you'd like us to...
19:34 pm
Cont'd: "…facilitate, or if people would like to do something else, we're at your service." #nycsc #ows
19:34 pm
Someone says they think it'd be valuable for us "to have a facilitated spokescouncil this time." #nycsc #ows
19:35 pm
Nan: "I think we should just take stack because facilitation group still has a lot of people not trusting them, until they earn trust…"
19:35 pm
Nan cont'd: "…I think they should just take stack until they prove they are trustworthy, or find someone else to take over." #nycsc #ows
19:35 pm
Sage says it seems like about half the people uptwinkled the idea of a facilitated meeting, recognizing many disagreed w/ Nan. #nycsc #ows
19:36 pm
Sage asks if people agree this is an accurate retelling; people agree. Someone steps up and asks him who put Sage in charge… #nycsc #ows
19:36 pm
Cont'd: …and when someone says he is just stepping up, she says, "I'm going to step up, too. Let facilitation facilitate." #nycsc #ows
19:37 pm
Some back and forth. She says, "We've waited 30 years." Feels "we're fucking around," some folks point out that's just her opinion. #nycsc
19:38 pm
Ashley says she came back only because she heard that last Spokescouncil was great and that it's because there was no facilitation. #nycsc
19:39 pm
She says the Spokescouncil should facilitate itself, not be facilitated by a group of "power-hungry" folks. Many down-twinkles. #nycsc #ows
19:40 pm
Next: "It seems like there are a lot of conversations people want to have, and that's fine. The conversation I'd like to have is…"
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "…a conversation about activating Spokes. I don't want to take over this space; if this isn't the space to have it, let's go…"
19:40 pm
Cont'd: "…find another space and have that conversation." Sage asks if we want to try to consense on facilitating spokescouncil. #nycsc #ows
19:41 pm
Then he rephrases: "For those who want a facilitated spokescouncil & don't care that some don't, can you twinkle?" We balk at that. #nycsc
19:41 pm
Sage: "So all the people who didn't want to do what we did last week, you're welcome. I personally wanted to do a hybrid of the soapbox…"
19:42 pm
Cont'd: "…with spokescouncil getting stuff done, but since some of you have a problem with me, I pushed it to an extreme of doing what..."
19:42 pm
Cont'd: "…we've always done." Thanks the first lady who stepped up, sarcastically, for starting the shouting over people. #nycsc #ows
19:42 pm
Next: "I was a fan of how Sage was doing things; I'd like to see Leo or someone help out also." #nycsc #ows
19:43 pm
Someone points out Leo may not want to and he should be asked first. Others suggest Nan or others facilitate. #nycsc #ows
19:43 pm
Leo: "I'd be happy to facilitate, but I'd ask that we have a team of me and other people from this group that want to step up, and if..."
19:43 pm
Cont'd: "..people feel OK about that.." Nan: "Fine." Someone wants to know if Sage can also help out, Leo has no problem w/ that. #nycsc
19:44 pm
Other people suggest Nan help. Daniel: "I think what we started to see last night was really valuable, and having the Spokescouncil..."
19:44 pm
Cont'd: "…opened up to a space where we can talk about the Spokescouncil and what happens within it --" points out it hasn't… #nycsc #ows
19:45 pm
Cont'd: …accomplished much and suggests "we have an opportunity here to actually work out some of the issues w/ [spokescouncil]" and...
19:45 pm
Cont'd: ..if we step back into what we've been doing we'll step backwards. Someone else suggests we have a collaboration b/w facilitation..
19:46 pm
Cont'd: ..and others, and make space for airing things but also getting stuff done. Someone steps up and proposes we consense on that idea.
19:46 pm
Town Planning: "We're stepping out of this process, and we have a lot of work to do, and a lot of people have talked about how it's..."
19:47 pm
Cont'd: "…counterproductive to allow disruptive people in." Says we've tried this for a month, & wants a different space for coordination...
19:48 pm
Cont'd: "…between working groups where there are no disruptive forces." He says he's going to go get a beer and figure that out. #nycsc
19:50 pm
.@carriem213 gets up and proposes we open stack on wrkng group reportbacks and then take it from there. Tempcheck? Sounds good. #nycsc #ows
19:51 pm
So, we're stacking up working group reportbacks. #nycsc #ows
19:52 pm
Sustainability! "Next Sunday we're having an #OWS Holiday Bazaar at 75 Frost in Brooklyn." Lots of workshops, from..
19:53 pm
Cont'd: …alternative economies to other skills. Lots of crafters. owssustainability@gmail.com, "trying to get people in this space to..."
19:53 pm
Cont'd: "…barter, exchange, explore alternative economies." Will be food, drinks, Sunday the 18th! #nycsc #ows
19:54 pm
Facilitation announces that they've changed schedule; only full group meetings are Sundays and Thursdays 4pm at 60 Wall. #nycsc #ows
19:54 pm
Cont'd: There will be facilitation subgroups and training that proceed throughout the week. OH WAIT it's Saturdays and Tuesdays. #nycsc #ows
19:54 pm
Cont'd: "Sorry, strike that, Saturdays and Tuesdays, 4pm, 60 Wall for Facilitation Working Group meetings." #nycsc #ows
19:56 pm
Visions and Goals/Structure: "I'd like to read you a draft of our #OWS vision statement. It's not our document, it's your document.."
19:56 pm
Cont'd: "I'm not reading something we wrote or that we want you to adopt, we're reading your document." Has been workshopped at GA. #nycsc
19:57 pm
Visions and Goals is reading this statement: http://t.co/7OCkwrhv What do y'all think? #nycsc #ows
19:58 pm
@JoshHarkinson This is the same spokescouncil. It doesn't have a 'normal' home tho, moves around b/w here, Walker, and Brecht Forum.
19:59 pm
V&G: "This isn't goals, just vision. We're working on goals at the same time; there's a meeting of what's called the Solutions Cluster."
20:00 pm
Cont'd: Solutions Cluster includes V&G, alternative economies, alternative currencies, etc. #nycsc #ows
20:01 pm
More from V&G: "We're thinking about reconstituting the Structure WG, and we want to address why Spokescouncil's been the way it has."#nycsc
20:01 pm
Cont'd: Notes that last Spokes was the first he's enjoyed and it was more GA than Spokescouncil. "So, I think we need to talk about that."
20:01 pm
Next, Ashley w/ Women Occupying Nations. They meet Sunday, 4:30, at 60 Wall. #nycsc #ows
20:02 pm
Cont'd: WoN is working to press NYPD on respecting the dignity of women prisoners, and will discuss what democracy is this week. #nycsc
20:03 pm
DA: "We still need a lot of help doing cleanup, but security is tight and we're trying to keep numbers down." #nycsc #ows
20:03 pm
DA cont'd: "We'll leave a number and email address so we can give people who want to help times when we really need you there." #nycsc
20:04 pm
Info: "We're working on our first mobile info table; it'll be at 9th and Avenue B, 4-7 tomorrow." #nycsc #ows
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "If you want to check it out, stop by, if you have any flyers or info you want us to hand out please give it to us." #nycsc #ows
20:04 pm
Cont'd: "We're going to need a lot of help doing MobileInfo, both in the park and stable places throughout the city." #nycsc #ows
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "One other thing from Communications Cluster, which Info is a part of -- it relates to changing language re: Frank Luntz.." #nycsc
20:05 pm
Cont'd: "…if you're interested in doing some strategy to counter conservative dialogue, come to the Comm cluster." 2pm @ 60 Wall, Tues/Thurs
20:05 pm
Next, Women Occupying Wallstreet (WOW). "We have a self-defense training coming up on 12/18 for all women who want to join, 12 spaces open."
20:06 pm
Con't: If you want to get in touch with WOW or join that workshop, it's wowsnyc@gmail.com, I think. #nycsc #ows
20:06 pm
Next, Sam from Kitchen: "Hi, so tomorrow we're going to be making another proposal for kitchen as in 2 months ago." #nycsc #ows
20:07 pm
Kitchen promises a full budget breakdown; it'll be heard at GA tomorrow. It's on nycga.net, or they have printed copies. Come to GA! #nycsc
20:07 pm
@WikileaksTruck! It's Heather. "Some folks have been working on a Global Day of Action for Bradley Manning 12/16 and 12/17." #nycsc #ows
20:08 pm
Cont'd: "12/16 is the start of the pre-trial hearings," sending a bus of #OWS-affiliated people. Will camp at @OccupyDC Friday, march Sat.
20:08 pm
Cont'd: "We definitely need help reaching out to people," many can't access social ntwrks. ows4brad@gmail.com. Will bring budget to GA tmrw
20:09 pm
Tech: "We've now built out a phone system to give automated information." They're giving us a phone number but they want to wait to release.
20:09 pm
Cont'd: They're waiting to put the number out b/c they want a vanity number to promote first. It reads you info from nycga.net! #nycsc
20:10 pm
Tech points out they used this system to determine where Spokescouncil was tonight. #nycsc #ows
20:10 pm
Tech: "If you speak the word Announcement, you can leave an announcement for everyone to hear." #nycsc #ows
20:10 pm
Tech cont'd: "You can also use the word feedback to tell us whether you like it or you hate it." #nycsc #ows
20:10 pm
Tech cont'd: "On Sunday the 18th, we have access to like 60 sessions at PACE University, the event is free, we're calling it the..."
20:11 pm
Cont'd: "…#Occupy Unconference, so instead of a conference where experts come to tell you stuff," we can schedule as we like. #nycsc #ows
20:11 pm
Con't: "We hope to have a lot of folks not part of #Occupy there so working groups can get fresh blood, show them what they're doing."#nycsc
20:11 pm
Tech: "There's a lot of stuff at Occupy.net that we'll be releasing to make life easier from the tech side." #nycsc #ows
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "If you want to set up a meeting, go to occupyunconference.net and sign up," or do so on grid on-site when you come on the 18th.
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "There's room, there's computers, there's quiet, and there should be lots of people interested in what's going on, hopefully."
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "OccupyUnconference.net goes to a wiki page, which will clarify, but in the next few days there will be a website where ppl can.."
20:12 pm
Cont'd: "…propose and vote on sessions. I hope you guys can make it to the event; it should be fun!" #nycsc #ows
20:13 pm
Comfort is next. "Comfort is now Comfort and then Roving Comfort, which mostly works in Zuccotti Park, and Comfort works in churches."#nycsc
20:13 pm
Comfort is working on laundry, some showers, and orders like clothing and hand warmers. New email: comfort@nycga.net. #nycsc #ows
20:14 pm
Comfort cont'd: "Tomorrow, we need volunteers to do laundry at the church in Park Slope," will be about 7am when they ask everyone to leave.
20:15 pm
Nicole reaping DA: "December 17th, there is a plan to reoccupy. They're looking at a space, it's not Zuccotti Park, there's a meeting Mon.."
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "..at 60 Wall at 5pm, if you want to get hooked up. All working groups should go, since it'll be an occupation." #nycsc #ows
20:15 pm
Cont'd: "There's a lot of planning going into it, and it'll be a great attempt - at least." #nycsc #ows
20:16 pm
Someone asks if it'll be in the Financial District. A: "It's close to the Financial District." #nycsc #ows
20:16 pm
NVC/Safety Cluster: "Tomorrow, 3:30 to 6pm, 60 Wall, we'll be hosting a listening circle in terms of building a grievance process..."
20:16 pm
Cont'd: "..for us to be able to brainstorm how to get our grievances heard and resolved." Requests we join them! #nycsc #ows
20:17 pm
Mark from DA: "Our next major action is #D12! It's Monday, 12/12, at 7:30AM. Two marches: meet at City Hall or the red cube." #nycsc #ows
20:17 pm
Cont'd: "Both marches will start there and converge at Goldman Sachs offices." In solidarity w/ West Coast comrades, doing major blockade!
20:18 pm
DA cont'd: "West Coast blockade will try to shut it down from Anchorage to San Diego." #nycsc #ows
20:18 pm
Cont'd: "On this side, we're going to oppose GS because they own a company keeping many longshoremen from unionizing." #nycsc #ows
20:19 pm
Cont'd: "The next action is #D17; there's a meeting tomorrow at 1:30, 52 Broadway." #D12 starts at 7:30am tho. #nycsc #ows
20:20 pm
Media: "Having an audio editing workshop tmrw at 1pm at 156 Rivington, ABC No Rio, using free open source app called Audacity." #nycsc #ows
20:20 pm
Cont'd: "Please come if you want to learn how to edit audio." #nycsc #ows
20:21 pm
Town Planning: "I just want to let everybody know that if you need supplies -- sleeping bags, tents, tarps -- we still have that…"
20:21 pm
Cont'd: "..property. Some people have been making requests, we're happy to work w/ you on that." #nycsc #ows
20:22 pm
Cont'd: "I actually missed the last #SC; I've heard it was very positive. But I'm concerned that we've stopped the process of forming.."
20:22 pm
Cont'd: "…spokescouncil." Has a proposal to make Housing an actual working group so we can validate budget/numbers/organization. #nycsc
20:23 pm
Cont'd; "I just want to propose that we add it as an agenda item this mtg." Stacktakers note that's complicated by nt hving facilitators.
20:23 pm
Jason from Housing: "We are still very active and looking for spaces in all of the boroughs, both temporary and permanent." #nycsc #ows
20:24 pm
Cont'd: "We've had some luck." Working to get on same page w/ working groups. "We'll be trying to look at more spaces in the next couple…"
20:25 pm
Cont'd: "…days;" they're looking at a space for about 190 and have another for 100. #nycsc #ows
20:25 pm
"What we're really trying to do is have a shift in what our housing plan is," want people from around the world to know they can come visit.
20:25 pm
"We're still fully functioning, #OWS, they will have a safe place to sleep." Lots of art going on in the space tonight. #nycsc #ows
20:25 pm
Housing hopes that once folks have a regular place to sleep, they can contribute more and become a veritable "army" of occupiers. #nycsc
20:26 pm
Cont'd: "We're really looking for people who have ideas to give us work to do." We'll have a lot of folks more able to help. #nycsc #ows
20:27 pm
"We're looking for innovation; we're looking for creativity from you guys." Someone who temp checked them facilitating responds w/ info...
20:27 pm
Cont'd: …and someone PoPs him, "that's not facilitating." (Fair enough). #nycsc #ows
20:27 pm
Housing cont'd: "We're really going to be able to tell people from around the region, country, world, that they're welcome." #nycsc #ows
20:28 pm
Next: #OWS GA en Español. "First, we meet every Sunday at 5:00 at 60 Wall. Everyone's welcome to come or bring your friends and families.
20:28 pm
He's also in the Legislation WG. "As you know, one of the reasons we've #Occupied Wall Street is that for years, the 1% have kidnapped…"
20:29 pm
Cont'd: "…our government" in a crooked way, w/ legislation. #nycsc #ows
20:30 pm
Essentially they're organizing information about the new laws that are so ridiculously scarily appalling to all of us. #nycsc #ows
20:31 pm
Ooh, OWS En Español wants tech to postpone the PACE Uni training date from the 18th because it's a global day of immigration solidarity.
20:31 pm
They're broadcasting every Saturday 7-9pm at 89.3FM. "It's a local station; the director of the program had put the services in our hands."
20:31 pm
Cont'd: "Everybody's welcome; we're going to be coordinating that, but I don't want to be the only one." #nycsc #ows
20:32 pm
Cont'd: "Instead of creating a Spanish program, we want a bilingual program so we can get more people." #nycsc #ows
20:32 pm
Tech will speak to the PACE thing, as someone asked if it's postponed. "It's not postponed; we have it b/c it's a special arrangement.."
20:34 pm
Cont'd: "..and a 1-time possibility offer. We usually don't hv access to such spaces. The check's in the mail." ($5,000 consensed on by GA.)
20:34 pm
Ashley pressed Tech and got it to go on the "agenda". #nycsc #ows
20:34 pm
Next, Occupy Farms! Chaz! "We did a recon trip Monday to check out our land, our 56 acres in upstate New York!" #nycsc #ows
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "We'll have a proposal Sunday to authorize $10,000 to get it going." Stuff you can get involved in on the farm: demolishing a barn..
20:35 pm
Cont'd: "…baking cookies, build a root cellar, smoke free cigarettes, play texas hold'em." shazzbarbaric@gmail.com #nycsc #ows
20:36 pm
Shazz: "We also shave heads up there." Hahah. There's other stuff. "Right now we just want to bring ppl up." #nycsc #ows
20:36 pm
Cont'd: "Next trip is 30 people, Tuesday the 13th." #nycsc #ows
20:36 pm
Cont'd: "Also, someone in Vermont wants to trade us 100 chickens for 10 workers for a week." #nycsc #ows
20:37 pm
Sage: "We have a farm!" Big cheers! "Celebrate! I'm really happy about that." #nycsc #ows
20:37 pm
Next, Houses ("apparently different from Housing") - oh it's Houseless. "Not hopeless, houseless!" #nycsc #ows
20:38 pm
Strong Women Rules will go first. Nan: "The last time, when the realtor was here, she couldn't talk to you guys and take questions." #nycsc
20:38 pm
Cont'd: "Bringing 10 people to see the building: send an email to strongwomenrulesworkinggroup@gmail.com if you want to go." #nycsc #ows
20:39 pm
Houseless now. "Announcing the formation of the Houseless Caucus and WG. The meeting times will be Mon-Fri 10am to 11 (caucus) 11-12 (WG)."
20:39 pm
That's at 60 Wall street, for the Houseless Caucus. Sage invites everyone here to McDonald's b/w 11pm and 5am, which is when… #nycsc #ows
20:40 pm
Cont'd: …the houseless caucus "tends to meet. We're here… for your needs." #nycsc #ows
20:40 pm
Next, Constitution WG: "We made it just in time; we walked all the way to Walker Street and back here! We have a 7-petition proposal."
20:40 pm
Cont'd: "The big decision about that should be Sunday at GA. Come 1-5 at 60 Wall tomorrow for a teach-in." #nycsc #ows
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "We also did an inter-occupation conference call." They'll be around all day tomorrow and Sunday. #nycsc #ows
20:41 pm
Cont'd: "They're 7 1st Amendment petitions for redress." Check out nycga.net and go to the Constitution Group. #nycsc #ows
20:42 pm
OK, done w/ WG reportbacks. One of the facilitators points out Daryl is affiliated w/ the WG whose item he made first on the agenda.
20:42 pm
Cont'd: "So, he's volunteered to step back." Looks lk @carriem213 and someone whose name I don't know will be the facilitators. #nycsc #ows
20:43 pm
Stairs (shorthand for facilitators): "We're going to hear a budget proposal and then address the PACE date conflict. Anything else?" #nycsc
20:43 pm
.@ethanbuckner suggests we discuss "Spokescouncil -what are we going to do w/ this thing?" #nycsc #ows
20:44 pm
Sage clarifies that we're moving into an agenda format. "Yes, is everyone OK w/ that?" Nan asks what the agenda is. #nycsc #ows
20:44 pm
.@carriem213 reviews: "It's the housing group, they want to be ratified". Also, the PACE conflict on the 18th w/ the Immigration solidarity.
20:44 pm
Nan thinks we should table the housing thing since not everyone is here. Sage notes it's a suggestion about that particular item, but...
20:45 pm
Sage: "But I think the Visions and Goals guy wanted to talk about something as well?" Stairs clarifies that was for GA tomorrow. #nycsc
20:45 pm
Sage: "Is there anyone who's going to block this entire meeting if we decide to talk about housing as a working group?" #nycsc #ows
20:45 pm
Nan: "First of all, housing has to go to GA to be a working group, that's the procedure." Sage restates his question. #nycsc #ows
20:46 pm
Sage: "If we decide to talk about housing, is there anyone who is going to go against the entire group?" Nan punts to Trish. #nycsc #ows
20:47 pm
Trish: "You can't. This is spokes -- that's an issue for GA." She knows just how to frustrate everyone, judging from the uproar. #nycsc #ows
20:47 pm
Trish: "My concern, and I want this to be live streamed correctly, and that notes are being taken correctly, I thought this was a..."
20:48 pm
Cont'd: "…a Spokes meeting. And if it is a Spokes meeting, the recognition or an authorization on a new WG is not in your jurisdiction."#ows
20:48 pm
Trish cont'd: "I just came from a housing meeting at 60 Wall and there are 2 or 3 separate entities working on housing." #nycsc #ows
20:48 pm
Cont'd: "I don't know what entity it is putting forth a proposal here, but Spokes cannot sanction or authorize a WG." #nycsc #ows
20:51 pm
Someone points out that the Spokes proposal actually officially provides for Spokescouncil to approve new Working Groups. #nycsc #ows
20:52 pm
There's confusion as to whether Spokes has this power though because Spokescouncil hasn't been completed as per the proposal. #nycsc
20:52 pm
Daryl: "It's my opinion that housing is an issue we all need to talk about as soon as possible," as a space to live for folks is of...
20:53 pm
Cont'd: …crucial importance. "This was going to be my first agenda item, so I think this makes this debate moot." #nycsc #ows
20:53 pm
Daryl: "It's not for the group, it's about spaces for Occupy Wall Street." #nycsc #ows
20:54 pm
Housing: "Humbly, from my WG's understanding, we're not asking to become a working group; we are a working group." #nycsc #ows
20:54 pm
Cont'd: "It was our understanding the Spokescouncil was not the movement, which is much larger. Spokescouncil was meant to be one part..."
20:54 pm
Cont'd: "…one type of meeting form, and if you want to be a part of it, you need to propose yrself." Housing wants to be a valid part of SC.
20:55 pm
Cont'd: "I don't think it gives us more power or any less, but we want to validate ourselves, and help validate this SC going forward."
20:55 pm
Cont'd: "If we as a group can consent to having the discussion," they want to talk about Housing being a part of this Spokescouncil. #nycsc
20:55 pm
Ethan: "I just want to clarify the moment that we're in at the moment. Since the eviction, we stopped the process of determining..."
20:55 pm
Cont'd: "..which groups were operations or movement groups, and have been haphazardly trying to coordinate since then." #nycsc #ows
20:56 pm
Cont'd: "Right now, we don't really have a consensus about what we want this body to be. So it doesn't make sense to go through this..."
20:56 pm
Cont'd: "…process to welcome another group when we don't know what we're doing with this Spokescouncil." #nycsc #ows
20:57 pm
PoI, Ashley: "My understanding is that #OWS is supposed to be a politicianless movement, but what I saw was that some ppl were voting..."
20:57 pm
Cont'd: "…against groups because they wanted them to be marginalized." Gives several ahistorical examples. #nycsc #ows
20:57 pm
Ashley: "I think we really need to strongly reconsider qualifications- if they want to step up and take time, their WG and Caucus..."
20:58 pm
Cont'd: "…should have a voice." [Ed: Note that her one-person "caucus" was not approved when that process was still happening.]
20:59 pm
Sage tries to restate what Ethan said, he says he missed the mark. "All I'm saying is we haven't consensed on what the SC will look like..."
20:59 pm
Cont'd: "…going forward." Sage: "OK, I think that if we're going into a phase of being more officiated, it should be by consensus." #nycsc
21:00 pm
Someone: "I thought that these two women here were cofacilitators." The cofacilitators say it's OK if Sage helps. #nycsc #ows
21:00 pm
Stairs: "Can we all take a really deep breath?" Whheeeee--Whooooo. #nycsc #ows
21:01 pm
Someone asks that we try to use less intense language "because some of this stuff a few minutes ago has been triggering for me." #nycsc #ows
21:02 pm
Someone notes that "at the last Spokescouncil, I heard a couple segments of 'I don't bring my children here b/c I wonder what they'd…"
21:03 pm
Contd: "…think of us.' That really hit me." Thinks we should talk abt it whn we get back going again. Trish is harping on use of the f-word.
21:04 pm
Stairs: "Seeing as how we're at this place where we've set aside approving Spokes and all WGs are Spokes by default…" #nycsc #ows
21:04 pm
Trish interrupts: "That makes sense." Stairs: "Please. The hand signals are so you don't have to say anything." #nycsc #ows
21:05 pm
Stairs continues: "So, housing is part of the Spokescouncil by default." Normally, that'd mean we could give $, but that's not where SC's at
21:06 pm
Sage asks if we can get needs out there. "Can we get a temp check on listening to Housing's needs w/o any stamp of approval?" #nycsc #ows
21:06 pm
Trish asks if 1-finger up is a PoI, then asks a question. "Can we have another conversation about Spokes and what's in yr jurisdiction?"
21:07 pm
Stairs: "That's already on the agenda." Trish: "What's already on the agenda?" Stairs: "We collected an agenda; what you just said.." #nycsc
21:07 pm
Nan asks again that we review the agenda. Stairs: "What just happened is we started out by trying to put together an agenda…"
21:07 pm
Cont'd: "…we got distracted talking about housing before we formed the agenda. Right now, there's no agenda." #nycsc
21:08 pm
Reviewing: "There's housing, which we just got distracted by, there's the two things on the 18th and" trying to resolve conflicts b/w them..
21:08 pm
Cont'd: "…and then there's the spokescouncil." Notes we have an hour and Spokescouncil is a big topic. #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
Stairs asks how we feel about moving the #D18 conflicts to the top of the list "because it's coming up and it's something we might..."
21:09 pm
Cont'd: "…actually resolve it tonight." Trish still thinks her issue isn't represented. "I think it should be at the top." #nycsc #ows
21:09 pm
Ashley: "I left the room, I'm sorry, did we vote against talking about immigration?" Trish: "My issue under that topic may be more…"#nycsc
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "…important than the topic." Stairs: "So what's yr proposal?" Trish: "You said it was already there. So it's not there?" #nycsc #ows
21:10 pm
Stairs: "Correct me if I'm wrong; you wanted to talk about the function of the Spokescouncil." Trish: "No, I didn't want to talk about..."
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "..the function of the Spokescouncil. My issue was the Spokescouncil… OK… not fulfilling its mandate given to it by the GA…"
21:10 pm
Cont'd: "…at a meeting. I think that takes priority, OK, against everything, b/c the GA gave you a certain mandate when it recognized you…"
21:11 pm
Cont'd: "…and you did not -- you ignored it when it came up at a meeting. When I say you, I'm saying the Facilitation team…" #nycsc #ows
21:11 pm
Stairs: "OK. You truly think that we can get thru that in less than an hour?" Trish: "I think we cn get thru that in less than 10 minutes."
21:12 pm
Trish is discussing in a loud side conversation "you may want to carry it longer, but I just want to say what I want to say." #nycsc #ows
21:12 pm
Trish: "10 minutes… 10 minutes…. 10 minutes…. 10 minutes. 10 minutes!" #nycsc #ows
21:14 pm
Sage is trying to pin down what we want to do, getting some heat from people who are mad he's taking over, but it's not clear that he is.
21:14 pm
Sage temp checks hearing housing's needs; meets no resistance, so: "Housing, please start discussing your needs." #nycsc #ows
21:14 pm
Housing: "Hello, we've been coordinating a lot of big issues. You'd be amazed at some of the nitty gritty details we have to deal with."
21:14 pm
Cont'd: "We've got people housed in theaters, churches, private apartments. We also have to deal w/ transportation issues." #nycsc #ows
21:15 pm
Cont'd: "In the last week, we had to ask 2 proposals from GA" as temporary stopgaps. "We're trying to coordinate a long-term solution."
21:15 pm
Cont'd; "The problem is, we're doing these things on a day-to-day basis, we're going to have future financial costs, and we're running.."
21:15 pm
Cont'd: "..into a problem right now where we need more metro cards, but the problem with going to GA is it requires a 24-hour waiting..."
21:16 pm
Cont'd: "…period and then you have to wait for GA since it doesn't happen every day." They want the streamlined process SC was meant to be.
21:16 pm
Cont'd: "We can go to the GA for $, but we want to be part of the Spokescouncil so we can have a mandate in this group." #nycsc #ows
21:16 pm
Cont'd: "There may be some people who don't want spokescouncil, but its mandate is clear." References previous PoI re: Spokes approving WGs.
21:17 pm
Cont'd: "When we're valid, then we can also ask for money w/o having to go through this 3-day process." #nycsc #ows
21:17 pm
Cont'd: "That's all we're looking for is the streamlined process already approved by the General Assembly." #nycsc #ows
21:18 pm
Trish: "When do I get to speak?" Stairs: "I've never done this before, it's really hard, & I really want this to work. Please work w/ me."
21:19 pm
People are asking how much longer for this item, and Stairs notes we're not on an item, we're just building the agenda. #nycsc #ows
21:20 pm
Sage and Becky, who are facilitating, are trying to figure out what roles they'll each play. #nycsc #ows
21:21 pm
Becky: "How does everyone feel about capping the agenda at 4 items?" We are cool with that. #nycsc #ows
21:21 pm
Agenda: 1. taking about 18th, 2. talking about the housing budget, 3. talking about spokescouncil 4 talking about SC not fulfilling duties.
21:21 pm
Trish is mad about that interpretation. "The fourth item: the SC abandoning its mandate re: logistical expenditures #OWS #Occupy mvmnt."
21:22 pm
That was verbatim, by the way. Trish: "Even tho they're still not functioning OK? I'm not saying they're an entity to address this but.."
21:22 pm
Cont'd: "..if they're addressing everything else." Stairs: "How do people feel about housing first, then the 18th?" We feel OK. #nycsc #ows
21:23 pm
CQ: "What we need to do is just basically do consensus as to whether they're going to be Spokes, correct?" #nycsc #ows
21:23 pm
Sage: "What we're doing right now, b/c spokescouncil has not been coagulated, without officially approving anyone else, we're just..."
21:23 pm
Cont'd: "…responding to Jeff from Housing. Evelyn is first." Evelyn: "Housing should be a primary need; every group should be…"
21:24 pm
Cont'd: "..involved in right here right now, because we need stability." Proposes we buy a building. #nycsc #ows
21:24 pm
"Been using churches, not sustainable. We nd buses, not metro cards which keep depleting our funds and then we have nothing to show for it."
21:25 pm
Someone says that we'd have to consent on moving back to the approval process and warn groups that would want to be in attendance. #nycsc
21:26 pm
Continues: "It was brought up earlier that there's some question as to who comprises the housing group," so need advance notice.
21:27 pm
Trish is next on stack. Trish: "What am I doing?" A: "Yr on stack." Trish: "Regarding what?" A: "Housing." Trish: "I had an agenda item."
21:27 pm
Nan is next. "I'm for housing; I sympathize w/ the homeless, people looking for a place to sleep, I help out w/ housing also…" #nycsc
21:27 pm
Cont'd: "…I do a lot for housing. I sympathize w/ housing. The thing w/ this is I'm w/ the ppl, I know what's going on, they tell me."#nycsc
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "Their injustice is something I always make sure. 2 women got kicked in the middle of the night at 86th Street." #nycsc #ows
21:28 pm
Cont'd: "One of them almost lost her baby." Says any plan to approve $ for churches, "I'll block it." #nycsc #ows
21:28 pm
Cont'd: Nan levels accusation against someone from Comfort for spending $350 on Metrocards. We're confused. #nycsc #ows
21:29 pm
Next, @blogdiva: "My only concern; we need to talk about immigration. I do not want this -- I actually have a proposal for facilitation.."
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "…to slow down proposals, to have groups put stuff online, make available to ppl w/o computers, so we don't have..."
21:29 pm
Cont'd: "…this situation where everything is rushed and we have to act in 5 minutes. You have until Monday to herd yr cats to.."
21:30 pm
Cont'd: "…work on housing." Notes that RAHKA should also be included in housing process. #nycsc #ows
21:30 pm
Ashley is next. Sage: "We're closing stack on this right now; Ashley is last on stack. It's 9:30 and we need to move on." #nycsc #ows
21:30 pm
Sage cont'd: "Nothing is being decided because this is not an official kind of decision." Ashley: "I agree w/ woman that just spoke."
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "Immigration is a very important issue we need to speak about; on Monday is "Occupy Strikes Back", #D12, will be a day of actions...
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "…many of us aren't going to be here. So I suggest we do it the following Monday bc it wouldn't be cool if many of us are doing DA."
21:31 pm
Cont'd: "And I also agree that SC should be just and fair and inclusive of all working groups." #nycsc #ows
21:32 pm
Becky: "What I'm hearing a lot of is more things that should be brought directly to the housing group and discussed there, and not…"
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "…ideally what we should be discussing here [in spokescouncil.] Nan's CQ: "If housing brings a proposal, I think we have the..."
21:32 pm
Cont'd: "…right to know the facts behind the proposal before we make any decisions. That's how I see it." #nycsc #ows
21:33 pm
Sage introduces next discussion, about conflicts on the 18th. "It looks like we're going to have a panel right now" #nycsc #ows
21:33 pm
First speaker on "panel": "#1, the main reason we are occupying wall street is b/c of the greed of the 1%, and everything comes down to $."
21:33 pm
Cont'd: "They're taking all the $, so we're fighting back to share that profit, the money that's being taken away from us, and housing etc."
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "There should be no ethically bringing $ to the table tht contradicts the #December18th mobilization of Immigrants around the world"
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "This is an ethical and moral issue; just because we put $5,000 on a program for some training, we cannot say the $ is more.."
21:34 pm
Cont'd: "…important than the immigrants here. Therefore my position, for OWS en Español, is that should be postponed." #nycsc #ows
21:34 pm
Next: "The fact that there was $ spent not the event is irrelevant -- I agree. Money sucks; we could talk about that over a long period.."
21:35 pm
Cont'd: "…of time, I think that's why we're all here. The GA's will, and the reason they passed a resolution in support of it, it did..."
21:35 pm
Cont'd: "…contain money, but also support, so it's the GA's will that this takes place." Notes it's hard to be at GA all the time, but...
21:35 pm
Cont'd: ..that's what was proposed. "The oppty to have 10-12 classrooms at PACE w/ access to all the resources at PACE is rare." #nycsc
21:36 pm
Cont'd: "It's an opportunity to do trainings, and help the movement operate. I don't want to be in a situation of competition..."
21:36 pm
Cont'd: "…there's also a sustainability event that day as well." Ashley next. #nycsc #ows
21:36 pm
Ashley: "I'm with WoN and we stand in solidarity w/ all the immigrants and undocumented workers all over the world." #nycsc
21:37 pm
Cont'd: "I think this could be a teaching moment, if we decide to do the right thing." Ashley says we don't want to talk about it. We do tho
21:37 pm
Ashley: "We need to stay authentic and true to what we stand for and we need to stand in solidarity w/ the International Day..."
21:38 pm
Contd: "…of Immigration Rights." Says we're making this about "the privileged portion of the 99%. B/c I'm looking around…" #nycsc #ows
21:39 pm
Cont'd: "…the last few days, and I'm not feeling inspired." [Ed: she hasn't been around.] Time called, but she's still talking. #nycsc #ows
21:39 pm
Next, @blogdiva. "I actually am w/ Tech Ops, and I'm organizing the conference on the 18th. Of all ppl who should have known about the …"
21:39 pm
Cont'd: "…immigrant event on the 18th, given that I distribute a lot of stuff on social media, should have been me." #nycsc #ows
21:39 pm
Cont'd: "This is a breakdown in communication. OK? And we in Tech Ops know this. We're trying to basically figure out the best…"
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "…way to deal w/ these breakdowns in communication. Here's the thing though: one of the things we've spoken to was…"
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "…it's gonna be a huge conference. We could take people from Liberty Square over there. It doesn't have to be either/or." #nycsc
21:40 pm
Cont'd: "If we're going to have people from all over the state come, we can take people to Zuccotti from there." #nycsc #ows
21:41 pm
Cont'd: "I'm your biggest ally and I'm organizing this, so I'll make sure this happens." #nycsc #ows
21:41 pm
Sage notes there are 5 ppl on stack, and Becky notes we need to be out the door at 10. #nycsc #ows
21:41 pm
Sage "just came up w" rule that people on panel have 30 seconds to respond. Ashley: "I trust this woman; if she's part of Tech group.."
21:42 pm
Cont'd: "…and she says she can bring people from this conference, I trust her, I can just feel the…" suggests a march from conference.#nycsc
21:42 pm
.@blogdiva asks that someone puts a proposal thru the GA tomorrow to declare solidarity w/ Immigrant Day of Action on 12/18. #nycsc #ows
21:43 pm
PoI: "We had reached an agreement w/ a proposal and we'd like to present it to the group." Temp check on that… #nycsc #ows
21:43 pm
Sage: "Does your proposal directly solve the reason for this panel?" Tech: "It's possible." Sage temp checks hearing panels' response or...
21:43 pm
Cont'd: "…continuing w/ stack." We want to hear the proposal. Sage: "You guys have 1 minute and if they want to keep talking, we're going.."
21:44 pm
Cont'd: "…to have to bust down stack to 30 seconds." Proposal: "To join the 18th time at PACE w/ the day of solidarity, and to take it..."
21:44 pm
Cont'd: "…to the assembly tomorrow so it will endorse both events, b/c we can use the space on the 18th to work towards immigration rights."
21:44 pm
Sage: "Hey guys, do you know what we just did? I don't know what to call it, but I'm happy, man." #nycsc #ows
21:45 pm
Becky: "Can I just say this is what I've seen the function of the spokescouncil being from the beginning? Is working groups…" #nycsc #ows
21:45 pm
Sage recognizes Nan, next on stack. "I want to add to the proposal, since I'm in solidarity w/ all the working groups, if you can send me.."
21:45 pm
Cont'd: "…an email, so I can get you guys support." Next: "I want to make sure we're not going down the road where the SC is.."
21:46 pm
Cont'd: "…working to modify something passed by the GA," but he's happy w/ this outcome as long as that isn't violated. #nycsc #ows
21:46 pm
Next: "What does this solidarity look like? Would there be a march? Would meetings be cancelled during that time?" #nycsc #ows
21:46 pm
Sage aggressively stacking, gives Marlena a minute since she hasn't spoken yet. "What about having the conference on the 17th?" #nycsc #ows
21:47 pm
Cont'd: "I'm aware that's the day of the re-occupation, but that doesn't mean that's what everyone wants to spend the 17th doing." #nycsc
21:47 pm
PoI: "There's an event on PACE at the 17th; that's why we can access the space b/c they won't be using it on the 18th." #nycsc #ows
21:47 pm
Next, brings up her housing suggestion, of trying to buy a building. "I really want to be in charge of that project." #nycsc #ows
21:48 pm
Sage: "It's 9:47; I think we accomplished something." Becky: "I think the other 2 things are big, and we wouldn't get thru them tonight."
21:48 pm
So that we can fully exit the space by 10, we're closing now. OK! Another experimental Spokescouncil. Community coming together. #nycsc #ows
21:48 pm
"Mic check! How about a round of applause for Sage and Becky for facilitating?" Applause! #nycsc #ows